PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] PC Dead after UBUNTU Install

Englischdude
May 20th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Hi All,

am a complete Linuy newbie, and just tried to install UBUNTU 10.04 on my laptop.

Acer I5 windows 7 4gb RAM etc.

As am new I chose a parallel install, where I dont need to use a separate partinion. The install went ok, but now when I try to reboot I get nothing.... absolutely nothing, just a black screen.

Any ideas?

Thanks ina dvance for yoour help
Martin

scott1541
May 20th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I would see about booting from the windows recovery disc (hope you have one)
and running the one of those recovery tools to try and get the computer booting into windows again. If this worked then i would get the partitions sorted out with a tool like gparded (live cd). Then you can attempt another ubuntu install but straight to the pre prepared partition.

darkod
May 20th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Did you run it in live mode first to check for any hardware issues? It might be a video driver problem.

Englischdude
May 21st, 2010, 05:38 AM
Dear Friends,
thank you very much for your support. This is the new situation:

When i start the laptop, there is literally nothing fo about 3 minutes, just a black screen (seems like an eternity when you are waiting), after which, the computer slowly begins to react. The first thing im confronted with after a total of about 4 minutes is a selection of the partitions, the first two are ubuntu, ubuntu recovery, there are some further option with just letters, and the last two are "windows vista loader" and "windows 7 loader".

If I select the first option, Ubuntu loads normally.
If I select the last option "windows 7 loader", then I am redirected to what I think is the GRUB bootloader where I have the coice to select between UBUNTU and WINDOWS.

If I select here UBUNTU it loads normally, but if I select windows, i get the windows 7 start screen and then it just hangs, I dont get to the screen where I can look at the BIOS etc.

I am a complete newbie so would appreciate your help. Probably should have looked for that before even starting this project eh.

Thanks you all
Martin

Englischdude
May 21st, 2010, 05:44 AM
PS:

YeS, i ran in live mode first. Generally everything was ok, just a webcam issue.

Yes I have the win7 recovery cds, just dont know how to use them :)

When I am back this afternoon I will post a list of all the option im presented with upon booking with the first menu. Says little to me, but im sure you guys could decipher it.

Why do you think the computer hangs for about 3 minutes with a completely black screen upon starting?

Thanks
Martin

wilee-nilee
May 21st, 2010, 06:35 AM
If you let the Ubuntu Cd resize the W7 partition that is your 1st problem. You only want to use the virtual disk manager in W7 for this. You may want to post this script for darkod and the rest of us to see whats going on. Post it in code tags by highlighting the script in the reply and clicking on the # in the reply window.
http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

If you have a W7 install dvd you can restore it's bootloader with this.

1) Boot with your Vista/Windows 7 installation disk. Hit <Enter> at the language selection prompt then hit <R> for Repair to get to the Repair section.

2) Select the command prompt (console) and type in the following commands:

BootRec.exe /fixmbr (#updates MBR master boot record...do not run if you still want grub)
chkdsk /r
BootRec.exe /FixBoot (#updates PBR partition boot)
BootRec.exe /ScanOs
BootRec.exe /RebuildBcd

Here is a link that describes getting to the command line in W7.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/20864-mbr-restore-windows-7-master-boot-record.html

These instructions are per oldfred so thank him if it works.

I would post the bootscript before you do anything though, darkod is very astute at this sort of thing so the boot script gives the information needed.

darkod
May 21st, 2010, 11:17 AM
If I select the first option, Ubuntu loads normally.
If I select the last option "windows 7 loader", then I am redirected to what I think is the GRUB bootloader where I have the coice to select between UBUNTU and WINDOWS.

This shouldn't happen. When selecting win7 it should try to boot win7, not present a windows bootloader menu which has ubuntu entry in it.

Did you also installed wubi inside windows by any chance? That is the only way to get ubuntu entry in the windows bootloader (except some special operations)?

Run the script, as suggested, it will show us more.

wilee-nilee
May 21st, 2010, 11:32 AM
This shouldn't happen. When selecting win7 it should try to boot win7, not present a windows bootloader menu which has ubuntu entry in it.

Did you also installed wubi inside windows by any chance? That is the only way to get ubuntu entry in the windows bootloader (except some special operations)?

Run the script, as suggested, it will show us more.

Geez I totally missed that part, good call. I'm always concerned about giving any repair options.

Englischdude
May 21st, 2010, 12:25 PM
Hi Team,

is this what you are looking for?

Regards
Martin

Boot Info Script 0.55 dated February 15th, 2010

============================= Boot Info Summary: ==============================

=> Grub 2 is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks on the same drive in
partition #5 for /boot/grub.

sda1: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System:
Boot files/dirs: /bootmgr /boot/bcd

sda2: __________________________________________________ _______________________

Operating System:
Boot files/dirs: /bootmgr /Boot/BCD

sda3: __________________________________________________ _______________________

Operating System: Windows 7
Boot files/dirs: /bootmgr /Windows/System32/winload.exe /wubildr.mbr
/ubuntu/winboot/wubildr.mbr /wubildr
/ubuntu/winboot/wubildr

sda4: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: Extended Partition
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:

sda5: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: ext4
Boot sector info:
Operating System: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Boot files/dirs: /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab /boot/grub/core.img

sda6: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: swap
Boot sector info:

=========================== Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda ___________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Platte /dev/sda: 640.1 GByte, 640135028736 Byte
255 Köpfe, 63 Sektoren/Spur, 77825 Zylinder, zusammen 1250263728 Sektoren
Einheiten = Sektoren von 1 × 512 = 512 Bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition Boot Start End Size Id System

/dev/sda1 2,048 24,578,047 24,576,000 27 Hidden HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 * 24,578,048 24,782,847 204,800 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 24,782,848 662,457,027 637,674,180 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda4 662,458,366 1,250,263,039 587,804,674 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 662,458,368 1,227,313,151 564,854,784 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 1,227,315,200 1,250,263,039 22,947,840 82 Linux swap / Solaris

blkid -c /dev/null: __________________________________________________ __________

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/sda1 DAA41C49A41C2B11 ntfs PQSERVICE
/dev/sda2 F0FC1254FC121586 ntfs SYSTEM RESERVED
/dev/sda3 5600196400194C7D ntfs ACER
/dev/sda4: PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/sda5 7937588b-cabc-4972-af7d-a5d27f29e561 ext4
/dev/sda6 40251a51-a58f-48fa-8720-c64f85490d42 swap
/dev/sda: PTTYPE="dos"

============================ "mount | grep ^/dev output: ===========================

Device Mount_Point Type Options

/dev/sda5 / ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/sr0 /media/Recovery1 udf (ro,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=1000, iocharset=utf8,umask=0077)
/dev/sda3 /media/ACER fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_ permissions)

=========================== sda5/boot/grub/grub.cfg: ===========================

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
load_env
fi
set default="0"
if [ ${prev_saved_entry} ]; then
set saved_entry=${prev_saved_entry}
save_env saved_entry
set prev_saved_entry=
save_env prev_saved_entry
set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
if [ -z ${boot_once} ]; then
saved_entry=${chosen}
save_env saved_entry
fi
}

function recordfail {
set recordfail=1
if [ -n ${have_grubenv} ]; then if [ -z ${boot_once} ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
}
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,5)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 7937588b-cabc-4972-af7d-a5d27f29e561
if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
set gfxmode=640x480
insmod gfxterm
insmod vbe
if terminal_output gfxterm ; then true ; else
# For backward compatibility with versions of terminal.mod that don't
# understand terminal_output
terminal gfxterm
fi
fi
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,5)'
set locale_dir=($root)/boot/grub/locale
set lang=de
insmod gettext
if [ ${recordfail} = 1 ]; then
set timeout=-1
else
set timeout=10
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
set menu_color_normal=white/black
set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry 'Ubuntu, mit Linux 2.6.32-21-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,5)'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic root=UUID=7937588b-cabc-4972-af7d-a5d27f29e561 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-21-generic
}
menuentry 'Ubuntu, mit Linux 2.6.32-21-generic (Wiederherstellungsmodus)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,5)'
echo 'Linux 2.6.32-21-generic wird geladen …'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic root=UUID=7937588b-cabc-4972-af7d-a5d27f29e561 ro single
echo 'Initiale Ramdisk wird geladen …'
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-21-generic
}
### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###
menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+)" {
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,5)'
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin
}
menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)" {
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,5)'
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin console=ttyS0,115200n8
}
### END /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
menuentry "Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sda1)" {
insmod ntfs
set root='(hd0,1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set daa41c49a41c2b11
chainloader +1
}
menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda2)" {
insmod ntfs
set root='(hd0,2)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set f0fc1254fc121586
chainloader +1
}
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

=============================== sda5/etc/fstab: ===============================

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=7937588b-cabc-4972-af7d-a5d27f29e561 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=40251a51-a58f-48fa-8720-c64f85490d42 none swap sw 0 0

=================== sda5: Location of files loaded by Grub: ===================

468.1GB: boot/grub/core.img
506.8GB: boot/grub/grub.cfg
468.1GB: boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-21-generic
468.1GB: boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic
468.1GB: initrd.img
468.1GB: vmlinuz

darkod
May 21st, 2010, 12:36 PM
The results look normal, except that you do have wubi (or traces of it) inside your win7. Since you already have a full install of ubuntu too, you could try booting into win7 and removing wubi (ubuntu) from Programs.

As for why it gets delayed in showing the grub menu, I don't know. According to you, this happens even before showing the grub menu, which means it is related to hardware. If it happens even before you get to the selection screen, it's not related to the OSs because you haven't even selected an OS yet.

Have you done any hardware changes?

Englischdude
May 21st, 2010, 12:58 PM
The results look normal, except that you do have wubi (or traces of it) inside your win7. Since you already have a full install of ubuntu too, you could try booting into win7 and removing wubi (ubuntu) from Programs.

As for why it gets delayed in showing the grub menu, I don't know. According to you, this happens even before showing the grub menu, which means it is related to hardware. If it happens even before you get to the selection screen, it's not related to the OSs because you haven't even selected an OS yet.

Have you done any hardware changes?

Hi there,

can you give me any tips for booting into windows 7? When I try this from the grub menu it just hangs. One post here suggests that I should try to boot using the recovery dvds, but how do I action this boot?

I have done zero hardware changes, it is a new computer.

Thanks you
Martin

darkod
May 21st, 2010, 01:17 PM
Hi there,

can you give me any tips for booting into windows 7? When I try this from the grub menu it just hangs. One post here suggests that I should try to boot using the recovery dvds, but how do I action this boot?

I have done zero hardware changes, it is a new computer.

Thanks you
Martin

If you can't boot win7, there might be some corruption or something. That can also happen when the ubuntu installer is shrinking the win7 system partition during the install.

It better to use win7 Disk Management to shrink the system partition first, if you need to make space for ubuntu. Then boot win7 few times to do its disk checks. Only then start the ubuntu installer.

Now... you could try and force win7 to run chkdsk (the disk check). Boot ubuntu and install the package ntfsprogs:

sudo apt-get install ntfsprogs

Try to check the /dev/sda3 partition:

sudo ntfsfix /dev/sda3

This is a basic check and won't do too much good but it will set the option win7 to check the partition next time you try to boot it.

So, reboot and select win7 from grub menu. Hopefully it will start the disk check and repair the problem, if the assumption is correct.

Englischdude
May 21st, 2010, 01:20 PM
Thank you very much Darko, I will try this later and keep you informed.

Greetings from Austria!
Martin

Englischdude
May 21st, 2010, 01:27 PM
Thank you very much Darko, I will try this later and keep you informed.

Greetings from Austria!
Martin

when i try and do the ntfsfix command I get this error message

"Refusing to operate on read-write mounted device /dev/sda3."

What can I do?

darkod
May 21st, 2010, 01:32 PM
when i try and do the ntfsfix command I get this error message

"Refusing to operate on read-write mounted device /dev/sda3."

What can I do?

Well why is /dev/sda3 mounted? Windows partition do not get mounted automatically unless you set it up that way.

And in general, auto-mounting the windows system partition is not what I would do. You can mount it occasionally for access.

If it was only mounted to take a look at something, there should be icon for it on the desktop, just right-click and select Unmount.

Also, you should be able to unmount in Gparted, or terminal (but for terminal you need to know where it is mounted):

sudo umount /media/win7 (for example, you need your exact mount point)

Englischdude
May 21st, 2010, 04:29 PM
Hi there,

ok, I could dismount the ACER drive and enter the command in the terminal, but upon rebooting nothing happens when selecting, only the logo comes saying windows is starting but then it just hangs.

Interestingly enough, I have also changed the BIOS so I can boot from a disk, I ut in th recovery disks and the following happened when booting:
- the disk was recognised, and the files were loaded
- then the windows 7 logo saying windows is starting, after which it just hangs.

So I cant even start Windows with the recovery cds!!!

Oh man, if I can just get the windows back to its original state without Linux I will be very happy. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Martin

darkod
May 21st, 2010, 06:53 PM
Not sure. Something is wrong with windows it seems. It doesn't necessarily mean it was ubuntu's fault.

You can't even boot the recovery disc. :(

Englischdude
May 22nd, 2010, 08:43 PM
Hi Darkod,

since my last post I have installed UBUNTU new, overwriing all existing partitions. The situation is now so:

- When I switch on the computer there is still aboout a 2 minute delay before the computer actually starts to boot. Why could that be?!?!? I have googled about but cant find anything similar. After the two minutes I get the first splash screen where I can enter the BIOS.

- Windiws still will not start from the recovery dvds. It starts to load, but then just hangs at the windows logo. I have googled this and many people are having this problem. It seems to be a hardware issue. I have contacted ACER now on this one.

Thanks Darkod
MArtin

darkod
May 22nd, 2010, 08:48 PM
Hi Darkod,

since my last post I have installed UBUNTU new, overwriing all existing partitions. The situation is now so:

- When I switch on the computer there is still aboout a 2 minute delay before the computer actually starts to boot. Why could that be?!?!? I have googled about but cant find anything similar. After the two minutes I get the first splash screen where I can enter the BIOS.

- Windiws still will not start from the recovery dvds. It starts to load, but then just hangs at the windows logo. I have googled this and many people are having this problem. It seems to be a hardware issue. I have contacted ACER now on this one.

Thanks Darkod
MArtin

If you have to wait 2min before it even shows you a BIOS screen, it definitely sounds like hardware issue. That should be instant, it's the first thing a computer goes trough, the BIOS.

Englischdude
May 22nd, 2010, 09:25 PM
thats what I thought, then I found this.....

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/563480

Has this happened to anyone else?

darkod
May 22nd, 2010, 09:39 PM
It depends what exactly are we talking about. The person that reported that bug is talking about the purple ubuntu splash screen I think. But that has nothing to do with BIOS.

The BIOS is activated after power on, and it should quickly finish its POST (Power On Self Test). If that is successful, it continues with booting the bootloader.

The ubuntu splash can come only after all of that is done and ubuntu is selected to be booted (if you have a dual boot the grub menu will offer you to select an OS).

In your post you said you waited 2min for the BIOS screen but maybe you meant the ubuntu splash image.

If the delay is even before you have chance to enter BIOS, or before the grub menu is shown, that has nothing to do with windows or ubuntu. But if the delay is actually after selecting to boot ubuntu, that's a different matter.

Englischdude
May 25th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Hi Darkod,

you are right, the delay comes between power on and the acer welcome screen where I have a chance to enter the BIOS. I am in the process of trying to find a way to update the BIOS, current version is 1.09, my version is 1.04. Unfortunately, I cant seem to find a way to update the BIOS from Linux at the moment. Have tried to make a bootable USB stick with FREEDOS on it using the UNETBOOTIN utility, but that has not worked up till now.

Any suggestions on updating the BIOS from LINUX platform?

Although my WIN7 Installation dvds are not working, I will see if it is possible installing win xp on this machine. Maybe it will be easier to troubleshoot this problem from a windows platform as there are maybe more utilities available.

Regards
Martin

Englischdude
June 3rd, 2010, 01:28 PM
Hi All,

so after dealing with ACER customer support I did a clean install, managed to update the BIOS, but the long delay problem still persisted. Acer CS was sure it must be a hardware problem. I brought the laptop back to the store and was able to change for a new laptop.

Full of enthusiasm I came home, made the WIN7 recovery dvds and isntalled UBUNTU........... I STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!!

At least we know it is not a hardware problem, but still, I cannot live with a computer in this state. Has anyone got any ideas please:

Main symptom at the moment is a 2 minute delay between power-on and BIOS welcome screen.

Thanks in advance
Martin

Englischdude
June 3rd, 2010, 10:26 PM
Problem solved!!!!

I wanted to get at the CMOS battery to see if removing it would do the trick. COuld not get at the battery, but had to remove the main battery and power supply in the process. This alone seems to have cleared a "blockage" somewhere and now I boot up as normal within 30 seconds.

Simple solution, but it took alot of trial and error to get there. I hope this experience saves someone from the same hassle.

Regards
Martin