PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Monitor powering off during install - Probably an easy fix

rob <
May 24th, 2010, 03:49 AM
I'm having trouble installing the latest Ubunto I downloaded from the Ubunto homepage.

I'll load it into my CD tray, the loading screen will come up (the Ubunto animation with orange/white dots) and then my monitor conks out. It feels like it's being put into power save mode, or that it's searching for a certain resolution that it can't achieve or something.

It's an old CRT monitor on a fairly powerful desktop that used to run XP, but lately hadn't been able to boot up properly so I figured I'd install Ubunto and try to learn it.

When the monitor dies, it won't come back on like you'd think it would. It just sits. I can hear the CD drive working for a minute, and then stops. Maybe there's a command I can enter?

If anyone can help I'd very much appreciate it. If you need to know more about my system I'll try to answer.

Ozymandias_117
May 24th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Do you have an ATI Radeon HD 5xxx series gfx card?

rob <
May 24th, 2010, 04:20 AM
ATI Radeon X1200

The monitor is a MAG DX-700T if that matters.

Ozymandias_117
May 24th, 2010, 04:34 AM
During boot, on the purplish screen, press esc. Then it will pull up a menu press "f6" for other options and try installing with "nomodeset"

rob <
May 24th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Cool, I'll give that a shot in a minute. Upgrading my video drivers. I turned it on and expected it to die, but to my surprise, Vista loaded up.

Ideally, it'll be the last time.

edit: had to burn a new disc, trying now.

rob <
May 24th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Seems to be working.

You sir have my vote of awesomeness.

rob <
May 24th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Bah, it won't install now because I have a RAID drive.

"the ext4 file system creation in partition 1 failed"

Or some such. I think my HDD is wonked.

Ozymandias_117
May 24th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I've never tried to set up a RAID in *nix but I thought it supported them out of the box...

You should probably make a new post, if you haven't already, and hopefully you can find someone who can help you. :)