PDA

View Full Version : speed up une

nicoladimaria
May 15th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I'm using UNE on a eeepc 704 and it works fine, is there any tutorial or hints to speed it up a little ? like removing unused services, thanks.
(I didn't find any UNE related subforum)
:guitar:

kerry_s
May 15th, 2010, 10:20 AM
nothing you can do, other then switching to the lite version, but that brings its own problems, like the go-home-applet not working.

what i did is i'm running openbox + netbook-launcher-efl + xfce4-panel. i don't know how knowledgeable you are with ubuntu, but doing a custom thing is the way to go.

mine look like this:

Jimbo8098
May 15th, 2010, 10:35 AM
I dont think there is any way to speed it up other than to get the right os version (64 bit or 32 bit , even though the performance increase may be slight it will be a performance increase , and checking you have downloaded the correct and most upto dat drivers.

Thats about all you can do.

If you find the speed to be too slow you may have an older computer and you should try to disable as many graphics settings as possible. If you still find the speed of the operating system to be unsatisfactory , I would consider changing to SLAX (another linux operating system) you can load all of the Operating System and its programs into ram and run it from a cd and as such the operating system is very fast even on older computers. You will need alot of ram however.

I think this is mostly due to ubuntu being too wonderful for its own good :) I mean it has a well planned GUI and is very user friendly when you get it up and running. BUT these things can mean that things are harder to understand in linux , especially if , like me , you joined ubuntu from another graphical operating system such as windows XP.