PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] disappearing wireless

Aisthesis
May 24th, 2010, 02:55 PM
just installed ubuntu 10.04 clean, and now the machine doesn't see the wireless network. machine is a dell laptop (studio something or other), and the wireless connection switch is in the on position.

i tried manually configuring, using the settings from this (windows) machine, but still no connect.

any ideas?

TheUnwiseman
May 24th, 2010, 02:57 PM
What kind of wireless card does your laptop have? Does it see any other wireless networks besides your own?

Aisthesis
May 24th, 2010, 03:06 PM
no, doesn't see any networks at all, but should see 3. checking on network card.

TheGnomeOfMetal
May 24th, 2010, 03:07 PM
is your wireless card on? it sounds like it isnt.

Aisthesis
May 24th, 2010, 03:09 PM
i'll bet it's the card. in trying to find out, i looked under hardware drivers and got the message that they're missing because i can't connect...

TheUnwiseman
May 24th, 2010, 03:10 PM
First make sure that it is turned on in the BIOS. If it is, I'm going to guess there's something wrong with the drivers for your wireless card. I've got a Dell Studio 1537 laptop with a Broadcom wireless card, and when I tried out Karmic on a different hard drive, I had to disable the native driver and manually install Broadcom's driver.

Aisthesis
May 24th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Broadcom BCM 4322 802.11a/b/g/n wireless LAN controller

that should be the relevant device, but also listed is Broadcom Netlink ... Gigabit Ethernet, which is presumably just my ethernet connection port.

Aisthesis
May 24th, 2010, 03:15 PM
yeah, i think we have the same laptop. i'll double check BIOS (still F2 with ubuntu like windows?).

do you think i could download the driver on my windows machine, then put it on my flash drive to get it over to the linux machine?

TheUnwiseman
May 24th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller

That's mine too! Exact same one. Let me see if I can find you the link to their proprietary drivers...

Edit:
http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php
There you go. You'll also need to disable the current driver. I think there's an archived thread on this somewhere in the forum. Let me look for that, too.

Aisthesis
May 24th, 2010, 03:19 PM
yes, all the wireless settings are enabled in the BIOS

Aisthesis
May 24th, 2010, 03:24 PM
will my ubuntu 10.04 install be 64-bit or 32-bit? it didn't ask me, so it just installed the way i got it. or, in case of doubt, where do i go to see whether i'm 64- or 32-bit in linux (sorry, still very new to navigating it)?

TheUnwiseman
May 24th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I don't quite remember where the driver settings are in 9.10/10.04 (I'm still using 9.04). Maybe someone who has a little more experience can help us out?

I know that you'll want to add the old driver to the blacklist in /modprobe.d and, after doing a make install of the new driver, set up a startup script in /init.d to enable the good driver every time you boot.

Aisthesis
May 24th, 2010, 03:31 PM
sigh, just running the downloads under the link you gave won't do the trick?

in any case, how do i determine whether i'm 32-bit or 64-bit? broadcom does say that's important to know? (i was running 64-bit windows 7 before, if that has any significance, although it really shouldn't since i did a clean wipe)

TheUnwiseman
May 24th, 2010, 03:33 PM
will my ubuntu 10.04 install be 64-bit or 32-bit? it didn't ask me, so it just installed the way i got it. or, in case of doubt, where do i go to see whether i'm 64- or 32-bit in linux (sorry, still very new to navigating it)?

You can type:

uname -m
into your terminal to find out. If it's got '64' in what it prints out, you're running 64-bit. I'm running 32-bit, and I get back i686.

Aisthesis
May 24th, 2010, 03:37 PM
yeah, i get back i686, too.

when i look under system monitor, i see T6400, though, for both processors, and then ext4 for the file system...

but you're sure that means 32-bit?

TheUnwiseman
May 24th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Unless the guide I read told me wrong. And T6400 is just the model of the CPU. It bears no effect on whether it's 32-bit or 64-bit. It just so happens to be 64-bit. But you installed 32-bit Ubuntu. That's what is important.

TheUnwiseman
May 24th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Found the original lines of code I was looking for!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7191219&postcount=3

"wl" is the driver you'll need to black list, and get your computer to modprobe b43 and ssb on startup.

Aisthesis
May 24th, 2010, 04:17 PM
ok, i'm surprized that a new release of ubuntu is 32-bit, but i'll just do it that way. so, i've got the driver, and installed it (actually tried both and rebooted). no change.

so, what do i do next?

Aisthesis
May 24th, 2010, 04:19 PM
when i type in 'blacklist wl' in the terminal, i get the message 'command not found'

Aisthesis
May 24th, 2010, 04:27 PM
in etc/modprobe.d/ there are 7 different blacklist files: blacklist.conf (probably the one to use?), blacklist-ath_pci.conf, blacklist-watchdog.conf, etc.

Aisthesis
May 24th, 2010, 04:31 PM
moreover, when i try to edit blacklist.conf, it tells me that i don't haved the necessary permissions, hence can't edit ... :(

TheUnwiseman
May 24th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Sorry, I just took a big nap. Yes, blacklist.conf is the one you want to edit. You'll want to edit it from the command line:

sudo gedit blacklist.conf
or, if you prefer vim:

sudo vim blacklist.conf

Aisthesis
May 25th, 2010, 05:11 PM
well, in the meantime, i thought i'd try fedora, but i'm still having the same problem. so, i thought i'd check back here for ideas.

here's where i'm at so far:

1) enter 'blacklist wl' in the file blacklist.conf
2) get the driver at the link you gave.

then how do i go about installing the good driver?
what exactly do you mean by modprobe-ing something or other?

i've never used linux at all before, so i really need detailed instructions.