PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Tutorial: How To Download From Youtube, Use Text To Speech Simply Through FireFox

Nick.Sth
May 24th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Hello there.
Are you bored of having to type an entire paragraph into you're terminal to download a simple youtube song and convert it?
Or having to search for hours to find a legit text to speech converter and then spend more hours configuring it?

Well guess what. There is a solution to you're problems.
And it's called. FireFox!
Firefox is an open source web browse used by over 160million people world wide!
And it comes complimentary with you're Ubuntu installation!

Well lets get started.

Lets say you want to download a youtube video. (Or even a naughty video from any site^^)
You're tired of using ffpmeg, and taking 2 years to type in a command.
Firefox is here to rescue you.
With its magical
Add Ons!!
And specificly:
Video DownloadHelper (yes one word)
Here's a precise link: <snip>
It's a very simple add on to use. Let's say you're on a site and you're watching a video, right next to the link of the site (to the left) there will be 3 little bubbles floating arrounds. Click on them, chose you're video (you can chose between the qualities) and download it!
O ye, and did I mention you can convert it too?!!

Well thats a great add-on. But what if you dont like it? Or you just want to quickly download a youtube video in mp3 format!
Once again, there is a solution through firefox to that too.
With the simple add on of:
Youtube To Mp3
Precise Link: <snip>
It's probably even easier to use than DownloadHelper!
Once you're watching your video on youtube, right above the comments and underneath the views there will be a some words saying:
DOWNLOAD AND CONVERT TO MP3 or something like that.

Are you bored of reading?
Have you seen Safari/iPhone using people have there Cumputer/Phone do all the reading?!!
Have you been searching for ages for a legit Text-To-Speech and once you do find one it doesnt bloody work?
Well once again, FireFox is to the rescue!
With the Extremely Simple Add-On of:
Text To Voice
Precise Link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/91405/
All you need to do is highlight the text you want it to read, right click and left click on "SPEAK IT", even a monkey could do it.
Ok the voice is a bit robotic but its a female so.. it adds a nice touch too.
Oh by the way did I tell you? You can download the spoken text after listening to it!

Now this is more of a theme than an add-on, and I just want to show it tou you because its great! It makes firefox look 100times nicer, and by my opinion its the nicest theme out there!
It's called:
Noia eXtreme
Precise link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/72/

I hope you find these add-ons just as usefull as I do.
Nick

warfacegod
May 24th, 2010, 12:30 PM
The easiest way I have found to get videos such as on youtube is to move them from the /tmp folder.

lisati
May 24th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Thread closed. We do not support circumventing the Youtube terms and conditions here.