PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Quick question: Is a package installed for all users?

Vostrocity
May 15th, 2010, 05:07 AM
When you install a package, does the corresponding app become available for all users (and show up in the Ubuntu menu)?

Mitchell Hale
May 15th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Yes. All users can access the app. Regardless as to if you use .deb files, synaptic, software center, etc.

Vostrocity
May 15th, 2010, 05:21 AM
But they would be different instances of the same app? For example saved passwords in Firefox wouldn't be shared? I've been using Ubuntu for a while but I this is my first time installing it on a multi-user computer so I'm a bit of a noob.

Ozymandias_117
May 15th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Firefox will create a folder in your home folder called .mozilla and keep all your preferences, bookmarks, saved passwords etc. there.

BoneKracker
May 15th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Depending on the desktop environment (gnome/kde) or window manager that you are using, there are ways of controlling what "shows up".

If you're using Gnome, for example, you can use an administrative application called Pessulus to "lock down" users (restricting what applications and what administrative options they have access to).

http://www.linux.com/archive/feed/62060

You can also manually edit an individual user's gconf settings (gnome's equivalent of a "registry") which is the mechnism used by such tools.

This may be more broadly applicable to both Gnome, KDE and Xfce, as a "freedesktop.org" standard, but I'm not sure.

(Of course, gnu/linux itself has user and group permissions which can also be used to control what users have access to, and there are more detailed tools as well (access control lists, role-based access control lists, context-based access control, etc.)

WinterRain
May 15th, 2010, 05:24 AM
For example saved passwords in Firefox wouldn't be shared?

No, they won't be shared. Each user has it's own home folder, and that's where config files are kept.

Vostrocity
May 15th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Thanks guys. I understand this now.