View Full Version : [kde] konsole doesn't use liberation mono
May 20th, 2010, 02:36 AM
I have set the konsole font to liberation mono, but I'm reasonably sure that the font that konsole is actually using is not liberation mono. It looks very different from the font used by xterm, emacs, gnome-terminal, etc.
Is there some font mapping hidden away somewhere that is overriding my choice?
May 20th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Hmmm, I'm not seeing a difference here between konsole, evilvte and roxterm.
~/.kde/share/apps/konsole/Shell.profile has the correct font set?
May 20th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Here's the appearance section from that file:
Yes, my fonts look kind of like yours, but they look different (thicker) in xterm / emacs, and I prefer that appearance. Here's a screenshot.
May 20th, 2010, 08:56 AM
To me it looks almost like the difference between Regular and Bold.
(sorry about the imageshack links, I did not want to resize the image and make the fonts suffer because of it, and the forums do not allow attachments of that size)
May 20th, 2010, 01:16 PM
This may be that Konsole listens to KDE's font hinting settings, whereas non-KDE apps listen to GNOME's setting and/or fontconfig (as defined in your ~/.fonts.conf and /etc/font/conf.d/ files).
Could it be that you have KDE set up to render fonts with full hinting, and GNOME/fontconfig up to use ~medium hinting? GNOME uses weird names for this, like "Best shapes" and "Monochrome" and whatnot. I'm not sure how they translate to hintnone, hintslight, hindmedium and hintfull, though.
That said, I think Konsole overrides all settings a bit since it offers its own option for toggling antialiasing. I'm not sure to what extent, though.
May 22nd, 2010, 03:31 PM
I've managed to fix the problem. Just recording what happened in case it's ever useful to anyone.
It turns out if I explicitly do "xrdb < .Xresources", this messes things up - konsole's fonts look like they do in the screenshots, and the fonts for gnome-based applications (e.g. gnome-panel, and synaptic) also look thin and under-fed.*
If I don't run xrdb as above, my .Xresources are still automagically sourced, but the original problem disappears. Konsole fonts, as well as fonts on gnome applications look the way they are supposed to.
Can't explain the fix, but I'm glad the problem's solved.*
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2015 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.