PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Missing file for b43 wireless install -- where can I find this file?

NUboon2Age
May 15th, 2010, 01:17 AM
A script in B43-FWCutter requires a file from a web site that doesn't seem to exist any more and so the wireless driver install fails Where can I get this file? Or is there another solution to this dilemma?

wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o

originally found at:
downloads.openwrt.org/sources/wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o

anewguy
May 15th, 2010, 01:56 AM
I believe that in most instances you just need to hard-wire to your router, do an sudo apt-get update, then look in hardware drivers for the restricted driver and enable it. Be sure to unplug the hard-wire cable before trying your wireless.

Dave ;)

Sealbhach
May 15th, 2010, 01:57 AM
That website does still exist, from what I can see, I just put that address in my address bar and downloaded it.

NUboon2Age
May 15th, 2010, 02:03 AM
That website does still exist, from what I can see, I just put that address in my address bar and downloaded it.

If you try it you'll see that its a zero-length file.

bredman
May 15th, 2010, 02:13 AM
I just downloaded this file and it is 638kB.

Recommend that you try again. I did an install of b43-fwcutter last week and had no problems. This is the best way to get a BCM43xx wifi working. Don't bother with anything else, everything else broke my heart until I found how to do it properly.

NUboon2Age
May 15th, 2010, 02:14 AM
I believe that in most instances you just need to hard-wire to your router, do an sudo apt-get update, then look in hardware drivers for the restricted driver and enable it. Be sure to unplug the hard-wire cable before trying your wireless.

Dave ;)

I did that and I don't find that file.

NUboon2Age
May 15th, 2010, 02:18 AM
I just downloaded this file and it is 638kB.

Recommend that you try again. I did an install of b43-fwcutter last week and had no problems. This is the best way to get a BCM43xx wifi working. Don't bother with anything else, everything else broke my heart until I found how to do it properly.

Okay I did it again and I see you're right -- my browser said it was a '0 file' and I misinterpreted that to mean its a zero byte file (I guess it meant it is less than an MB large). Thanks! I'll see if that does it for me before marking this solved.

Sealbhach
May 15th, 2010, 02:20 AM
Edit: looks like you sorted it out.

anewguy
May 15th, 2010, 04:45 AM
BTW - anyone needing the firmware cutter - you don't have to download it, it is on the LiveCD you installed from in the /pool/main/b folder. Just click it to start installation. For those interested, the build-essential package is also in the same folder.

Dave ;)

Ozymandias_117
May 15th, 2010, 04:47 AM
BTW - anyone needing the firmware cutter - you don't have to download it, it is on the LiveCD you installed from in the /pool/main/b folder. Just click it to start installation. For those interested, the build-essential package is also in the same folder.

Dave ;)

Thanks, this is very useful information to have!