View Full Version : finding installed software

May 15th, 2010, 04:06 AM
I installed the pdf2djvu program. How do I find it and use it. How is code entered in the machine? I just loaded ubuntu 10.04 onto my acer notebook and everything is running just fine. I have no experience with this os compared to microsoft. Thanks in advance.

May 15th, 2010, 04:18 AM
How do I find and operate this program? I loaded it from "get software". I have just loaded 10.04 onto my acer notebook. All is well and everything is running fine. I have zero experience with UBUNTU but way too much with Microsoft. Where do I start to convert a pdf to a djvu document? How do I input code into the machine? Thanks in advance!

May 15th, 2010, 04:21 AM
If it has a gui, it should (most do) add itself to the menu. Check Application->Accessories or Application->Office. If it doesn't provide a gui front end, it may be command line only. Try invoking it by name from a shell.

ranch hand
May 15th, 2010, 04:23 AM
I am not familiar with that program but it should be listed in your Applications>Office menu if it is a program with a gui.

If not open your terminal Applications>Accessories>Terminal and;

should pull it up.

If it is just a reader the default works just fine, Just click on the file or the link and it will be up and running.

May 15th, 2010, 04:43 AM
OK Where and how do I enter this code? I found terminal but I have no experience with code.

May 15th, 2010, 04:48 AM
To find information on how to use the program, type in at the terminal prompt

man pdf2djvu

You can type 'q' to quit the manual page.

The man page will also detail the command line options and syntax for starting the program, assuming this program has a documented man page.

May 15th, 2010, 04:52 AM
It's not in Applications -> Office or perhaps Applications -> Graphics?

May 15th, 2010, 05:54 AM
I did as patchwork advised and the manual showed up alright. My question is how do I use the program? I don't understand the commands-is there a tutorial on using the terminal? If I have a pdf up and I want to convert it to djvu what do I do? Thanks for your patience everyone.

ranch hand
May 15th, 2010, 06:24 AM
I am not sure what you are looking for here. The man pages are usually pretty good. I will admit that a certain fluency in geek is sometimes needed (I am pretty new myself).

As for your app I ran a quick search and found this;

Check their documentation. They ought to know what they are talking about.

I do not want to be presumtious but here are some other links you may find interesting;

This is a good one to kind of set your mind in the right path;

These 2 have enough info to keep you busy for a year or so, if you poke around you will find what you need;

This is my personal favorite and I highly recommend the first book listed, very handy. I think I will buy a copy.

May 15th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Please don't make duplicate threads...

May 15th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Please don't create multiple threads on the same subject. I have merged your two threads.

Pdf2djvu is a command line program. There is no gui, to see the options if you open a terminal and type pdf2djvu, it will should give you the command line options. the most basic command would be:

pdf2djvu -o <djvu-file> <pdf-file>

where <djvu-file> = the name of the output file and <pdf-file> = the name of the file you want to convert.

May 15th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Thanks for all the links Ranch hand. I downloaded the ubuntu guide-good info and I found a lot I needed.Ozymandias_117 and Cariboo907-sorry-my mistake-I didn't notice that the first post loaded and I reposted. Thanks for the help everyone. Its greatly appreciated.

May 15th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I've never used it, but according to the man page it has quite a few options. The general syntax for converting a pdf to a djvu file seems to be

pdf2djvu -o foo_djvu_filename foo_pdf_filename

Obviously, there are a lot of options as to customizing the output, and the man page covers those in detail.