PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Operative system repairs ?

Innernet
May 25th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Hi.
Is there any way to scan the 10.04 installed version to determine if any files are corrupted ?
If yes, how to repair or reload those found bad without going to a fresh install and repartitioning ?

I suspect my Ubuntu got in trouble somehow, by glitches during installation.

Is there an operative system health/integrity diagnostics ?

Peter09
May 25th, 2010, 09:06 AM
if you do

sudo apt-get update

and

sudo apt-get upgrade

it should warn you if any existing packages are corrupt.

inameiname
May 25th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Synaptic Package Manager under the 'custom filter' section will let you know also if you have any 'broken' packages on your system. An alternative to the terminal.

Peter09
May 25th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Yep - forgot about that one inameiname.

Drenriza
May 25th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I do not believe their is any problems. If the system works as expected.

Shutsdown
Boots
Works

and all those normal things.

oldos2er
May 25th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Is there any way to scan the 10.04 installed version to determine if any files are corrupted ?

If you're talking about filesystem corruption, you can run fsck on reboot with
sudo touch /forcefsck

bodhi.zazen
May 25th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Hi.
If yes, how to repair or reload those found bad without going to a fresh install and repartitioning ?

I suspect my Ubuntu got in trouble somehow, by glitches during installation.

Is there an operative system health/integrity diagnostics ?

I think it is best to start with a description of the problem you are having.

Linux is not Windows, and corrupt files would be highly unusual, and almost always a result of a hardware problem, ie failing hard drive, or sometimes due to hitting the power button rather then shutting down the computer.

In terms of searching for corrupt or altered file systems, you typically need to start with a known good system for comparison. It is much more difficult after the fact.

You should start by looking at your logs for clues / problem. Again, it helps to familiarize yourself with the logs before you have a problem , otherwise how would you know what is "normal" ?

To reinstall an application you would use the --reinstall option

sudo apt-get install --reinstall foo

Innernet
May 25th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Petr09: Updates and upgrades performed, took about half hour. No improvement.

Drenriza: The system does not work as expected. Font size changes randomly by itself, mouse pointer dissappears after loging-in, returns whenever it wants (if it gets back); and reboots randomly :confused:

oldos2er: will try that and will report later. Am not at the compfuser site now.

Thanks

Innernet
May 26th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Well, no success on fixing whatever is or was wrong. Reloaded 10.04 again fresh from another new copy of the LiveCD.
Seems more stable so far, and the mouse pointer has not dissappeared yet.

But... At the first booting, a black screen reported a list of errors.

Goofed, did not take notes.
Is there a log, and how to reach for it, so can be submitted here to the forum ?
Thanks.

Innernet
May 26th, 2010, 08:00 PM
After the new 10.04 reload, later, mouse pointer dissappeared. Crashed again, rebooting to nowhere every 10 seconds.

Removed the hard drive and placed the same brand and model hard drive with my backup 7.10 and it is smooth charming performance.

My compfuser is allergic to anything newer than 7.10 :(

no2498
May 26th, 2010, 08:31 PM
why not try 804 i did have 710 also

i tried 910 on this 1 and did not like it so now use 804

also have a dell 6400 put 910 on it and its ok