PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 - anyone know if this camera works with Linux?

anewguy
May 15th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I want to replace my hacked CVS camera, but don't want to spend much money (I don't have much!). I found this camera on a popular discount shopping place's website:

Vivitar Vivicam 8324 Black 8.1 MP Digital Camera

Does anyone have any experience using this camera with Ubuntu?

Thanks in advance!
Dave ;)

tom.swartz07
May 15th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Hey Dave!

Im almost certain it works. I dont have any experience with that specific model, but I would put money on it that camera will work out of the box.

Personally, I always just plug the SD card directly into the computer, rather than farting around with cables and wires and plugs; but I know for a fact that Ubuntu recognizes external SD cards in cameras from the few times Ive plugged my camera in.

ranch hand
May 15th, 2010, 04:31 AM
By using a card reader you will save a lot on battery costs. If your box does not have one they are cheaper than batteries.

I have never understood folks that don't just use the removable card the way it was designed to be used.

Phrea
May 15th, 2010, 04:40 AM
By using a card reader you will save a lot on battery costs. If your box does not have one they are cheaper than batteries.

I have never understood folks that don't just use the removable card the way it was designed to be used.

Very true.
[although I myself have an Olympus camera, which uses XD cards, and my stupid el cheapo card reader decided to start disliking XD cards]

anewguy
May 15th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Not to mention - if you're me, or my elderly parents - why not just plug in a USB cable and download? That's what I prefer, and that's what I'm wondering about with this camera. I know some Vivatars, especially the cheaper ones, won't work. I'm hoping that since it says pictbridge is supported it should would work.

Dave ;)

tom.swartz07
May 17th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Not to mention - if you're me, or my elderly parents - why not just plug in a USB cable and download? That's what I prefer, and that's what I'm wondering about with this camera. I know some Vivatars, especially the cheaper ones, won't work. I'm hoping that since it says pictbridge is supported it should would work.

Dave ;)

Like I said...

Im almost certain it'll recognize it by default.

ssj6akshat
May 17th, 2010, 07:02 AM
If it supports USB mass storage mode it will certainly work