View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lemony Snickets... a series of unfortunate hardware profiles (WIFI)

May 14th, 2010, 12:40 PM

Fantastically and improbably I have very incompatible (ie with ubuntu) pieces of hardware on both my Desktop and laptop. Since the linux gods did not seem to bless me with any specific programing skills I am stuck with the following problem. (I must admit I have been a noob since a long,long time ago in a land far, far away)

OK, my wifi does not seem to be working. Here is the low down:

lucid lynx
Netgear N300 usb(WN111v2)

lucid lynx
Broadcom BCM43xx (think it is BCM4311)

Ive managed to get the WN111v2 using ndiswrapper and when i plug it in the wireless connection activates my wireless profile i have created, but i do not see any other wireless networks in the area.

Next my laptop, Ive used the drivers given when you go to Sytem/Hardware Drivers for my bcm43xx and it seems to work. When i restart the laptop the same happens with the desktop. The network profile activates and it says it is connected. But i can also not see any other networks in the area and accordinly I cannot see the network created on the desktop.

I also tried to see if both connections were active by checking whether my PS3 could pick up any wifi signals, but it did not.

Also I when I disconnect both the laptop and desktop, the Wifi profiles disappear on each.

Help a poor soul

May 14th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Do you have a wireless router? If you don't take your laptop somewhere where there is public wifi access and try it there.

btw you won't see anything from your ps3 unless you have setup ad hoc wireless networking.

To setup ad hoc networking, have a look here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Adhoc)