PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] opening a linux internet cafe

OneLine
May 15th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Hi, I am about to open an internet cafe and would like to use ubuntu, does anyone have any advice on how i should configure the machines or should i leave them with a stock install of ubuntu on.

Thank you.

webdebbyjoss
May 15th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Hi,

I have some experience using Ubuntu like that.

I suggest to use Ubuntu Netbook Remix's - netbook-lancher menu that allows to build the convenient list of software your clients will start and use.

mike555
May 15th, 2010, 12:22 PM
You will want to lock down certain things , " pessulus" will help ..

OneLine
May 15th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Hi, sorry if this is a dumb question, what would you expect from an internet cafe if you went to use one of their computers?, is firefox enough or would you expect other things from the operating system?

Thank You.

J V
May 15th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Firefox would be enough... There was a distro that reverted to a logo of the company when the browser was closed and started it up again when the screen was clicked... I think it isn't maintained any more.

"DiscoverStation" seems like a nice way to lower costs - it can run lots of users from different monitors, you can have half the cafe running from one box.

Zencafe also looks good...

I think the distro I mentioned must not be maintained any more...

cascade9
May 15th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Hi, sorry if this is a dumb question, what would you expect from an internet cafe if you went to use one of their computers?, is firefox enough or would you expect other things from the operating system?

Thank You.

There must also be a video player, or video/audio player (I'd go for VLC myself), some form of document viewer/writer (probably OO), a .pdf viewer and some form of CD burning capability IMO. Not that any of this is going to be hard.

I'd consider a .torrent client as well, but that could be more trouble than its worth.

OneLine
May 15th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I'd consider a .torrent client as well, but that could be more trouble than its worth.

That would have to be a big no, no, because of the main reason, piracy, I don't want to get in trouble because someone downloaded a movie.

cascade9
May 15th, 2010, 01:50 PM
That would have to be a big no, no, because of the main reason, piracy, I don't want to get in trouble because someone downloaded a movie.

'Copyright infringement', there are no ships, swords, or beards involved LOL.

Yeah, that is what I meant by 'more trouble than it is worth'. I know I've used a torrent client at a internet cafe (to get a linux distro, so nothing illegal) but that was a while ago, and I dont know if the average internet cafe has got the ability to use torrents.

OneLine
May 15th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I've just started having second thoughts, would it be worth it, now a days people can use their mobile to surf while on the go, internet is cheap-ish at home nowadays, this could be a loss-making before it starts venture.

Does anyone have any thoughts on that please.

Thank you

Joshcush
May 15th, 2010, 04:35 PM
You could consider opening up a small restaurant that also offers free wifi.

That way you don't have to rely on people coming in only for the internet.

just my 2 cents

OneLine
May 15th, 2010, 04:45 PM

just my 2 cents

that's an interesting response, :)

Thank You.

uRock
May 15th, 2010, 04:45 PM
It depends on the clients you are looking to serve. Firefox and Chrome would be good. If you are near a military post then Windows would be better. Those guys like to use video messaging, which doesn't work well in ubuntu.

conradin
May 15th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I've just started having second thoughts, would it be worth it, now a days people can use their mobile to surf while on the go, internet is cheap-ish at home nowadays, this could be a loss-making before it starts venture.

Thank you

This is true. How you over come it, is with a cafe' atmosphere that people want to go to. There is one in the town I used to live that has done well for quiet a while. They offer photography services, like passport photos and 1 hour photo. Whille you wait, have some coffee in the Internet cafe.
They had couches, and a cool jazz type feel. You could relax there. Thats what I liked.

Another in Germany, had Internet cafe, then a gamer section with games you couldn't get in Germany. They also had legit gaming tournaments and use of fax, web cams, scanners and other hard ware that you wouldn't want to just go buy to use once.

You might want to focus on other services, in your Internet cafe, many people believe the internet is a basic human right. (It was on CNN)
For example, Tim Hortons and McDonalds down the street have internet I can use for free. Why would I go to your place to pay for the internet?
Again, I dont go to timy hohos for inter-webs, I go for great coffee, and the anonymity of being alone in a public place. I know a bunch of student who do similar things to study, getting away from anyone who knows you and will distract you, is the goal, having use of the internet is an added perk. I studied in truckers international Fairfield for 2 years, and they sold me hundreds of hot dogs in that time. Mostly I went to not be bothered by poeple, and use free internet.

anyways, ubuntu is as good a choice as any other. Windows / mac uses will likely feel alienated. Still, its something different in use for a good reason, if you can provide linux support for customers using your systems,
youll be fine.

Ive managed hundreds of computers in the college which I currently work.
Ive learned if you lock down commuters too much, people just wont use them. Im a big fan of virtualzation. I find set ups that reboot to the original setup easiest to work with. That way, a fix is only a reboot away. (unless its network, or hardware).

just some thoughts.

cascade9
May 15th, 2010, 04:51 PM

Thank you

I walk past a bunch of 'internet access kiosk points' everytime I go to the shops, and there is always somebody on there. Everytime, even at 8:45PM (and the supermarkets here have to shut at 9PM).

I'm sure there is business in internet cafes still. Of course, you will need to have good coffee, snacks, etc (but that is one of the places you can make money).

If you wanted an added incentive, you could always setup (free) network games, things like that.

just my 2 cents

If you do that, then you dont get any money from hiring computers, etc, and the internet access is now 'free' (ish). Its not that bad an idea if you wanted to get more business for an existing restaurant, but as a startup, its not a great idea IMO.

Also, you will hit the 'copyright infringement' problem again. :|