PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can partimage make an exact clone of a device for later recovery?

frenchn00b
May 24th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Can partimage make an exact clone of a device for later recovery?

I made an image *.000 of my CF disk, with partimage, and restored it, but photorec/testdisk do not find anything. It is weird because they were still on teh disk before I do partimage.

It seems that partimage does NOT close the bits like they are...

best regards

Mark Phelps
May 24th, 2010, 04:44 PM
My experience in personally using Partimage was for backing up and restoring full Ext3 partitions. Have not tried using it to backup full device (drive).

Also, know that it does NOT work for Ext4 filesystems, and what I read, is that it is NOT going to be updated to do that.

nhasian
May 24th, 2010, 05:48 PM
i put clonezilla on a usb-thumbdrive and boot from it to back up partitions or entire images or hard disks. Also it does work with EXT4 filesystems

srs5694
May 24th, 2010, 06:12 PM
From the partimage main page: (http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page)

Partimage will only copy data from the used portions of the partition. (This is why it only works for supported filesystem (http://www.partimage.org/Supported-Filesystems)). For speed and efficiency, free blocks are not written to the image file.

Partimage does do a byte-level copy, but it ignores those bytes that it believes are not currently in use. Because of this, if your disk is damaged (lost partitions, accidentally deleted files, filesystem corruption, etc.), partimage will not reliably back up anything that's not already reliably readable in more conventional ways, and tools like testdisk or photorec will be unlikely to recover anything from the source disk when using the backup disk.

For low-level data recovery using testdisk/photorec or similar tools, you must work on a complete low-level copy. In Linux, the usual way to create such a copy is with dd, as in:

sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb

This command copies all of /dev/sda onto /dev/sdb. (To be reliable, /dev/sdb must be at least as large as /dev/sda.) It copies even unused sectors (or sectors which the filesystems or partition table says are unused), so it can take quite a while to complete -- much longer than partimage would take on a little-used disk. OTOH, the backup should be useful for recovery operations with testdisk/photorec or similar tools.

jerome1232
May 24th, 2010, 06:18 PM
You can make dd go a bit faster if you toss some options at it.

dd if=/dev/sdx of=~/sdx.img bs=1M conv=notrunc

Actually if your working with a damaged disk you may want to use ddrescue.Check the man pages and really know what your doing when using these tools.

ddrescue /dev/sdx ~/sdx.img

frenchn00b
May 24th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Thank you very very much guys for so much talented and experienced replies !!!

I shall have used dd or ddrescue :(