PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Updating Kernel problems (acer aspire one/Ubuntustudio 9.04)

Monomer
May 14th, 2010, 06:09 AM
I'm having some problems going from 2.6.28-18-generic to 2.6.32xxx

I need to upgrade the kernel to support my Audio4dj USB interface. Patching alsa did not work (I'm still tinkering with that)

http://www.pogo.org.uk/~mark/linuxdj/

I've unpackaged the kernel files, they installed just fine. Updated grub and rebooted.

From the grub load screen, I select my freshly loaded 2.6.32 kernel and it begins to load. I get a quick flash of an error message (pci error of some sort) and it then it reboots and I'm back to where I started.

I'm sort of new to linux still. This kernel did run on this machine before flawlessly. I migrated from 9.04 to 9.10 and quickly back as I was having issues, so this is a fresh install again.

For those wondering, this is purely a machine to run Xwax and various other studio programs.

Help?

devilized
May 14th, 2010, 07:17 AM
I had the same problem with the same kernel - and never recovered from it. I ended up backing everything up and starting fresh with 9.10.

It's not to say that it's not possible to get working, but you're not the only one having that issue.

Monomer
May 14th, 2010, 08:07 AM
9.10 didn't support my intel onboard graphics.

10.04 seems to use the kernel I need from the get-go. Rumour has it the intel card is supported.

I hear pulse audio is also more embedded, and most programs I use simply don't support it.

rock and a hardplace, it seems.

devilized
May 14th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Everything in 9.04 worked great for me until a kernel update. I almost went back, but eventually wrestled 9.10 into working (90% of the way anyway)