PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Stuttering keypresses

sdgates
May 15th, 2010, 06:26 PM
I am not sure when this started. I just installed Linux Mint a week ago. Then I did a Mint system update (using the little button down by the clock on the menu panel). Currently, any repeat keypresses won't work. If I pres the same key, only one keypress goes to the screen UNLESS I pause a second between keypresses. It doesn't mater what key is pressed, this even happens with the spacebar, the Enter key, cursor keys, the Backspace key

If I press any key and hold it down, then the key auto-repeats with no problem. But when typing any word with two repeated characters, only one registers. And back-spacing is an exercise in frustration!

So my typing loks like this. I ned to always go back to ad back in characters that didn't get typed!

This is a 2.8 Ghz P4 with a 200 GB hard drive and 3GB RAM. The previous OS, Windows XP, never exhibited this problem, so I am pretty sure it isn't hardware-related.

I am ready to blow off this entire install and maybe even install vanilla Ubuntu. Any ideas anyone???

ibuclaw
May 15th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Without sounding too blunt, you may have better luck actually asking at the Linux Mint Forums (http://forums.linuxmint.com/) rather than here.

But if you were to open the System Monitor, can you see any process that is taking a good deal of CPU processing?

Regards

sdgates
May 15th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Already posted there as well. But since Mint is based on Ubuntu, I thought maybe it would be useful to post here too, since it may be a Ubuntu thing more than a mint thing. After some more thought, I am thinking more and more of going to pure Ubuntu regardless - no telling what might have gotten dinked up with the Mint version!

BoneKracker
May 15th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Stuttering keypresses? That's the p-p-Porky p-p-Pig virus. :P

ibuclaw
May 15th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Already posted there as well. But since Mint is based on Ubuntu, I thought maybe it would be useful to post here too, since it may be a Ubuntu thing more than a mint thing. After some more thought, I am thinking more and more of going to pure Ubuntu regardless - no telling what might have gotten dinked up with the Mint version!

Mint is a fork of Ubuntu, and they did so a very long time ago. Thus Bugs/Issues in Ubuntu may not necessarily be in Mint and vice versa.

sdgates
May 15th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Mint was a fork from Unbuntu? All the more reason to go to pure Ubuntu!

CPU usage is at 50%, give and take (from moment to moment). Looking in System Monitor, Processes tab, Google Chrome is the biggest hog at apx 30%. Nothing else is showing at all except for Gnome System Monitor. Sorting by memory, Chrome is using apx. 400mb.

BoneKracker
May 16th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Mint was a fork from Unbuntu? All the more reason to go to pure Ubuntu!

CPU usage is at 50%, give and take (from moment to moment). Looking in System Monitor, Processes tab, Google Chrome is the biggest hog at apx 30%. Nothing else is showing at all except for Gnome System Monitor. Sorting by memory, Chrome is using apx. 400mb.

If you want "pure", go Debian. Ubuntu is Debian with lipstick. :P

Chrome shouldn't be hogging that much.

sdgates
May 16th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Over in the Linux Mint forums, somebody suggested I look in Keyboard Preferences, Accessibility tab. I did and discovered a "Bounce Keys - Ignore fast duplicate keypresses" there and turned that setting off. Now the keyboard keypresses work perfectly!

The thing about Linux Mint is that I could stand to really learn Standard Ubuntu, since some of my company's computers (Dell) come bundled with Ubuntu. I only went with Linux Mint on my wife's computer because LM is touted as being ultra user friendly - especially for Windows users.

On the other hand, since I have had NO exposure to Unbuntu yet, I am not sure how differently LM is set up as compared to Unbuntu - so using LM may not be helping me at all in my quest to become familiar with Ubuntu. However, I need to rebuild my own laptop and it is a 500MHz, 50GB HD machine so it would be the perfect vehicle to try Unbuntu on. (I am thinking Unbuntu has less system overhead than the Windows XP Pro currently installed on that laptop and the laptop may be more responsive with that installed as the OS. I only use it to browse the web in the living room and to control my Netflix account.)