PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Why two Gnome panels

welshmike
May 23rd, 2010, 03:21 PM
Probably a stupid question, sorry.
Why does Gnome have two panels?
I have the two panels at the bottom on my screen
I wondered if it would be possible to merge the contents of the panel that contains Applications, Places, System and my launch icons with the panel that contains the show-desktop, date, help, shutdown and username.

howefield
May 23rd, 2010, 03:25 PM
Right click one of the panels and select "Add to Panel", add as appropriate, then delete the redundant panel.

cascade9
May 23rd, 2010, 03:26 PM
Probably a stupid question, sorry.
Why does Gnome have two panels?
I have the two panels at the bottom on my screen
I wondered if it would be possible to merge the contents of the panel that contains Applications, Places, System and my launch icons with the panel that contains the show-desktop, date, help, shutdown and username.

No, its not a stupid question, but I've got a stupid answer- I have no idea why gnome has 2 panels. It doesnt make sense tio me, but heh, I'm not a gnome user.

Yes, it is quite possible (and fairly easy IIRC) to have the contents of the 2 panels merged into 1 panel.

welshmike
May 23rd, 2010, 03:46 PM
howefield,

Thank you for your very promp and helpful answer. That has helped me have more vertical space on my netbook.

Mike

Right click one of the panels and select "Add to Panel", add as appropriate, then delete the redundant panel.

welshmike
May 23rd, 2010, 03:52 PM
cascade9,

Thanks.
What GUI do you use?

Mike

No, its not a stupid question, but I've got a stupid answer- I have no idea why gnome has 2 panels. It doesnt make sense tio me, but heh, I'm not a gnome user.

Yes, it is quite possible (and fairly easy IIRC) to have the contents of the 2 panels merged into 1 panel.

cascade9
May 23rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
KDE or Xfce mainly, though I sometimes use/test others (LXDE, fluxbox, iceWM).

*edit I was going to post the same thing as howefield about how to add to a gnome panel (its teh same under Xfce), but I though since I wasnt 100% sure it was better not to do that ;)