PDA

View Full Version : 50 Places Linux is Running That You May Not Expect!

tuxtorch
May 24th, 2010, 03:00 PM
http://www.focus.com/fyi/information-technology/50-places-linux-running-you-might-not-expect/

Check this article out, awesome!:guitar:

wojox
May 24th, 2010, 03:01 PM
You should use the forum search box and see how many times that's been posted. :)

tuxtorch
May 24th, 2010, 03:05 PM
You should use the forum search box and see how many times that's been posted. :)

Oops sorry.

wojox
May 24th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Oops sorry.

It's okay, you just got excited. ;-)

That is pretty neat though to see all the different companies.

ssj6akshat
May 24th, 2010, 03:13 PM
It's okay, you just got excited. ;-)

That is pretty neat though to see all the different companies.

OMG! he got so excited that his tux burst into flames.

wojox
May 24th, 2010, 03:16 PM

:lolflag:

gnomeuser
May 24th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I remember back in.. 1991 I think it was I went to LinuxForum (now called Open Source Days) and one of the keynote speakers was the then Debian Leader.

He recounted a story of how some user had approached him with a problem in a certain use case (for busybox if I recall correctly). He worked on it for a couple of hours to make it work for the user and a couple of days later a mail arrived with the text "thank you Debian is now going into space". Turns out the application was for a project going up on the space shuttle.

Linux in space, no joking.

tuxtorch
May 24th, 2010, 03:31 PM

:lolflag:

Flame On!

WinterRain
May 24th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I remember back in.. 1991 I think it was I went to LinuxForum (now called Open Source Days) and one of the keynote speakers was the then Debian Leader.

Think 93 or 94.

In order to facilitate development, the (original) files were uploaded to the FTP server (ftp.funet.fi) of FUNET in September 1991. Ari Lemmke, Torvald's coworker at the University of Helsinki who was one of the volunteer administrators for the FTP server at the time, did not think that "Freax" was a good name. So, he named the project "Linux" on the server without consulting Torvalds.[7] Later, however, Torvalds consented to "Linux".

I highly doubt linux forums started popping up in the last few months of 91. And, Debian was founded in 1993.

gnomeuser
May 24th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Think 93 or 94.

In order to facilitate development, the (original) files were uploaded to the FTP server (ftp.funet.fi) of FUNET in September 1991. Ari Lemmke, Torvald's coworker at the University of Helsinki who was one of the volunteer administrators for the FTP server at the time, did not think that "Freax" was a good name. So, he named the project "Linux" on the server without consulting Torvalds.[7] Later, however, Torvalds consented to "Linux".

I highly doubt linux forums started popping up in the last few months of 91. And, Debian was founded in 1993.

True, I am getting old. I still have the conference t-shirt though and I remember that has the year printed on it. When I find it I will correct the year.

I just remember the story since it drew a lot of laughter and wows.

bunburya
May 24th, 2010, 05:42 PM
For some reason I'm always surprised to see places running Linux. Like when I found out that a pub near my college uses openSUSE.

kaldor
May 24th, 2010, 06:43 PM
A local optical clinic uses a very old and deprecated Linux distro with GNOME on all the computers.

Legendary_Bibo
May 24th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Wow, this is pretty cool. Although I like Cuba's reason for using linux :lolflag:

chessnerd
May 24th, 2010, 10:58 PM
This is a really good article, and I even used it in a school paper about Linux. However, this has already been posted about before on the forums.

Once a week ago: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1486481 (this thread closed after I pointed this out)
Once in March: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1437903

It has also been mentioned in other threads several times.

I find it interesting that an article like this would be so popular.

beercz
May 24th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Here's another place where Linux is being used (http://lidd.net)

VastOne
May 26th, 2010, 02:37 PM

I appreciate the OP posting it...I would have never seen it as I had no reason to search for it...

Thanks.... It is an awesome article and the additional ppl who added onto it via quotes is just as impressive. My favorite was Cisco....