PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATi Driver issues

radiopools
May 24th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Running Ubuntu 10.04, ati radeon hd 4870. I have looked online for ways to install ati drivers but I keep reading different things, or things that only pertain to the 5xxx series of cards. I think I have some sort of video drivers installed, as the splash image is displaying at my monitor's native resolution, and I am able to run the neat compiz wiggly windows and desktop-cube-rotating animations, yet when I power up WoW through wine, it gives me a frame every 3-4 seconds, and the graphics are very distorted. Not exactly sure what drivers/if i actually have any drivers installed. How can I check that / how can I get these working? http://www.overclock.net/images/smilies/teaching.gif

I'm almost debating moving over to nvidia since I'd prefer linux to be my primary OS haha.

EDIT: Okay, I went to System>Admin>Hardware Drivers, and activated that fglrx driver. I restarted, and now I have a black border around the splash image. It's still the correct resolution, but everything is squished due to this black border around the splash image. WoW is running correctly now though. Any ideas on how to fix this border?

Edit2: Border still here, tried messing with resolutions in WoW, but when I try to change the resolution to anything but the smallest window, the game crashes.

Edit3: Went ahead and downloaded drivers from ati, figured out how to install them, did that, now I still have a border around the screen, my windows don't move fluidly (they leave copies that dissipate off the screen as the window moves) and I no longer have the animated cube flip thingy. it's as if there aren't any drivers installed at all.

sandyd
May 24th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Running Ubuntu 10.04, ati radeon hd 4870. I have looked online for ways to install ati drivers but I keep reading different things, or things that only pertain to the 5xxx series of cards. I think I have some sort of video drivers installed, as the splash image is displaying at my monitor's native resolution, and I am able to run the neat compiz wiggly windows and desktop-cube-rotating animations, yet when I power up WoW through wine, it gives me a frame every 3-4 seconds, and the graphics are very distorted. Not exactly sure what drivers/if i actually have any drivers installed. How can I check that / how can I get these working? http://www.overclock.net/images/smilies/teaching.gif

I'm almost debating moving over to nvidia since I'd prefer linux to be my primary OS haha.

EDIT: Okay, I went to System>Admin>Hardware Drivers, and activated that fglrx driver. I restarted, and now I have a black border around the splash image. It's still the correct resolution, but everything is squished due to this black border around the splash image. WoW is running correctly now though. Any ideas on how to fix this border?

Edit2: Border still here, tried messing with resolutions in WoW, but when I try to change the resolution to anything but the smallest window, the game crashes.
Thats normal. Its becasue the ATI propreity drivers don't have KMS (Kernel MOde Setting)

Edit3: Went ahead and downloaded drivers from ati, figured out how to install them, did that, now I still have a border around the screen, my windows don't move fluidly (they leave copies that dissipate off the screen as the window moves) and I no longer have the animated cube flip thingy. it's as if there aren't any drivers installed at all.
run

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

restart

and install the drivers from the "System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers" window

radiopools
May 24th, 2010, 08:22 PM
running that command and restarting fixed the splash image issue (hooray!) but I no longer have the neato wobbly windows or desktop cube animations, and WoW doesn't load. The system>admin>hardware drivers selection is already activated. Should I deactivate it?

sandyd
May 24th, 2010, 08:39 PM
running that command and restarting fixed the splash image issue (hooray!) but I no longer have the neato wobbly windows or desktop cube animations, and WoW doesn't load. The system>admin>hardware drivers selection is already activated. Should I deactivate it?

deactivate it, restart and reactivate it. the OSS aradeon drivers are incpmatible with the Ati opengl drivers, so you wont have any opengl until you do the above.

radiopools
May 24th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Okay, I deactivated it and restarted. Now I'm trying to reactivate it and I'm getting

"SystemError: installArchives() failed"

Edit: I'm also getting a note saying that I have 1 Broken package, when i looked in the package manager, the broken package is "fglrx-amdccle"

sandyd
May 24th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Okay, I deactivated it and restarted. Now I'm trying to reactivate it and I'm getting

"SystemError: installArchives() failed"

Edit: I'm also getting a note saying that I have 1 Broken package, when i looked in the package manager, the broken package is "fglrx-amdccle"
go into the package manager and install "fglrx"

radiopools
May 25th, 2010, 12:52 AM
"E: /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx_2%3a8.723.1-0ubuntu3_amd64.deb: subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1"

Sorry, dont know why it's being such a pain :(

radiopools
May 25th, 2010, 04:37 PM
the fglrx driver is uninstalled / deactivated. When I go to System>Admin>Hardware drivers and it brings up the FGLRX driver, I click activate, and it gives me an error:

SystemError: installArchives() failed

In my upper panel, I have a red circle with a white line through the center, telling me I have one broken package. When I try to fix the broken package, I get:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx_2%3a8.723.1-0ubuntu3_amd64.deb: subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1

When I look at the details, it says:

Errors occured while processing:
fglrx-amdcccle

completely removed fglrx-amdccle from package manager, restarted, and tried to reinstall it. Got this error:

[Warning] Uninstall : inst_path_default or inst_path_override

does not exist in /etc/ati. This suggests that the ATI driver

is not installed, the ATI driver is only partially installed,

or the current ATI driver installed is an older version than the

one this script was designed for. Both files listed above are

required for determining where installed files are located.

To force uninstallation of the driver by guessing where the

uninstallation files are located, set the FORCE_ATI_UNINSTALL

environment variable and re-run /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh (this is not recommended).

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx_2%3a8.723.1-0ubuntu3_amd64.deb (--unpack):

subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1

Selecting previously deselected package fglrx-amdcccle.

Unpacking fglrx-amdcccle (from .../fglrx-amdcccle_2%3a8.723.1-0ubuntu3_amd64.deb) ...

Errors were encountered while processing:

/var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx_2%3a8.723.1-0ubuntu3_amd64.deb

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of fglrx-amdcccle:

fglrx-amdcccle depends on fglrx; however:

Package fglrx is not installed.

dpkg: error processing fglrx-amdcccle (--configure):

dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

When I tried a second time, I got a pop-up saying this:
Check if you are using third party repositories. If so disable them, since they are a common source of problems.
Furthermore run the following command in a Terminal: apt-get install -f

running that command just gives me the above error.

GothicSatan187
May 27th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Anyone found a fix for this yet? i'm having the same exact problems running Ubuntu Lucid 64 bit, ati radeon mobility 4200HD?