PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Window decorations disappear constantly

Jamppi
May 25th, 2010, 06:14 PM
My Ubuntu has an annoying problem: after every few or more days when I log on, all of the windows start border-less. I then have to Google and fix it, but it never stays that way for long.

Often it happens after the laptop has been in suspended state. I wonder if there is a connection?

Nevertheless, I am beginning to lose hope.

Picture:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy119/evore1911/Screenshot.png

isaacj87
May 25th, 2010, 07:22 PM
What are you doing to fix it?

It sounds like Compiz is failing to start on boot/log in. I had this problem recently and just forced Compiz to start up automagically on log in.

Jamppi
May 27th, 2010, 07:00 PM
What are you doing to fix it?

It sounds like Compiz is failing to start on boot/log in. I had this problem recently and just forced Compiz to start up automagically on log in.

Usually the problem goes away when I reboot, (it starts with borders) but it is an annoying problem... never had this problem in Karmic.

I'd like to get rid of this problem.

wojox
May 27th, 2010, 07:05 PM
You did the usual and checked in ccsm that the Window Decorations plugin was checked?

Jamppi
May 31st, 2010, 10:17 PM
You did the usual and checked in ccsm that the Window Decorations plugin was checked?

Yes. This is as I opened it, I did not modify anything.

Only thing is that, every time this bloody thing happens, I open "Change Desktop Backround" and choose "Visual Effects" , it has all three options unchecked. When I choose Extra, nothing happens, except it unchecks Window Previews, Screenshot and few other options. I always have to recheck them.

Then I restart.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy119/evore1911/Screenshot-1.png

Legendary_Bibo
May 31st, 2010, 10:26 PM
It happens to me half the time I boot up. If you have the compiz fusion icon (which you should get if you don't after this ordeal) you can right click and click on 'reload window manager'

If not open terminal and type this in or copy and paste

compiz --replace

If that doesn't do anything you'll have to revert to metacity then change it back to compiz

metacity --replace

Jamppi
May 31st, 2010, 10:29 PM
After I choose Extra on the Visual Effects and restart, the borders are back on, but all of my previous settings are gone.

I have to go through the process of setting them again every 3 days.

Is there a solution, please?

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy119/evore1911/Screenshot-2.png

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy119/evore1911/Screenshot-3.png

Jamppi
May 31st, 2010, 10:31 PM
It happens to me half the time I boot up. If you have the compiz fusion icon (which you should get if you don't after this ordeal) you can right click and click on 'reload window manager'

If not open terminal and type this in or copy and paste

compiz --replaceIf that doesn't do anything you'll have to revert to metacity then change it back to compiz

metacity --replace

I will try that next time his happens.... I'll post the results here.

Thx for advice!

Legendary_Bibo
May 31st, 2010, 10:33 PM
After I choose Extra on the Visual Effects and restart, the borders are back on, but all of my previous settings are gone.

I have to go through the process of setting them again every 3 days.

Is there a solution, please?

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy119/evore1911/Screenshot-2.png

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy119/evore1911/Screenshot-3.png
Yeah it happens to me too when I turn off the effects. Did you try my suggestion? Also you can attach photos so that we don't have to look at the big images across our screens.

realzippy
May 31st, 2010, 10:49 PM
Great,I am not alone!
Had this issue on 2 Lucid machines,both 195.36.15+compiz+emerald.Sometimes also gnome panels not loaded...
Amazing randomness;sometimes it works,sometimes autostart workarounds are ignored.Weird...

Disabling autologin solves this problem here,on both machines.

ElSlunko
May 31st, 2010, 10:57 PM
Same issue here but I think mine stems back to karmic. Anywho, compiz --replace fixes it for me.

Jamppi
May 31st, 2010, 11:02 PM
Great,I am not alone!
Had this issue on 2 Lucid machines,both 195.36.15+compiz+emerald.Sometimes also gnome panels not loaded...
Amazing randomness;sometimes it works,sometimes autostart workarounds are ignored.Weird...

Disabling autologin solves this problem here,on both machines.

I am not using autostart. I made 2 accounts, one for me and the other for my wife. This BS usually happens when she is logged in, I log her out and log myself in. Then it Ubuntu starts without the decorations. Then I have to fiddle with the settings, check Extra, then restart and put all of the settings again until next time.

Karmic was much more stable... good thing I didn't upgrade my work pc to Lucid, I'd have lost my mind by now. :guitar:

ElSlunko
May 31st, 2010, 11:03 PM
I am not using autostart. I made 2 accounts, one for me and the other for my wife. This BS usually happens when she is logged in, I log her out and log myself in. Then it Ubuntu starts without the decorations. Then I have to fiddle with the settings, check Extra, then restart and put all of the settings again until next time.

Karmic was much more stable... good thing I didn't upgrade my work pc to Lucid, I'd have lost my mind by now. :guitar:

Takes 2 seconds to type compiz --replace. I do it with gnome-do. Could try it with alt+f2. Yeah it's not an excuse but just memorize the simple command so you don't have to google it next time.

realzippy
May 31st, 2010, 11:23 PM
I have compiz --replace in autostart (needed for FSAA to work btw.)
Yesterday again lost borders.Added emerald --replace (anyway loaded in ccsm,but who knows these days) -in karmic no probs- and it seemed to work...
Today again,no window decorator loaded... :confused:
Disabled autologin seems to help,Jamppi discouraged me,we will see.

So which video driver/window decorator are you all running?2.6.32-22-generic?

launchy
May 31st, 2010, 11:33 PM
if u have ubuntu tweak installed try going to session control and replace gnome-wm with compiz --replace. And make sure under window management everything under window decoration and compositing manager (ubuntu tweak as well) is unchecked.

Jamppi
June 3rd, 2010, 09:06 AM
compiz --replace works.

Thanks.

Derspankster
June 5th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I'm affect as well but only occasionally. I may boot a dozen times successfully but then have it happen. I have the Compiz Fusion icon installed so I simply reload the GTK window manager from there. But, it is annoying.

I autologin. have not tried turning that off but as it such a random issue it might take me awhile to confirm that manually logging on is a fix.

Frogs Hair
June 5th, 2010, 04:09 PM
I had a slight problem with this when using Emerald . Emerald has a known bug in 10.04 so I removed it until
it is more stable . Many people are having this problem without using Emerald , so I think I just got lucky.

nekr0z
October 13th, 2010, 06:24 AM
I have this behaviour since upgrade to Maverick. No autologin, no emerald, nothing. compiz --replace obviously helps, but is there a way to fix this thing once and forever, please?

yurx cherio
May 31st, 2011, 04:12 PM
To fix the problem I do this. I go to Compiz configuration and uncheck "Windows Decorations" then wait a few seconds then check it back.

It is very annoying.

Fercho
July 22nd, 2011, 11:59 PM
To fix the problem I do this. I go to Compiz configuration and uncheck "Windows Decorations" then wait a few seconds then check it back.

It is very annoying.

Try restoring to default the option "Command" in "Windows Decorations". I was having the same problem after upgrading to Ubuntu 11.04 and I restored that option (default is /usr/bin/compiz-decorator ) and borders do not disappear any more.

You've probably solved this already, but maybe this helps somebody else.

sturdy
July 25th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I'm having a similar problem...when I boot I have no window decorations, top title bar or window borders, and strange behavior. This first began immediately after install of 11.04 with the classic desktop but was okay with Unity. Yesterday my Unity was trashed so I reverted to the classic desktop and found this thread. If I run compiz --replace, the missing windows items are replaced but fails again on reboot. Here seems to be the problem: When I run compiz --replace this message is left in the terminal...

"Couldn't find a perfect decorator match; trying all decorators
Starting unity-window-decorator"

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

megaDee
March 14th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Hi,

I have the same problem. I manage to bring it back by typing unity --reset but the problem keeps coming back. I have the feeling it occurs especially when using Firefox (11) and opening pop-ups but this might be just perception.

11.10 auto upgraded from Ultimate Edition 2.8, not autologin, CompizConfig, no Emerald

Any ideas? Even radical ones like reinstalling my Ubuntu?

--m

---

Edit: I tried the suggestion by Fercho (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=119118) and I think it works. So far the window decorations didn't disappear.