PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 ground breaking and new?

Nick_Jinn
May 14th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Just wanted to get some opinions. Is anything in Ubuntu 10.04 really awesome and ground breaking and new? What is in the new distro that I am going to care about?

Changing the wallpaper is about the least interesting thing you can imagine. Why are reporters spending any time at all talking about that? I always grab a custom photo anyway...and even the icons and boxes isnt really what would promt me to spend hours reinstalling and tweaking everything.

What cool new features does it have that I cant just download? Is it really more stable or less buggy? Better support? Faster?

I heard about some social networking tools. Are these pretty cool? Do you use them? Is it way better than Karmic?

How about support for Smartphones? I have an old mogul I would like to tether with. What about other smartphones or multi-media phones? What about webcam support? Advances to invite gaming? Maybe allow people to sell games that cost money to encourage some richer development? Maybe get native drivers for playing mainstream video games?

What is in the new stable release of Ubuntu that isnt in the previous version of Mint Linux?

_0R10N
May 14th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Just wanted to get some opinions. Is anything in Ubuntu 10.04 really awesome and ground breaking and new? What is in the new distro that I am going to care about?

Changing the wallpaper is about the least interesting thing you can imagine. Why are reporters spending any time at all talking about that? I always grab a custom photo anyway...and even the icons and boxes isnt really what would promt me to spend hours reinstalling and tweaking everything.

What cool new features does it have that I cant just download? Is it really more stable or less buggy? Better support? Faster?

I heard about some social networking tools. Are these pretty cool? Do you use them? Is it way better than Karmic?

How about support for Smartphones? I have an old mogul I would like to tether with. What about other smartphones or multi-media phones? What about webcam support? Advances to invite gaming? Maybe allow people to sell games that cost money to encourage some richer development? Maybe get native drivers for playing mainstream video games?

What is in the new stable release of Ubuntu that isnt in the previous version of Mint Linux?

I didn't find anything awesome incorporated to Lucid, nor I was looking for it. Sometimes the things that I suspect you're expecting come from upgrades of the specific applications, and not from the OS itself. Anyway, I haven't tried Mint (not an Ubuntu distro perse) but I'm quite happy with Lucid Lynx.

ankspo71
May 14th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Hi,
Here is a basic glance of features...
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/1004features

It was also designed to boot as fast as 10 seconds on a Dell Mini 9 with an SSD drive.

As for the comparison of Linux Mint, Ubuntu does not have any of the Mint applications. The latest Linux Mint (Isadora) is almost due to be released (any day now, see homepage for details) which should be based on Ubuntu 10.04, but with Mint's personal touch.

Features of Linux Mint 9
http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1386
Hope this helps.