PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] view this web cam

bob brazie
May 24th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Ubuntu 10.04 and FireFox 3.6.3

Can someone tell me how to view this web cam?

http://www.tappedintoelephants.com/asp/index.php

I am trying to set my wife up with Ubuntu and if she can't view her favorite web cams it will be a deal breaker. <g>

Thanks in advance.

themusicalduck
May 24th, 2010, 03:17 AM
I managed to get it to display by right clicking on "click here" under the webcam box and Save link as.

Then I opened the downloaded file in vlc and it worked. It might be possible to get vlc to be the default media player in Firefox. It's probably trying to play it with Totem and it wouldn't work when I opened the file with it. At least you can view it opening it in vlc if necessary.

I was disappointed that it was night time and I couldn't see any elephants :P

bob brazie
May 24th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Check back later and you will see plenty.

There must be a way to have it play in FireFox by default. That will be a deal breaker for my wife to do all of those steps to view the cam.

Any one have other suggestions?

Thanks, Bob.

themusicalduck
May 24th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I think I've found a fix. Install gecko-mediaplayer.
sudo apt-get install gecko-mediaplayer

It now works in Firefox for me, but just not for Chrome.

It seems to take quite a long time to load though, but it might work better for you.

bob brazie
May 24th, 2010, 04:24 PM
It does take a long time to load but thanks for the work around.

I sure wish it would play in the embedded site player. It seems it is looking for a MMS protocol source. Microsoft Media Server protocol source. Some sort of plug in for FireFox maybe.

Maybe someone knows what this is and how to install it?

themusicalduck
May 24th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Does it not play in the embedded player on the site for you after installing that package? It plays ok for me on Firefox.

bob brazie
May 24th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Oh, yes it does after a re-start. But it is sooooooo slow to load.