PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] to upgrade or not to upgrade?

marbertone
May 25th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Hello everybody!
I'm an enthusiastic Ubuntu user (I did the sequel: Dos 3.0, Windows 3.0, 3.1, 95, 98, XP, Vista and then I discovered a serious OS: Ubuntu) and I find that Karmic on my laptop works flawlessly (after many tricks to configure Webcam + Internet Key). Well... I'm really tempted to try 10.04 but I'm afraid of encountering:
1. Troubles in the update procedure
2. Hours to re-configure webcam and Internet Key
Guys,
is "if it works good leave it as it is" part of Ubuntu philosophy?
:)
Thanks guys
Mario Alberto

whoop
May 25th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Karmic will be supported until April 2011 (so you probably shouldn't use it after that)...
The rest is up to you I guess.

irv
May 25th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Have you tried the live CD to make sure things work OK? If not, do so first before installing or upgrading. If you haven't downloaded the ISO file and burned a CD goto: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Sef
May 25th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Moved to ABT.

flyfishingphil
May 25th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Hello everybody!
I'm an enthusiastic Ubuntu user (I did the sequel: Dos 3.0, Windows 3.0, 3.1, 95, 98, XP, Vista and then I discovered a serious OS: Ubuntu) and I find that Karmic on my laptop works flawlessly (after many tricks to configure Webcam + Internet Key). Well... I'm really tempted to try 10.04 but I'm afraid of encountering:
1. Troubles in the update procedure
2. Hours to re-configure webcam and Internet Key
Guys,
is "if it works good leave it as it is" part of Ubuntu philosophy?
:)
Thanks guys
Mario Alberto
I just went thru a complete re-install of 9.10 from 10.04. Found lots of conflicts that I didn't have in 9.10 regarding printer(s) and a couple of other areas. I plan on staying with 9.10 for a while longer to give 10.04 a chance to become as "user friendly" as 9.10.

Understand, I am new to Ubuntu, don't write programming, and am a deaf, blind operator trying to move around in a hurricane when it comes to figuring this stuff out, but 9.10 is sure a good example of Ubuntu, as far as I am concerned.

marbertone
May 25th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks a lot, guys!
You helped me to clarify my ideas!
Have a good Ubuntu experience you too!
See you,
Mario Alberto
:KS