PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing software in terminal

Orions
May 25th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Can anyone post some tutorial how to install progs in terminal? I hawe some files like tar.gz or something.

nmaster
May 25th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Can anyone post some tutorial how to install progs in terminal? I hawe some files like tar.gz or something.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware

in the future, you should try this link before starting a thread: http://www.google.com/cse?cx=012285703143635244993%3Ai9yr8qlpb18&q=

isaacj87
May 25th, 2010, 07:19 PM

Given the file type, it seems you've downloaded something you need to compile. What is the program that you've downloaded?

Orions
May 25th, 2010, 07:30 PM
it's kind a difficilt. Now I'm running on win vista, becouse the only internet connection avaiable is usb wireless modem, that runs only with software. The problem is to gen i-net for ubuntu, wich is secondary os on my laptop. MobilePartner.tar is the one.

And manual.. but I don't understand it. Anytime i need some help with ubuntu I must restart system, it's quite annoyng. I only need to get internet working, and than I could google ewerything from ubuntu myself.

--How to Install----------------------
*You need login as root*
1. Run "install" in TERMINAL to install MobilePartner
eg: # bash /<path>/install

2. If you had installed this software in your system before, you will get a prompt: "The software is exist, do you want overwrites? ([Y]/[N])", enter "y" to overwrites or "n" to exit.
3. If you do not had installed this software in your system before, you will get a prompt: "Please input the install path[/usr/local/Mobile_Partner]:". Then you can input install path(fullpath), or you may using the default path(/usr/local/Mobile_Partner) by press ENTER direct
4. Finish installing
--How to run--------------------------
* From shortcut in desktop
* Run MobilePartner in your install path
eg: # /<install path>/MobilePartner
* Plug in your device, it will run automatically(Not supported in Xandros)

bodhi.zazen
May 25th, 2010, 07:52 PM
A tar.gz is an archive, like a Zip file.

The contents can vary, what are you trying to install ?

Where did you get it ?

What is in the README file ?

If the package is in the Ubuntu repositories, use apt-get to install it.

If it is source code you first need to install any dependencies. You then extract the file and cd into the directory.

You then run

./configure
make
sudo make install

Nythain
May 25th, 2010, 07:54 PM
actually the installation looks pretty simple, it has an install script...
just un tar that bad boy then it looks like a good

sudo install

will do the trick, after following the directions/questions

Orions
May 25th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I can't use use apt-get to install it, because I hawen't internet connection when running on ubuntu. I am trying to install wireless usb modem and I get it from my local providers web page. Because theare isn't any info for total newbies in linux, I am not able to run it.
And this is readme:
*You need login as root*

2. If you had installed this software in your system before, you will get a prompt: "The software is exist, do you want overwrites? ([Y]/[N])", enter "y" to overwrites or "n" to exit.
3. If you do not had installed this software in your system before, you will get a prompt: "Please input the install path[/usr/local/Mobile_Partner]:". Then you can input install path(fullpath), or you may using the default path(/usr/local/Mobile_Partner) by press ENTER direct
4. Finish installing
--How to run--------------------------

Orions
May 25th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Ok, than what are the commands for un-taring it? And how I can change path in terminal?

Nythain
May 25th, 2010, 08:03 PM
cd /path/to/where/you/want/to/go

that will get you around, as for untar'ing, tar --help or google "untar gz", i dont know the command off the top of my head because i have my shell set to do it for me when i type in the name of a tar'd file :)

Ozymandias_117
May 25th, 2010, 08:04 PM
cd directory to change directories (Folders) eg.
cd Downloads remember that *nix is case sensitive, so Downloads, downloads and DOWNLOADS are three different files/folders.

then to untar is
tar -xvzf filename Though note if the tarball is .tar.bz2 then it would be tar -xvjf filename

da burger
May 25th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Though note if the tarball is .tar.bz2 then it would be tar -xvjf filename

If you don't want to learn 2 commands:

tar -xvaf filename
will work for either as long as the extension is accurate.

gandaran
May 25th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Orions
you don't need to run all those commands, just follow these simple instructions, move the package to your home user folder/directory, right click the package and choose extract, all extracted files must be on your user folder so you don't need the cd thing.
now open terminal and type sudo bash /install hit enter and your password, this is according to your instructions, should work, if any error messages post them.

Orions
May 25th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I hawe installed files, but now I can't launch it.
It's said in manual - --How to run--------------------------
But no desktop icons has appeared, and when I write in termial something like that - home/user/Desktop/Linux/MobilePartner Nothing happens.

And, yes, I had some errors about cannot create patch, but I restarted to Win vista, so I'm will not be able to post them. Strange is that, when I tryed to install prog one more time, terminal asked me if owerwrite files or not, so I think it's installed correctly. Maybee I can uninstall all Mobile partner files and reinstall?

Ozymandias_117
May 25th, 2010, 11:06 PM
If you don't want to learn 2 commands:

tar -xvaf filename
will work for either as long as the extension is accurate.

Awesome trick, good to know :)

SRST Technologies
May 25th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Orions
you don't need to run all those commands, just follow these simple instructions, move the package to your home user folder/directory, right click the package and choose extract, all extracted files must be on your user folder so you don't need the cd thing.
now open terminal and type sudo bash /install hit enter and your password, this is according to your instructions, should work, if any error messages post them.

Holy ****, what kind of terminal are you using that has a right click function to extract files?

Ozymandias_117
May 25th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Holy ****, what kind of terminal are you using that has a right click function to extract files?

+1 Also, why would he have to type sudo bash ./install? If you're in a bash shell... Not to mention I wouldn't sudo it unless it expressly states it has to be :P

bodhi.zazen
May 25th, 2010, 11:37 PM

Not the terminal, the gui / archive manager.

Add this to ~/.bashrc (taken from my ~/.zshrc :twisted: )

# Extract files from any archive
# Usage: ex <archive_name>
function ex ()
{
if [ -f "$1" ] ; then
case "$1" in

*.tar) tar xvf $1 ;;
*.tar.bz2 | *.tbz2 ) tar xjvf $1 ;;
*.tar.gz | *.tgz ) tar xzvf $1 ;;
*.bz2) bunzip2 $1 ;;
*.rar) unrar x $1 ;;
*.gz) gunzip $1 ;;
*.zip) unzip $1 ;;
*.Z) uncompress $1 ;;
*.7z) 7z x $1 ;;
*.xz) tar xJvf $1 ;;
*) echo ""${1}" cannot be extracted via extract()" ;;esac
else

echo ""${1}" is not a valid file" fi
}
# Modified by bodhi.zazen
# Thanks to rezza at Arch Linux

coolman98
May 25th, 2010, 11:37 PM
First read the install page witch will give you instructions to install.
If you can't find it google it'if you STILL can't find anything then
cd to the directory (eg. cd /home/christopher/john
make
make install.:P

gandaran
May 26th, 2010, 06:48 AM
I hawe installed files, but now I can't launch it.
It's said in manual - --How to run--------------------------
But no desktop icons has appeared, and when I write in termial something like that - home/user/Desktop/Linux/MobilePartner Nothing happens.

And, yes, I had some errors about cannot create patch, but I restarted to Win vista, so I'm will not be able to post them. Strange is that, when I tryed to install prog one more time, terminal asked me if owerwrite files or not, so I think it's installed correctly. Maybee I can uninstall all Mobile partner files and reinstall?

Orions
where did you install the files? in home/user/Desktop/Linux/MobilePartner?
according to instructions you have to specify the install path and install them in the root file system (Please input the install path[/usr/local/Mobile_Partner]:". Then you can input install path(fullpath), or you may using the default path(/usr/local/Mobile_Partner) by press ENTER direct) or the software won't work.
did you use sudo in the install command? you have to if you want the root install.

SRST Technologies
May 26th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Not the terminal, the gui / archive manager.

I was working under the assumption that since the user asked for terminal commands, they did not want to or could not use the GUI.

michaelA1330
May 26th, 2010, 01:10 PM
sudo-apt-get-install-"program"

SRST Technologies
May 26th, 2010, 01:52 PM
There is no dash after install.

sudo apt-get install foo

3rdalbum
May 26th, 2010, 02:27 PM
First, I'll ask whether you have actually tried seeing if you can use the modem from Network Manager without having to install the driver? You'll need to right-click the network manager applet on your panel and choose Edit Connections, then go to Mobile Broadband and click the Add button.

Now, if this doesn't work to set up the connection, THEN install the software.

*You need login as root*

In the terminal, type the following, make sure there's a space at the end, and then drag the "install" file to the terminal:

sudo bash

When you've dragged the file to the terminal, click in the terminal again to bring it to the front, and then press Enter.

Then you can input install path(fullpath), or you may using the default path(/usr/local/Mobile_Partner) by press ENTER direct

Yep, so just press Enter and it will install to /usr/local/Mobile_Partner.

The file is in /usr/local/Mobile_Partner. This is a location on your hard disk. You can right-click your desktop and choose "Create Launcher", and then click the "Browse" button and choose the /usr/local/Mobile_Partner location. Give the launcher a name, and there you go.

Orions
May 26th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Yes, I used sudo, but did not changed install path. But somethin hapened in terminal, vith errors folowing:

Please input the absolute path for install[/usr/local/Mobile_Partner]: /aspire6
Local path is: /usr/local/Mobile_Partner
Installing Mobile Partner...chmod: cannot access `/usr/local/Mobile_Partner/config': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `./config/fontconfig/fontconfig.properties': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `./config/fontconfig/fontconfig.SuSE.properties': No such file or directory
[ done ]
Installing Driver...
/usr/local/Mobile_Partner/driver/ndis_driver
The current system can not support ndis feature
ADDRUNLEVEL=/etc/rc3.d
`/etc/rc3.d/S99runhwactivator' -> `/etc/init.d/runhwactivator'
`/etc/rc3.d/K10runhwactivator' -> `/etc/init.d/runhwactivator'
ADDRUNLEVEL=/etc/rc2.d
`/etc/rc2.d/S99runhwactivator' -> `/etc/init.d/runhwactivator'
`/etc/rc2.d/K10runhwactivator' -> `/etc/init.d/runhwactivator'
ADDRUNLEVEL=/etc/rc4.d
`/etc/rc4.d/S99runhwactivator' -> `/etc/init.d/runhwactivator'
`/etc/rc4.d/K10runhwactivator' -> `/etc/init.d/runhwactivator'
ADDRUNLEVEL=/etc/rc5.d
`/etc/rc5.d/S99runhwactivator' -> `/etc/init.d/runhwactivator'
`/etc/rc5.d/K10runhwactivator' -> `/etc/init.d/runhwactivator'
./driver/install: line 114: chkconfig: command not found
cp: cannot create regular file `/etc/acpi/suspend.d/': Is a directory
chmod: cannot access `/etc/acpi/suspend.d/010-huawei-suspend.sh': No such file or directory
Finished, press any key to exit

How to change install path to root directory?

jagmeet
May 26th, 2010, 05:03 PM
fg

krizanand
August 8th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Sorry guys to poke into this thread, I am having a problem installing tar.bz2, application I am trying to install is Firefox 4.1 beta, I unpacked it got into the terminal cd to that path and typed ./configure it says no such file or directory could be found, then I typed make ***same thing*** then make install ***same thing***

Am I doing anything wrong here? please guide me to install.

Yes I did some searching and found nothing clear cut on this. If you can pull up some threads on this which I couldn't please post it here I will get on with it..

Many Thanks..:p

mikewhatever
August 8th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Sorry guys to poke into this thread, I am having a problem installing tar.bz2, application I am trying to install is Firefox 4.1 beta, I unpacked it got into the terminal cd to that path and typed ./configure it says no such file or directory could be found, then I typed make ***same thing*** then make install ***same thing***

Yes I did some searching and found nothing clear cut on this. If you can pull up some threads on this which I couldn't please post it here I will get on with it..

Not all tar.gz files contain source code. Many are compressed binaries, which is usually the case with Firefox. All you need to do is unpack it, cd into the unpacked directory, and run the 'firefox' executable.

bodhi.zazen
August 8th, 2010, 06:10 PM

As mikewhatever indicated, it depends on the contents of the archive. tar file (.tar.bz) are archives, like zip files. You need to look at the contents, read the README, or look of the web page where you obtained the archive for instructions. Of course instructions vary in quality, but I tend to avoid installing poorly documented applications.

FYI: Firefox comes as a binary, although you can also download and compile the source code. Detailed instructions for doing so are on the mozilla web pages:

http://www.mozilla.org/developer/

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Build_Documentation

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/

Firefox is a bit complicated as you can see. I posted a how to compile icecat, which is basically firefox without the branding.

http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/icecat-64-bit-how-to-compile/

The how-to is written for 64 bit icecat on Fedora, but you should be able to adapt easily for Ubuntu.

If you prefer there is a ppa for nightly builds of firefox

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=730868

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-daily/+archive/ppa

Personally , I prefer to compile icecat, but there is a ppa for icecat as well =)

https://launchpad.net/~gnuzilla-team/+archive/ppa/+packages

krizanand
August 13th, 2010, 08:44 AM
@mikewhatever Thanks! a lot, was scratching my head on this, I didn't know it would be this simple. Directly opened the firefox executable file, voila! it prompted me to "open in terminal" and everything was fine.

@bodhi.zazen Thanks! for taking your time in putting those links much appreciated, I am very new to Ubuntu and learning things slowly, surely will go through those links and try.

Thanks a lot guys, have a good day.:D