PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Popping Sound When Stopping Passthrough Audio

agripus
May 27th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I'm fairly new to Ubuntu, but I've decided to take the plunge and use it on my HTPC in conjunction with XBMC for movie playback. I'm using an ASUS P5N7A-VM motherboard which is based on the Nvidia 9300/730i chipset. Currently using optical SPDIF out for audio. I've installed Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid, installed the third-party recommended drivers for Nvidia and figured out how to un-mute the SPDIF through Alsamixer.

Now I know from reading around that XBMC doesn't play nice with Pulseaudio sometimes. I've found that either I have to turn Pulse off altogether, or set the Hardware device on Pulse to one of the Analog options in order to get sound to work with XBMC. The issue I have is that if I use Pulse for Analog, I get this weird slow motion video effect for the first 4 seconds of me starting a video. If I turn off pulse, analog works without a hitch, however anytime I play a video that uses DTS or AC3 passthrough and stop it I get this weird click then pop sound over my speakers (No slow motion though).

I've searched quite a bit for a solution and have not found anything that works. Any help would be appreciated.