PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] slow dvd burning

alberto2323
May 15th, 2010, 10:52 PM
I am wondering if i can get some help. I have two 16x samsung lightscribe dvd burners and for some reason k3b only allow me to burn at 8x max. issue is on both ubuntu and kubuntu as i originally installed ubuntu and then installed the kubuntu packages so as of right now im on kubuntu as i am starting to kinda like this one better. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

mbzn
May 15th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Are you sure you DVD-writer can write at 16x, and are you sure the DVD you are writing to suports 16x?

alberto2323
May 15th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Yes, In windows it always allowed 16x burning even though if you looked at the actual speed it normally wouldn't go higher than 15. All my dvd media is also 16x rated.

mbzn
May 15th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Maybe it's a software thing... I wouldn't know. I don't have empty dvd's now so i cant see what mine does. Sorry, maybe someone else can help you.

alberto2323
May 15th, 2010, 11:25 PM
not a problem. thank you for your time

garvinrick4
May 16th, 2010, 05:41 AM
It would just about be impossible to say why a Burner would not work at 16x on these forums. But I try to always Burn at the slowest speed I can so I get a good Burn. I have
never used a fast speed. Might be a good thing, keep you from the desire for more speed and creating bad disc's.

alberto2323
May 16th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Yea, I know. I'm just one who is stuck on speed. The only time I burn something at slow speeds is when its an OS or something else that may be important. 8x isn't really that slow but it is slower than what I used to burn in windows. Heck, thats one of the reason I payed all I could to build the type pc I have now, so that everything could go as fast as possible. Quick question though, Ive been looking on these forums and reading that Ubuntu and Kubuntu automatically disables DMA access by default but I just couldn't figure out how to check that or to change that if it is. Anyone have an answer for that one. Oh, and thank you for your time.