PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] IDE to SATA

nene7
May 25th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I want to buy a converter IDE(ATA) to SATA for and old pc, but i was searching in eBay and all the people i ask if support Linux they say "no". I want to know if the converter don't support Linux?

EXAMPLE;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170479399475#ht_2378wt_952

mk1w86
May 25th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I would have thought the adapter would have been transparent to the OS, but I could be wrong. :-k

How old is the PC? You might be better off getting a SATA PCI card instead, I have done that for a couple of older machines.

The adapter you have linked to looks like it is designed to connect an IDE hard drive to a SATA connector, is this what you want?

nene7
May 25th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Yes that what i want to do, because i dont find cheap ide hdd and i better buy the converter to sata hdd that are more cheap and have more space.

mk1w86
May 25th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Yes that what i want to do, because i dont find cheap ide hdd and i better buy the converter to sata hdd that are more cheap and have more space.

If that is the case don't you want to connect a SATA hard drive to an IDE connector?

However, I would still recommend a SATA PCI card over the adapter.

3rdalbum
May 25th, 2010, 03:03 PM
"Easy install with no driver required" and it says it's compatible with versions of Windows and Mac OS that predate the introduction of SATA. I'd say it's OS-transparent and will work with any operating system.

You might as well give it a go, it's only $5, or buy a SATA card.