PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Virus in dual boot?

ktran
May 24th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and new to Linux too, I got a question...

So recently I installed Xubuntu on my old desktop, and it was great, fast and easy to use....in fact I loved it so much that I want to install Ubuntu on to my new laptop as a dual boot along with Windows 7.
Now we all know that Linux OS can receive viruses, but because most of the virus are written for Windows it doesn't effect Linux. Now say if I contracted a windows virus in my Ubuntu OS, is it possible that the virus would spread over and infect my windows 7 which is in a different partition?

If the virus can spread from like that, is there a way to prevent this, a workaround somehow?

ibuclaw
May 24th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and new to Linux too, I got a question...

So recently I installed Xubuntu on my old desktop, and it was great, fast and easy to use....in fact I loved it so much that I want to install Ubuntu on to my new laptop as a dual boot along with Windows 7.
Now we all know that Linux OS can receive viruses, but because most of the virus are written for Windows it doesn't effect Linux. Now say if I contracted a windows virus in my Ubuntu OS, is it possible that the virus would spread over and infect my windows 7 which is in a different partition?

If the virus can spread from like that, is there a way to prevent this, a workaround somehow?

Here we go again...

There are no viruses in Linux per say. And downloading Windows viruses (intentionally?) in Linux will not infect your Windows partition. Windows viruses cannot run under Linux due to ABI incompatibility so there is not such thing as contraction.

You can, however, scan files you download with, ie: clamav before you move them to a Windows-readable partition and reboot into Windows, where the possible virus/trojan/other will *then* be able to do damage to your Windows system.

Regards