PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.04 desktop version ask for username and password, Help or Stop!!!

soyo
May 21st, 2010, 09:39 AM
I got the fresh installation of Ubuntu 10.04 desktop version.

But it asked for username and password to login. I didn't set any username and password.

I tried to use ubuntu and blank.
Try ubuntu - it still ask for username and password .
Install ubuntu - it still ask for username and password .

What can I do? I'm very disappointed.

lisati
May 21st, 2010, 09:43 AM
When you installed Ubuntu it should have asked for your name and a password. If you remember what you typed in, use those.....

soyo
May 21st, 2010, 10:33 AM
When you installed Ubuntu it should have asked for your name and a password. If you remember what you typed in, use those.....

I didn't see any username and password to set.

Joe of loath
May 21st, 2010, 10:38 AM

It was on the page where it asked you for your full name and what you wanted to call your computer.

soyo
May 21st, 2010, 10:40 AM
It was on the page where it asked you for your full name and what you wanted to call your computer.

There is no such a page. I selected try ubuntu.

mikewhatever
May 21st, 2010, 10:41 AM

Then you must have installed Windows XP and not Ubuntu. :P

soyo
May 21st, 2010, 10:42 AM
Then you must have installed Windows XP and not Ubuntu. :P

I boot from ubuntu CD and install directly.

3rdalbum
May 21st, 2010, 11:47 AM
To clarify: You haven't installed Ubuntu, you are just trying the live CD. Right?

If you got the ISO disk image from somewhere other than Bittorrent, then try checking the MD5 sum of the ISO file, to make sure that your download has not stuffed up.

If that checks out alright, or if you used Bittorrent to download, then try reburning the image onto good quality media, at a speed of 8x or as close as you can get to that, and after burning allow the CD to cool to room temperature before using it.

The live CD should just automatically log in, but things can go wacky if there's a problem with the CD.

lisati
May 21st, 2010, 09:59 PM
There is no such a page. I selected try ubuntu.

I boot from ubuntu CD and install directly.

There lies the problem: if you boot from CD and select "TRY" you aren't actually installing Ubuntu.

soyo
May 24th, 2010, 02:08 AM
To clarify: You haven't installed Ubuntu, you are just trying the live CD. Right?

If you got the ISO disk image from somewhere other than Bittorrent, then try checking the MD5 sum of the ISO file, to make sure that your download has not stuffed up.

If that checks out alright, or if you used Bittorrent to download, then try reburning the image onto good quality media, at a speed of 8x or as close as you can get to that, and after burning allow the CD to cool to room temperature before using it.

The live CD should just automatically log in, but things can go wacky if there's a problem with the CD.

I tried to try it and install both. They need username and password both.

The MD4 sum is d044a2a0c8103fc3e5b7e18b0f7de1c8. It's same as the d044a2a0c8103fc3e5b7e18b0f7de1c8 *ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386.iso.

soyo
May 24th, 2010, 02:08 AM
There lies the problem: if you boot from CD and select "TRY" you aren't actually installing Ubuntu.

I did try to install.

icem3n
May 30th, 2010, 04:04 AM
i have the same problem i try to Mount the image and is asking for the User-name and Password i dont understand why is asking for User-name and Password the Most common password for distros is Root and Toor but i downloaded another image and the same thing:mad: i really need some help.....

shuail
July 31st, 2010, 05:42 PM
i had the same problem
all what you need to do is to restart your pc and press "Enter"
once you see the ubuntu logo then a menu will appear where you can choose " install ubuntu "
thats it ....

Zorgoth
July 31st, 2010, 07:15 PM
If you told it your full name, your usernamewill be your first name, all lower case.

isaac890
August 23rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
You guys are of no help what so ever.

I checked out the ubuntu website and they said that if the live cd asks for a username or password, just press ENTER without any username or password. If that dont work, then just give it time until the login times out and you will be good to go.

However, i waited till i gave up (close to 1 hour) and still it didnt time out. I tried another ISO but still same problem. Yet when i tried Kubuntu 10.04 it didnt ask for any password.

Still puzzled. Any help???? I dont want to use Kubuntu................

graphius
August 23rd, 2010, 03:01 PM
Calm down...
I am guessing that, for some reason, when you installed Ubuntu, you missed the password page. I would suggest reinstalling, possibly, as one poster suggested, from a known good copy.

isaac890
August 25th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Sorry if i sounded very ...........

The problem is that i want to install Ubuntu. So i put the cd in the tray, start my computer press F12 to boot from cd. Then it loads, I select the language (English). Then I select option: Install Ubuntu. Now from there I am taken to a page where i must first login with a username and password as if I had already installed Ubuntu. But the thing is that I am just trying to install. So I am wondering why I have to login before I even install the system. Now i have tried several copies.

Zorgoth
August 25th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Are you sure that it isn't asking you to enter them for the first time or something? That is very weird. This is the live CD straight from Ubuntu's website?

graphius
August 25th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I think it is asking you to make a password. IIRC you cannot have a blank password in ubuntu. Also, you will have to enter the same password twice to confirm.

arkitech
August 27th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I wonder if this problem is related to the hardware that the liveCD is run from?

I work in a PC repair shop and I frequently use 10.4 liveCD to gain access to files for customers who have corrupted Window installations. I find that the liveCD is a great tool to test hardware functions on a PC before I reinstall the customer's OS.

Anyway to make a long story short I've used my liveCD on about 10 different systems with no problems. However I recently tried to run the CD on an Averatec laptop and I was prompted for a username and password.

Usually when I select try Ubuntu it takes a few moments for the liveCD to load the desktop. However with the Averatec laptop, instead of taking me to the desktop it prompts me to login. I've tried supplying blank credentials but was unable to login. Not sure what causes Ubuntu to look for a username and password when there was not one put in place.

I'm going to try this again using another flavor Ubuntu just to see what happens...

cornelis spronk
August 29th, 2010, 12:43 AM
I think your computer has run into bug #589520.

I attempted to install 10.04 on one of my computers several times. Even when I tried to install it without a password, it would ask for one, and I could not get beyond the page that requested the password.

Get a copy of 9.04 or 9.10 and install it. If these install correctly, I suggest you use it till a solution for that bug is found.