PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Adding custom resolutions on nVidia

SirSigma
May 13th, 2010, 06:25 PM
So I built a new desktop a few days ago and installed Windows 7 Professional first. I spent the day yesterday trying to break it in, and it's probably worth mentioning that my motherboard has no onboard video, so I had to use an nVidia graphics card (GTS 250). I did everything I needed to do to install nVidia's drivers onto Windows 7, and everything worked out alright. I even configured the resolution to a nice 1280x800.

But my computer is never complete without Linux, so I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit. Resolutions were initially bad, until I managed to download the hardware drivers for the nVidia card from System > Administration > Hardware Drivers

Now here's my problem. I got them installed and everything, but the resolution I want is 1280x800, and the closest I can get is 1152x864. I would much rather prefer 1280x800, but I can't find any way to add the custom resolution.

And as you can guess, I've already scoured the Internet and tried using "xrandr --addmode" commands, but I always get "cannot find mode "1280x800"" I only come to this forum to ask for help as a last resort so I don't waste anybody's time if anyone else really needs help.

A problem I also have is that I don't know the refresh rate of my monitor. I'm using an HDTV and I sit quite some distance away from it (which is why I want 1280x800 resolution). I found some guides that would help me in my situation, but I end up questioning their results when I find out they're written in 2004, or I notice the step process is obscenely long.

If you didn't bother to read all this, I'll sum it up in list format.

- I build a desktop with a motherboard that has no onboard video, so I am using my nVidia GTS 250 card
- I got the desired resolution of 1280x800 on Windows 7 and wanted to do the same on Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit
- I installed the nVidia drivers and I have no option to use 1280x800
- I looked around for help, but I can't find anything that works

Any questions or suggestions of what to do?