PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] New user unable to boot up - purple screen of death.

rainmouse
May 24th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Hi there

I have never tried linux before so I tried to install Ubuntu. I first tried to install through windows using Wubi. After installed I rebooted and always hit a blank purple screen. For a first ever attempt at linux it was pretty disheartening and after a few google searches for a cure I gave up and went back to windows.

Few weeks later I thought I would give it another shot and downloaded a CD image from Ubuntu.com, burned it, set bios to boot from CD first and booted up. I got a Ubuntu title and 5 coloured progress dots with the purple background then after a bit those vanished leaving me back with the same blank purple screen and no signs of life. Left it about ten minutes and still nothing. I ran a few more google searches and searched this forum a bit but nothing jumped out as the same problem.

Can anyone help?

My spec is:
An intel i7 920 @ 2.7 GHZ with 8 CPU's.
6 gig of ram and a radion HD 5700 series graphics card.

rainmouse
May 24th, 2010, 01:06 PM
OK after thinking about my own hardware spec I fixed the problem which turns out to be my own stupidity. I had a dual screen setup on windows but my secondary monitor pretty much died so I disabled it etc on software but left it plugged in and turned off. Seems Ubuntu liked it better for my primary monitor which is why my other screen was left blank and purple.

On a side note its interesting that a China bot has replied to my query within 5 minutes of the original post, impressive.