PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installing Command Programs

walkerchuckwalker
May 24th, 2010, 02:24 AM
How do you install command line programs? Are scripts and command line programs the same? Are there any repos that have helpful command programs?

UnknownFear
May 24th, 2010, 02:58 AM
Could you maybe elaborate on what exactly you are wanting to know? If you mean by installing applications/programs via the terminal, you only need "apt-get". For example. say I wanted to install the Empathy IM client. I would open a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install empathy

lovinglinux
May 24th, 2010, 03:00 AM
How do you install command line programs?

The same way, although I'm not sure they are available in the Software Center, because I don't use it. Nevertheless, you can find any program available in the Ubuntu repositories using Synaptic Package Manager (System >> Administration >> Synaptic). Search for "command-line" and you will find a lot of programs.

HAre scripts and command line programs the same?

No. Scripts are essentially a bunch of commands put together in a file and executed one after another. They can interact with each other, to create a complex data flow or not. Command-line programs are just programs that don't have a graphical interface and thus are only controlled from command-line. Nevertheless, some command-line programs might be scripts as well, which depends on the language used to create the program.

Are there any repos that have helpful command programs?

The Ubuntu repositories are full of them, but unless you are looking for something specific, searching form them might be overwhelming.

wojox
May 24th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Try

sudo apt-get install irssi

It's a great cli IRC client.

http://www.irssi.org/

qjmoss
May 24th, 2010, 06:35 AM
I agree, give irssi a go.

not only will it allow you to get comfortable with looking at a terminal, but if you use IRC, it's a great client :D