PDA

View Full Version : Maverick Meerkat should ship with Docky

MorleyPotter
May 18th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Vote whether or not you think Maverick Meerkat should ship with Docky.

go7Ul1ai
May 18th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I highly doubt this would happen. I wouldn't like to see this happen anyway.

Merk42
May 18th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Maybe once GNOME Shell is default since the gnome devs feel window lists are a bad idea

screaminj3sus
May 18th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I like docky but the newest version (the one separate from gnome-do) pisses me off cause of the compiz minimize bug where the animation doesn't target docky.

benjamimgois
May 18th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I think that Docky is very good on the nices, it makes the system looks very nice, but i don't think it's very pratical in daily use.

Chauncellor
May 18th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Well, I voted no.

Only because I feel that the dock is probably the worst and clunkiest excuse for UI design in the history of UI.

*shrug*

:P

Arla
May 18th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Much prefer AWN myself

Although am trying to play with Gnome-Shell to see what that has/does, so far no major complaints.

Simian Man
May 18th, 2010, 07:24 PM
AWN is significantly better as of version 0.4 I think.

ranch hand
May 18th, 2010, 07:41 PM
No, I don't think so.

It may surprise some but most of us can live a lot easier without a dock at all other than the panels.

Docks are easy to get. Why add bloat.

I would be surprised if more folks didn't use Gimp, which of coarse has been removed for lack of use, than use a dock.

OK, now you can all jump on me.

Longinus00
May 18th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Docky currently is still in early stages and rife with interesting bugs.
My favorite is https://bugs.launchpad.net/docky/+bug/501486

kansasnoob
May 18th, 2010, 09:23 PM
docks are easy to get. Why add bloat.

+1!

cszikszoy
May 18th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Docky currently is still in early stages and rife with interesting bugs.
My favorite is https://bugs.launchpad.net/docky/+bug/501486

I don't think it should ship with ubuntu by default, but you're being a little sensationalistic, no? Docky is extremely stable, and aside from the memory leak that you linked to (which is being worked on, and has gotten much, much better) has no major bugs.

Longinus00
May 18th, 2010, 11:07 PM
I don't think it should ship with ubuntu by default, but you're being a little sensationalistic, no? Docky is extremely stable, and aside from the memory leak that you linked to (which is being worked on, and has gotten much, much better) has no major bugs.

The current svn docky is hanging every so often on my system and I consider memory leaks to be major bugs. As it stands docky still needs some time in the oven.

cszikszoy
May 18th, 2010, 11:21 PM
The current svn docky is hanging every so often on my system and I consider memory leaks to be major bugs. As it stands docky still needs some time in the oven.

Huh? Docky uses bzr, not svn. Have you reported bugs when docky hangs?

Longinus00
May 18th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Huh? Docky uses bzr, not svn. Have you reported bugs when docky hangs?

Yea sorry, was doing some svn stuff so I had a brain fart, I should have just said trunk. I haven't been able to reproduce the hangs consistently and I typically don't notice until the cpu fan spins up.

*as I was typing this it hung, must have something to do with changing workspaces*

ronacc
May 19th, 2010, 12:46 AM
There is more than one dock so let the users decide which one they wish to install . don,t force one persons choice on everyone.

KGrm
May 19th, 2010, 01:04 AM
There is more than one dock so let the users decide which one they wish to install . don,t force one persons choice on everyone.

This. The last thing the default desktop install needs is more bloat.

zekopeko
May 19th, 2010, 01:06 AM

You're kidding, right?

sxmaxchine
May 19th, 2010, 01:06 AM
awn is better.

also i dont like that type of dock, even though it looks pretty. And i dont think they will use it by default because apple would most llikely sue them for stealing there idea.

zekopeko
May 19th, 2010, 01:17 AM
awn is better.

also i dont like that type of dock, even though it looks pretty. And i dont think they will use it by default because apple would most llikely sue them for stealing there idea.

/facepalm

Cathhsmom
May 19th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I prefer Cairo-Dock, although the other dock programs are nice too.

ronacc
May 19th, 2010, 02:02 AM
This. The last thing the default desktop install needs is more bloat.

It isn't bloat when you choose to install it yourself from the repo's .

ronacc
May 19th, 2010, 02:03 AM
You're kidding, right?

I never kid about choice , it is always my default position .

donniezazen
May 19th, 2010, 06:50 AM
AWN. There aren't enough options/docklets to use Docky as main dock.

dyltman
May 19th, 2010, 07:03 AM
I'd say Gnome Do docky mode is so much more usefull

vkontakte
May 19th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Don't like the idea. May be gnome-do (it's not the best launcher though, gnome-shell's one is better), but docky -- no.

zekopeko
May 19th, 2010, 09:53 AM

You really are an amazing person. After more then 4 years and you still haven't figured out how Ubuntu works and what is the goal.

MorleyPotter
May 19th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I prefer Cairo-Dock, although the other dock programs are nice too.

I tried this but it was a nightmare, it kept staying on top of windows and had a random big black box which surrounded it every now and again.

From the posts here, i think i may switch to AWN and try it out.

wojox
May 19th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I'm not a fan of docks, so I voted no.

23meg
May 19th, 2010, 11:27 AM

Ubuntu's position is to install one application per task by default, though, and since you probably already know that, it would be a good idea to bear it in mind in discussions of defaults:

There should be exactly one recommended way to accomplish a task in the default installation, to promote consistent documentation and support

meborc
May 19th, 2010, 11:50 AM
no docks by default please...

only sence of using it is to replace ALL panels with one dock, and docky has no systraythingy whatever the name (at least the version i tested last month did not) so it is a no go from me... AWN on the other hand can replace all panels and is very beautiful

this has been mentioned on other threads already, but who has not seen the latest AWN theme is missing on some greatness - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PnY92swOKw

ronacc
May 19th, 2010, 12:02 PM
You really are an amazing person. After more then 4 years and you still haven't figured out how Ubuntu works and what is the goal.

I am well aware of how Ubuntu works , however I still choose to express my opinion that where at all possible choice is preferred option , as I have been doing for more than 4 years .

Ubuntu's position is to install one application per task by default, though, and since you probably already know that, it would be a good idea to bear it in mind in discussions of defaults:

Ubuntu as of now does not include a dock by default and even from this short thread and poll ( the title of which is "Maverick Meerkat should ship with Docky" BTW ) it is obvious that there are different opinions as to which dock if any should be shipped as default I do not think I am being inconsistant by expressing my prefference for choice as a way of indicating that my vote in the poll was NO .

zekopeko
May 19th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I am well aware of how Ubuntu works , however I still choose to express my opinion that where at all possible choice is preferred option , as I have been doing for more than 4 years .

Ubuntu as of now does not include a dock by default and even from this short thread and poll ( the title of which is "Maverick Meerkat should ship with Docky" BTW ) it is obvious that there are different opinions as to which dock if any should be shipped as default I do not think I am being inconsistant by expressing my prefference for choice as a way of indicating that my vote in the poll was NO .

I fail to see how choice is removed if Docky is included. What you are crusading for is netinstall which isn't Ubuntu's prime goal.

ronacc
May 19th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I fail to see how choice is removed if Docky is included. What you are crusading for is netinstall which isn't Ubuntu's prime goal.

I did not say that choice was removed , although as indicated by another poster ,bloat would be increased if docky did not happen to be your choice . I do not think that a full blown net-install is desirable and am not crusading for such , I do however feel that Ubuntu could be enhanced by being a bit more flexible where there is a spread of preferences as to which apps should be default , for example firefox/chromium , evolution/thunderbird , any of several media players ETC .

zekopeko
May 19th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I did not say that choice was removed , although as indicated by another poster ,bloat would be increased if docky did not happen to be your choice . I do not think that a full blown net-install is desirable and am not crusading for such , I do however feel that Ubuntu could be enhanced by being a bit more flexible where there is a spread of preferences as to which apps should be default , for example firefox/chromium , evolution/thunderbird , any of several media players ETC .

This is fixed by Ubuntu Software Center. In future(now?) it should support synonyms so typing Firefox would show you Firefox but also any other web browser in the repos.

I know there were suggestions of allowing users to change apps during install but that would complicate the installer with no benefit. The majority of people aren't going to care if this or that web browser is installed. The devs chose sensible defaults simply because most people see OSs as tools not an end unto itself.

i8163264128
May 19th, 2010, 03:47 PM
AWN is better... but why not try something more original? mac-like docks are cool (and I use it) but I think ubuntu needs something more unique and practical... what, I'm not sure right now- I have sketches but nothing concrete yet...

tacantara
May 19th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I've used Cairo-Dock, AWN, and Docky. By far, Docky is the best overall as far as ease of use and speed, but I'm sure it's so because it doesn't have the features that the other two docks have. I'd like to see Docky come with more applets, etc., but it does what I need it to do for now. If it should become a default program in a future distro, it can be uninstalled if it's not desired, just like any other default program.

Reiger
May 19th, 2010, 05:03 PM
No, I don't think so.

It may surprise some but most of us can live a lot easier without a dock at all other than the panels.

Docks are easy to get. Why add bloat.

I would be surprised if more folks didn't use Gimp, which of coarse has been removed for lack of use, than use a dock.

OK, now you can all jump on me.

Exactly my thoughts. As long as Docky is merely some add-on to an already rounded desktop it should be reflected in its status of not-installed-by-default.

maddg3241
May 19th, 2010, 05:10 PM
are you trying to make it completly mac

Eddie Wilson
May 19th, 2010, 07:45 PM
AWN is significantly better as of version 0.4 I think.

AWN works very well, but I don't see a default dock install coming.

23meg
May 19th, 2010, 09:47 PM

I have a great idea: since there are different opinions as to which kernel I/O scheduler should be default, the first step of the Ubuntu installation process should ask the user which kernel I/O scheduler they'd like enabled. The following steps should also force the user to choose among multiple choices in the 439879384793022 other components, since there are different opinions about which is best in all of them. Since most Ubuntu users are well enough informed, ready and willing to make those choices, it will present no problems. The last few steps can be reserved to stuff like timezones, username/password, language, keyboard etc.

I guess this is absolutely fine with you.

ranch hand
May 19th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I have a great idea: since there are different opinions as to which kernel I/O scheduler should be default, the first step of the Ubuntu installation process should ask the user which kernel I/O scheduler they'd like enabled. The following steps should also force the user to choose among multiple choices in the 439879384793022 other components, since there are different opinions about which is best in all of them. Since most Ubuntu users are well enough informed, ready and willing to make those choices, it will present no problems. The last few steps can be reserved to stuff like timezones, username/password, language, keyboard etc.

What a splendid reply.

I think, though, that Canonical should, instead, go to a 20 year development cycle and run a vote on each of the components to select the ones used. Some of the early respondents would even still be alive when it finally came out.

KdotJ
May 19th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I prefer glx-dock

but either way, no I don't think it should be shipped with MM

ronacc
May 19th, 2010, 10:37 PM

I would not carry things quite that far , but for some things that do not seriously impact the rest of the system and where there is a wide range of preferences that are matched by a similar wide range of apps already available in the repos I do not believe that a bit of latitude during initial install would greatly detract from the experience . And now that you mention it I have on occasion installed the RT kernel .

zekopeko
May 19th, 2010, 10:51 PM
I would not carry things quite that far , but for some things that do not seriously impact the rest of the system and where there is a wide range of preferences that are matched by a similar wide range of apps already available in the repos I do not believe that a bit of latitude during initial install would greatly detract from the experience . And now that you mention it I have on occasion installed the RT kernel .

Do you know why Ubuntu is so popular? Because they didn't install two web browser, three file managers, seven music player and 20 text editors. They made installing and upgrading Ubuntu a straight forward process. The hardest part of the install is the partitioning stage. The rest is super easy and offering latitude to users by complicating isn't making Ubuntu easier to install.

Nobody is robbing anybody of any choice by installing from the Ubuntu CD. The repos are still there waiting for somebody to exercise their choice of what they want to install. So is the mini iso CD.

ranch hand
May 19th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Nobody is robbing anybody of any choice by installing from the Ubuntu CD. The repos are still there waiting for somebody to exercise their choice of what they want to install. So is the mini iso CD.
And it is a GREAT option. I am gong to be doing another 10.10 install that way. You can have it as lite or heavy as you want it, you don't need the meta packages, and you have the entire Ubuntu repo at your finger tips.

I am real new at doing it that way but I really liked the one I had last round. I think I know more about what I am doing now (famous last words) so I think this one will be better.

MacUntu
May 19th, 2010, 11:10 PM

Do you know a distribution that works that way? I like the deadline scheduler btw. ;)

ronacc
May 19th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Because they didn't install two web browser, three file managers, seven music player and 20 text editors.

you are describing my system very nicely , except that I have 4 browsers and 4 file managers but only 5 music players ( I'm not that much of an audiophile ) and where did you find the other 15 text editors ? links please , I must try them , I could only find 5 .:lolflag:

ronacc
May 19th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Do you know a distribution that works that way? I like the deadline scheduler btw. ;)

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

arpanaut
May 19th, 2010, 11:56 PM
+1
bada-boom <rimshot> piiiiiiiing!

Yaknow... gimme a basic basic Desktop configuration upon install and..

I_will_LEARN how to make my system perform as_I_wish

Other than that to each their own.

Longinus00
May 20th, 2010, 01:35 AM
you are describing my system very nicely , except that I have 4 browsers and 4 file managers but only 5 music players ( I'm not that much of an audiophile ) and where did you find the other 15 text editors ? links please , I must try them , I could only find 5 .:lolflag:

Only found 5?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_text_editors

ronacc
May 20th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Only found 5?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_text_editors

thank you for the link , I was being facetious though , that is why the lol flag

23meg
May 20th, 2010, 01:19 PM

Frankly, no. But that could be due to the fact that I'm not very interested in distributions that work roughly that way.

rudihawk
May 20th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Docks aren't that functional and they bring a lot of UI inconsistenties to the fore.

MacUntu
May 20th, 2010, 04:35 PM
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
Bingo - not what I'd call a Linux distribution! That's why I want Ubuntu to stick to a reasonable set of applications instead of getting on my nerves during install time.

ronacc
May 20th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Bingo - not what I'd call a Linux distribution! That's why I want Ubuntu to stick to a reasonable set of applications instead of getting on my nerves during install time.

and that is where the problem arises , What is a "reasonable set of applications " . It gets on my nerves when Ubuntu install's apps that I have to then uninstall or else duplicate the function of to get the ones I want/need .It gets on my nerves when the meta packages that are supposed to insure smooth updates , reinstalls packages I don't want , don't use ( ever,for any reason whatsoever) and have removed to save bloat . That is why I like the idea of more choice of what gets installed as the "default" system .

And no I have no real desire to go back to building the whole shebang from source , did it that way back in the mid 90's when that was the only way but I'll pass on it for now .

zekopeko
May 20th, 2010, 05:13 PM
and that is where the problem arises , What is a "reasonable set of applications " . It gets on my nerves when Ubuntu install's apps that I have to then uninstall or else duplicate the function of to get the ones I want/need .It gets on my nerves when the meta packages that are supposed to insure smooth updates , reinstalls packages I don't want , don't use ( ever,for any reason whatsoever) and have removed to save bloat . That is why I like the idea of more choice of what gets installed as the "default" system .

And no I have no real desire to go back to building the whole shebang from source , did it that way back in the mid 90's when that was the only way but I'll pass on it for now .

So you are saying that Ubuntu isn't for you. Considering the number of distros out there I conclude the problem is in you and not in Ubuntu.

ronacc
May 20th, 2010, 05:18 PM
So you are saying that Ubuntu isn't for you. Considering the number of distros out there I conclude the problem is in you and not in Ubuntu.

conclude whatever you wish to .

cariboo907
May 20th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Please stay on topic.

ronacc
May 20th, 2010, 06:32 PM
in a rather eliptical manner we are , zekopeko is trying to convince me that my no vote in the poll is irrational and I am defending my logic .

cariboo907
May 20th, 2010, 07:22 PM
in a rather eliptical manner we are , zekopeko is trying to convince me that my no vote in the poll is irrational and I am defending my logic .

I realize that it is, I just don't want it to degenerate into something else. :)

ronacc
May 20th, 2010, 07:43 PM
agreed

Longinus00
May 20th, 2010, 08:33 PM

I think he was saying that if you don't like many of the packages ubuntu is installing and go so far as to uninstall them, your time might be better spent using a different distro that is more in line with your tastes. I don't know what that had to do with docky because docky isn't in the official install.

ronacc
May 21st, 2010, 02:13 AM
you didn't read far enough back , the poll question is should maverick ship with docky . I voted no and gave the reason that I believed the individual user should continue to install the dock of their choice , as infact is the case now as you note .

wayneericgouin
May 22nd, 2010, 07:50 PM
I have yet to be convinced of it's benefit over anything else, it;s cute and all but anything sitting on the bottom screen as proven to be wasted space for me.

cariboo907
May 22nd, 2010, 07:52 PM
You can set docky to auto hide, so it only is in the way when you actually move your mouse over it.

zekopeko
May 22nd, 2010, 08:09 PM
You can set docky to auto hide, so it only is in the way when you actually move your mouse over it.

Intellihide is even better. If something overlaps the dock it hides the dock.

PhilGil
May 22nd, 2010, 08:15 PM
I voted no. I would not like to see Ubuntu move to a default install that requires compositing to be fully-functional. Also, aside from the eye candy, I don't see that a dock significantly improves usability when compared to the Gnome panel.

ranch hand
May 22nd, 2010, 08:51 PM
I voted no. I would not like to see Ubuntu move to a default install that requires compositing to be fully-functional. Also, aside from the eye candy, I don't see that a dock significantly improves usability when compared to the Gnome panel.
Oh come on. There is a LOT of difference between a dock and the silly old gnome panels.

Docks are COOL.

I use the panels, easier and cleaner. But not, it appears, COOL.

PhilGil
May 22nd, 2010, 09:11 PM
Oh come on. There is a LOT of difference between a dock and the silly old gnome panels.

Docks are COOL.

I use the panels, easier and cleaner. But not, it appears, COOL.
I stand corrected. It's a wonder we could even use computers before bouncing icons were invented :) .

ranch hand
May 22nd, 2010, 09:23 PM
I stand corrected. It's a wonder we could even use computers before bouncing icons were invented :) .
I do admit, now, to having done just that. I did it in a secret room in the sub cellar so no one would find out.

Now I do testing so I figure I can admit to it and have it explained by way of insanity.

zekopeko
May 22nd, 2010, 09:27 PM
I do admit, now, to having done just that. I did it in a secret room in the sub cellar so no one would find out.

Now I do testing so I figure I can admit to it and have it explained by way of insanity.

Could you post a screenshot of your desktop? I would like to know what you consider usable. Preferably while doing something on it.

ranch hand
May 22nd, 2010, 09:40 PM
Could you post a screenshot of your desktop? I would like to know what you consider usable. Preferably while doing something on it.
Not exactly sure what you want here.

I am not doing much right now, only have 4 workspaces populated.

I guess it would be interesting to see what folks actually do think is usable. Maybe a new thread for that should be started.

zekopeko
May 22nd, 2010, 09:57 PM

I guess it would be interesting to see what folks actually do think is usable. Maybe a new thread for that should be started.

Yup, I see the problem. You are using the workspaces as a window manager. Not to mention waste of space with the double panel setup with redundant options.

Longinus00
May 22nd, 2010, 10:40 PM
Yup, I see the problem. You are using the workspaces as a window manager. Not to mention waste of space with the double panel setup with redundant options.

Workspaces and workspace management is the best thing the linux window managers have over windows and mac.

zekopeko
May 22nd, 2010, 11:19 PM
Workspaces and workspace management is the best thing the linux window managers have over windows and mac.

Macs have workspaces since 10.5. I would also say they one upped Linux since in OSX you can define which applications is going to start on which workspace in a simple GUI.

Workspaces are IMO an extension of window management that isn't utilized as it should be.

ranch hand
May 22nd, 2010, 11:49 PM
They are only redundant with the menu. I use them all very often. I find it convenient. This is Linux on my box and I can do it this way if I want. I do not see that adding a "dock" would help (I have tried the buggers).

Space is not wasted, it is invested in making my life easier. I am certainly not asking you to do the same. It works for me, no reason what so ever that it should work for you.

I agree with Longinus00 100% on the windows managers. If you can't set the bugger up the way you want you are not trying very hard. If it was hard I sure couldn't do it.

zekopeko
May 23rd, 2010, 01:49 AM
They are only redundant with the menu. I use them all very often. I find it convenient. This is Linux on my box and I can do it this way if I want. I do not see that adding a "dock" would help (I have tried the buggers).

Space is not wasted, it is invested in making my life easier. I am certainly not asking you to do the same. It works for me, no reason what so ever that it should work for you.

I agree with Longinus00 100% on the windows managers. If you can't set the bugger up the way you want you are not trying very hard. If it was hard I sure couldn't do it.

Let me know when there is something as simple as this for setting up workspaces:

http://mac101.net/files/2009/06/spaces-setup1.png

Guitar John
May 23rd, 2010, 02:06 AM
I don't see the need to add it to the ubuntu-desktop since it can be added (or not) if the user wants it. Same goes for AWN which looks more like the Mac equivalent, if the intent is to be more Mac-like.

Longinus00
May 23rd, 2010, 04:45 AM
Let me know when there is something as simple as this for setting up workspaces:

Let me know when you can see a preview of what is opened/how many windows on each workspace in osx.

ranch hand
May 23rd, 2010, 04:51 AM
Be nice boys. This is not the place to fight.

We are all here because we are not real stable ourselves so let's give each other a little break and have FUN.

I hate it when folks act as touchy as I am.

ronacc
May 23rd, 2010, 05:12 AM
one of the benefits of being a geezer like us is being allowed to be crotchety . the whippersnappers just put it down to encroaching senility:lolflag:

ranch hand
May 23rd, 2010, 05:23 AM
Sounds good to me. A good excuse is hard to find.

victorche
May 23rd, 2010, 07:48 AM
Ubuntu's position is to install one application per task by default, though, and since you probably already know that, it would be a good idea to bear it in mind in discussions of defaults...

Just a small offtopic, but... If that's the Ubuntu position, why we have Synaptic and Ubuntu Software Center both?

I really prefer one graphical way for dealing with updates and adding/removing software. Well, yes... I can do it with apt-get, but for a new user it is hard to understand. There are questions like "Why you are looking for Chromium, using USC? and yesterday you installed VLC, using Synaptic?"

xeizo
May 23rd, 2010, 08:01 AM
If Gnome Shell is to become default in Maverick I guess there's a need for a dock of some kind, as using only Gnome Shell could be a too big usability shock.

Varietys of docks is what we are used too.

But Gnome Shell will improve and add numerous new features which may render a dock unnecessary, only question is how long will it take? It may not be in time for Maverick.

If Maverick ships with just the normal Gnome Desktop, I think there's no need for an extra dock of any kind. Let people who's fond of fancy docks install it themselves.

The important thing is that the Maverick desktop must be very usable, even if it will look slick in the end. It took much to long before KDE4.* became usable imho. Even though the KDE-team explicitly stated it wasn't ready for prime, everybody tried to use it anyway and most became disappointed. It hurt KDE:s reputation. Usability first, coolness second ;)

cariboo907
May 23rd, 2010, 08:22 AM
Gnome-shell won't be the default in Maverick. From the looks of it there will be a lot of UI changes, but gnome-shell won't be one of them, it will be available in the repositories though.

zekopeko
May 23rd, 2010, 12:12 PM
Let me know when you can see a preview of what is opened/how many windows on each workspace in osx.

Like this?

http://images.apple.com/au/macosx/leopard/features/images/spaces_hero20071016.png

23meg
May 23rd, 2010, 02:08 PM
Just a small offtopic, but... If that's the Ubuntu position, why we have Synaptic and Ubuntu Software Center both?

Because new features in USC are being introduced every cycle, and it hasn't reached the capability to be a feasible replacement for Synaptic yet. Once it has, Synaptic will be removed from the default desktop installation.

You can read about future plans for USC here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareCenter).

screaminj3sus
May 23rd, 2010, 04:06 PM
Yeah USC is nowhere near synaptic in terms of functionality yet.

Merk42
May 23rd, 2010, 04:43 PM

Alpha channels? Drop shadows?

Wow ranch hand, I'm surprised that's enabled on your desktop.

ranch hand
May 23rd, 2010, 05:35 PM
Alpha channels? Drop shadows?

Wow ranch hand, I'm surprised that's enabled on your desktop.
With the current video problems in 10.10 I can run fine as long as I have the effects set for normal.

Usually I have them set at none. Set at none I can drag stuff from one workspace to another in the switcher.

Set this way I can't do that. I also have the screens "sliding" in from the side this way which is all right as long as I close my eyes.

It is, however, something I actually do from time to time to see what all the fuss is about. I do have an external that I loan out and some folks like to have these things so I try to have some idea what is supposed to happen. I need to fool with it more as the drivers finally support my card (the OSS drivers work better than the ATI driver) well enough to run some things that I may not like but folks trying it might.

It is kind of fun as long as it doesn't go on for too long. I expect it will be fixed in a couple of days.

ronacc
May 23rd, 2010, 05:51 PM
@ranch hand try the "cube" for workspace switching , less seasickness than sliding WS'S more controlable too .

on topic : since there 3 roughly equal docks if we set one as "default" it will make 66% of the users unhappy , keep it the way it is and let the user install the one they want .

bruno9779
May 23rd, 2010, 06:05 PM
Docky is an ugly mac-wannabe addition I really do not welcome on my desktop.

If it is removable I could live with it, but if integrates too tightly with the DE, then I will definitely change distro.

PS: I hate docks

ranch hand
May 23rd, 2010, 06:07 PM
@ranch hand try the "cube" for workspace switching , less seasickness than sliding WS'S more controlable too .

on topic : since there 3 roughly equal docks if we set one as "default" it will make 66% of the users unhappy , keep it the way it is and let the user install the one they want .
Seasickness is not the problem. It is just very irritating.

I actually got all that cube stuff running correctly, I think, last round on my ISO testing partition. That just kind of got really old after the first 15 minutes. I was very happy to have the next ISO come out so that I could "fix" that but still feel I gave it a chance.

I prefer GS to Compiz.

Just mark it up as symptom of grumpy geezerness.

bruno9779
May 23rd, 2010, 06:07 PM

66% of dock users will be unhappy, but many do not use a dock, making that number rise.

Look at the pool now, about 80% says no

ronacc
May 23rd, 2010, 06:57 PM
@ Ranch Hand I'll mark it up as personal choice .

66% of dock users will be unhappy, but many do not use a dock, making that number rise.

Look at the pool now, about 80% says no

you are correct , I thought of that after I made the post , I had only allowed for a 1 out of 3 choice when it should have been 1 out of 4 since "no dock " is a valid option . The 80% no includes people who want a dock but not docky , not just "no dock".

Longinus00
May 24th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Seasickness is not the problem. It is just very irritating.

I actually got all that cube stuff running correctly, I think, last round on my ISO testing partition. That just kind of got really old after the first 15 minutes. I was very happy to have the next ISO come out so that I could "fix" that but still feel I gave it a chance.

I prefer GS to Compiz.

Just mark it up as symptom of grumpy geezerness.

Just adjust the switch times to 0 seconds. It's what I do.

ranch hand
May 24th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Just adjust the switch times to 0 seconds. It's what I do.
I never even thought about that. Sounds like a good idea.

How on earth do you do it. I had a look at gconf-editor>metacity>(all of them) saw nothing.

TrueTom
May 24th, 2010, 10:57 AM
The power consumption of Ubuntu is bad enough. Installing software that is constantly eating CPU cycles while being idle and not visible is a stupid idea.

ronacc
May 24th, 2010, 01:37 PM
The power consumption of Ubuntu is bad enough. Installing software that is constantly eating CPU cycles while being idle and not visible is a stupid idea.

what software are you referring to ? compiz is using less than 1% of 1 core of my amd64x2 some screenlets eat much more .

xeizo
May 24th, 2010, 07:34 PM
With Nvidia-graphics and the proprietary driver Compiz actually lessens the burden on the cpu, as the graphics card does most of the gui calculations. Nvidia is sadly almost a requirement to get the most out of Linux these days, it bugs me as I'm about to upgrade my workstation and ATI gives much more value in it's hardware but I may have to settle for a noisy and warm GTX470/480 because of the much better drivers. GAAAH!

cabez0n
June 7th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I find Gnome-Do with its doc to be the most usefull and intelligent app.

Althought it could run a little faster....

fedexnman
June 7th, 2010, 10:49 PM
i voted no , awn maybe . on 9.10 docky and/or gnome do would lock up on boot of the computer, due to wireless card being on in laptop or desktop. so a big no here.

Jordanwb
June 7th, 2010, 11:33 PM
I like Docky but I find it too crash prone, so no.

Странник
June 8th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I am in support of a dock or something else in replacement from panels