PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Finding the server configuration.

jkb609gi8
May 23rd, 2010, 09:05 PM
Hello, I am setting up evolution for the first time.

I go on-line by using a friends wireless router signal.
He receives his Internet via satellite, a company called xplore.net.
He also is not a computer savvy person and has no idea what a server even is, he just has the Internet account paid direct from his bank account.

As for myself, I don't know much more than he.

So is there anyway of finding out the following information.

First of all I do not know what server type I have?

Under configuration, how do I find out what my server is?

Thanks........

spiky001
May 23rd, 2010, 09:36 PM
Not sure if I have the right place if not sorry got this from google, I know its for thunderbird but you might find what sort of server it is

http://www.xplornet.com/support/faq/email/using-xplornet-email-address-in-an-email-program,-not-webmail.aspx

click on thunderbird look through the pages see if it helps, ONLY if it is the correct ISP
if you cant figure it out maybe an email to isp they will give yo the settings you need

jkb609gi8
May 24th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the advice spiky, I had and look at the link, and is helpful.
It makes wonder if I know what I doing.

What I am trying to do is download several hundred e-mails in one go from a folder I have in my Yahoo e-mail account. Apparently you can use this program (or whatever) called POP.

It appears that I need a program like OutLook Express, however I am not sure about this.
I thought Evolution was the Ubuntu equivalent to OutLook, however perhaps there is another way of doing this. Is Tunderbird like OutLook? :mad:

gmxgeek
May 24th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Personally, I prefer Thunderbird over most email clients. It's very easy to use, and has a nice intuitive interface. Most ISP's and email providers even have instructions on how to set it up.