PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] No WLAN in Lucid

Rex Bouwense
May 25th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I did a clean install of Lucid on my old Compaq Deskpro. Previously, I had Hardy installed and everything was working fine. Now I cannot enable wireless (it is grayed out). I have activated the Broadcom legacy driver but there seems to be no way to enable the WIFI. Is there a command from the terminal to accomplish this.

Ozymandias_117
May 25th, 2010, 08:11 PM
If it's actually a kernel module problem, this won't help, but the command would be:

sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

Rex Bouwense
May 25th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the reply, I did that, but I got Unknown error 132.

Ozymandias_117
May 25th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Post the results of
sudo lspci | grep Network and I may be able to help you get the kernel module fixed.

Rex Bouwense
May 25th, 2010, 08:25 PM
As requested:

Ozymandias_117
May 25th, 2010, 08:45 PM
From what I've found out... That isn't a very Linux friendly card :P What you will probably have to do, is download the windows drivers, use ndiswrapper with the windows drivers and blacklist the native drivers.

You might want to look at:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=399820

If you need help understanding what to do from that, post back with your problem.

Rex Bouwense
May 29th, 2010, 01:25 AM
From what I've found out... That isn't a very Linux friendly card :P What you will probably have to do, is download the windows drivers, use ndiswrapper with the windows drivers and blacklist the native drivers.

You might want to look at:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=399820

If you need help understanding what to do from that, post back with your problem.

Sorry I took so long to get back here. Ozymandias, your response struck a memory of activating the wireless in Hardy two years ago. I dug through my notes and I still had the procedures and the code for activating it using ndiswrapper. Two years is a long time for me to remember stuff so that is why I write it down or print it out and file it away for future reference.
I will mark this thread as solved and thanks again for your reply.