PDA

View Full Version : Most Suprising Forum Topics

chessnerd
May 20th, 2010, 06:26 AM
I have just been shocked into submission by a recent forum post about Sex and the City 2 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1488236) (which is actually related to computers) here on the forums.

Before that, the most surprising I saw was about a person finding a baby squirrel and asking for guidance. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1434046) Not only did they get help from the forum members, but no one seemed shocked to have someone post about this to a LINUX FORUM. You would have thought you had stumbled onto the help boards of "Baby Squirrel Finders Forum" given the quality of the advice.

The squirrel was eventually taken to a wildlife reserve (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1434046&page=7), for those wondering.

So, I was wondering if anyone else has ever been surprised by the variety of posts in the Cafe and if they remember any specific posts.

armageddon08
May 20th, 2010, 06:34 AM
That is the reason I love these forums: the variety, the quality and the quantity of the content posted here.

chessnerd
May 20th, 2010, 06:38 AM
That is the reason I love these forums: the variety, the quality and the quantity of the content posted here.

I love it too. I remember a blogger once described Ubuntu Forums as "The Eighth Wonder of the World," despite not liking the Ubuntu OS. In a lot of ways, that's not far from the truth.

TheNerdAL
May 20th, 2010, 07:14 AM

It's addicting to me! :D

sharathpaps
May 20th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I might not know enough to hand out advice all the time but I do help out when I can :) So, In my own little way I am really happy to be a member on this forum. This place rocks!!! :guitar:

BslBryan
May 20th, 2010, 08:17 AM
I stumbled upon NightWishFan's thread thinking it was going to say something akin to "I'm taking a break from the forums/Ubuntu", but instead finding that his house was destroyed in a fire, and reading about his familial issues throughout the still ongoing situation was a complete surprise.

Rasa1111
May 20th, 2010, 08:28 AM

me to. :)

I think any good community is like that.
even if it's main focus is something else entirely.
i think one example of this going wrong is franks OCD thread.
it seemed more like a member/friend telling others about his own issues,
not really to "get help" for it, but really just to let others know.. they arent alone.
like any good community does for its members.

you see many posts with people talking about their personal lives/issues they have sometimes..
and that is ok.
but frank got shotdown quick like.
i do understand the mods reasoning, but to me it seemed a bit unfair.

i think this is a great forum with some amazing people,
and I am thankful for it, and for you.
that is all. lol
<3

Ebere
May 20th, 2010, 10:09 AM
me to. :)

I think any good community is like that.
even if it's main focus is something else entirely.
i think one example of this going wrong is franks OCD thread.
it seemed more like a member/friend telling others about his own issues,
not really to "get help" for it, but really just to let others know.. they arent alone.
like any good community does for its members.

you see many posts with people talking about their personal lives/issues they have sometimes..
and that is ok.
but frank got shotdown quick like.
i do understand the mods reasoning, but to me it seemed a bit unfair.

i think this is a great forum with some amazing people,
and I am thankful for it, and for you.
that is all. lol
<3

I completely agree with your -entire- post.

Well said.

(I guess that's supposed to be posted as "+100" ? LOL)

Namaste.

Tristam Green
May 20th, 2010, 01:12 PM
just don't ask for medical advice or for help on your homework.

Grenage
May 20th, 2010, 01:21 PM

But, err... I've got this rash...

forrestcupp
May 20th, 2010, 01:41 PM
That's the great thing about the Cafe. It doesn't have to be about computers. The only time it has to be about computers is if it's political.

Before that, the most surprising I saw was about a person finding a baby squirrel and asking for guidance. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1434046)That reminds me of an old thread in the Backyard where LaRoza was asking for advice on what to do with a baby mouse he found in his basement. He was keeping it and taking care of it.

just don't ask for medical advice or for help on your homework.The homework thing is one of my pet peeves. We didn't have it this easy when I was in school. There was no internet back then.

Tristam Green
May 20th, 2010, 01:43 PM
The homework thing is one of my pet peeves. We didn't have it this easy when I was in school. There was no internet back then.

I agree. I'm all for the collective knowledge shtick, but seriously; people do need to learn to be self-sufficient instead of just simply asking for the answer.

RiceMonster
May 20th, 2010, 01:48 PM

What gets me is when people post asking for guidance about serious life issues such as depression or other serious mental health issues rather than consulting a professional.

Grenage
May 20th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I always presume that those individuals are in America and can't afford the fees/have no insurance. I'm not really sure how the American healthcare system works.

Zyrtec
May 20th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Let's not get political.

Tristam Green
May 20th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I always presume that those individuals are in America and can't afford the fees/have no insurance. I'm not really sure how the American healthcare system works.

That could be a fair assumption, but in reality they should seek proper help (that can't really be given on a tech-support forum).

Rubi1200
May 20th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Nice thread; and I love this reaction from one of the posts about finding a squirrel.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8995491&postcount=9

:)

m4tic
May 20th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I laughed out loud where in a thread asking about social networking and people replying that they don't use and like social networks and revealing their feelings on the net. The irony of that was those people were revealing their emotions (they do not like social networks) and of course Ubuntuforums.org's Community Café's generally a social network. Sometimes Linux users are funny in that they are paranoid about security

Tristam Green
May 20th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I laughed out loud where in a thread asking about social networking and people replying that they don't use and like social networks and revealing their feelings on the net. The irony of that was those people were revealing their emotions (they do not like social networks) and of course Ubuntuforums.org's Community Café's generally a social network. Sometimes Linux users are funny in that they are paranoid about security

Logic? ON MY INTERNET?

Funny observation, m4tic :)

Rasa1111
May 20th, 2010, 05:36 PM

funny, neither do amerikans...

know why?
because it doesn't. [work] lol

Rasa1111
May 20th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I completely agree with your -entire- post.

Well said.

(I guess that's supposed to be posted as "+100" ? LOL)

Namaste.

thanks mate.
I bow to you as well. <3

forrestcupp
May 20th, 2010, 08:38 PM
What gets me is when people post asking for guidance about serious life issues such as depression or other serious mental health issues rather than consulting a professional.

How about the people who ask us what career path they should take? We don't have a clue who they are, what they are like, or anything about them, other than the things they have said on the forums.

nothingspecial
May 20th, 2010, 08:52 PM
For me it has to be the linux washing machine.

Someone started a thread here in the cafe asking for votes, in an online poll for his wife`s washing machine design.

I thought that was brilliant.

I had it in my sig for months.

We won.... ha ha.

See here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8328919&postcount=215)

Frogs Hair
May 20th, 2010, 10:49 PM
How to tell someone they stink . Someones daughters boyfriend had a B O problem and they came to the forum to ask adivice on how to go about telling them without hurting thier feelings.

lisati
May 20th, 2010, 10:58 PM

From where I sit, it's an issue of safety: there are too many armchair experts on the net. A few years back I saw a contribution by someone on another forum claiming to be a mental health professional. The trouble was the information provided was plain wrong.