PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] A question about network icon in notification area

zika
May 16th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Today, while preparing a LiveCD to use for my son's machine (time for a clean install, he doesn't use Ubuntu regularly so...) I've tried downloaded/burned Lucid (final) LiveCD and noticed that, to the contrary to my install-ation (Lucid testing->Maverick) icon for network is up/down arrow (I have that connector type icon)... How come?
I do not have preference toward any of those icons, I'm, just, curious because such differences (in most cases) point to some other differences. Yes, I've used network-manager-daily ppa, but, since it, sort of, got outdated, I've stopped.

23meg
May 16th, 2010, 05:39 PM
What does the icon look like in your installation?

It could be due to the fact that you're using wireless networking, and your son is using wired. The icons are supposed to be different.

zika
May 16th, 2010, 05:47 PM
What does the icon look like in your installation?

It could be due to the fact that you're using wireless networking, and your son is using wired. The icons are supposed to be different.No, I've tried LiveCD on the same machine that I'm using... Wired network...
In my install-ation it is diagonal (lower left corner to upper right corner sort of connector, wires to circle with void in middle) and in LivdCD I've got thick arrows going up/down...
0.8-0ubuntu4~nmt4 is the version of NM I'm using, it might be the reason...

Update: I've tried dowgrading version but it is the same: diagonal one... ;) Not important just funny... :)

screaminj3sus
May 16th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I had it randomly switch from the up down arrows to the diag one a couple times without changing icons themes, then it went back to the up down arrows and never changed again. Think its just a little bug.

MacUntu
May 16th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Are you using either the Ambiance or Radiance theme? Never had those themes show anything else but those arrows (for wired networking).

Anyways, I hope we'll see a better representative for wired networking in Maverick.

zika
May 16th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Are you using either the Ambiance or Radiance theme? Never had those themes show anything else but those arrows (for wired networking).

Anyways, I hope we'll see a better representative for wired networking in Maverick.On my machine I use Human. I believe that Human is, also, default (on LiveCD)... :-k Never used anything but Human, for quite some time...

MacUntu
May 16th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Lucid's default theme is "Ambiance" which uses the icon theme "Ubuntu Mono Dark". :)

zika
May 16th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Lucid's default theme is "Ambiance" which uses the icon theme "Ubuntu Mono Dark". :)Bingo! Thank You! Silly me!