PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Close program via terminal?

spydeyrch
May 10th, 2010, 10:34 PM
So, I was playing around with the terminal the other day and conky. I recently installed conky via the terminal and started it up via the terminal. It came up and looked nice. But I noticed that there wasn't any window edge to it (minimize, maximize, close, boarders, etc). So I couldn't move it around on my desktop nor could I close it at all. I wanted to close/end conky but couldn't figure out for the life of me how to do it in the terminal.

It isn't that big of a deal, nothing urgent. More curiosity than necesity.

So how do I do it? What command, option, argument do I use to end a program via the terminal?

Thanks in advance.

-Spydey :guitar:

utnubuuser
May 10th, 2010, 10:36 PM
sudo killall conky

spydeyrch
May 10th, 2010, 10:42 PM
sudo killall conky

So it is not necesary to have elevated privileges (sudo) to start a program yet it is to end a program? Interesting........

What kind of arguments and/or options could I add to the killall command? Could I use the killall command, or perhaps there is just a 'kill' command (???), and maybe a process ID number of some sorts to designate a specific process which I want to end? Just me thinking/questioning outloud. :)

Thanks for your quick response.

Do you know of any other way to end a program via the terminal? I ask because I have found that when dealing with linux (as with most anything), there are usually several different ways, some more complex than others, to get the same thing accomplished.

gzarkadas
May 10th, 2010, 10:43 PM
First do a
ps -A | grep <app-name> to get the process id (pid) of the program in question; then use
kill <pid> to send a SIGTERM to the program.

This will most of the time make the program to terminate. If not, then use
kill -s KILL <pid> to send a SIGKILL to the program and end it forcibly.

For very misbehaved GUI apps that don't let you even launch a terminal, type CTRL+ALT+F1 to go to a console login, login as usual and issue the commands above. Then, logout and type CTRL+ALT+F7 to return to the graphical environment.

wojox
May 10th, 2010, 10:44 PM
If you started it from the terminal then Ctrl+c will work.

spydeyrch
May 10th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Wonderful responses. Thank you very much everyone.

I will have to try those new commands.

I will also try the ctrl + c and see if it works.

Thanks again to everyone.

HarrisonNapper
May 10th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Wonderful responses. Thank you very much everyone.

I will have to try those new commands.

I will also try the ctrl + c and see if it works.

Thanks again to everyone.

Use Ctrl-C only if you started the app using the terminal. Not that there's much harm in doing it otherwise, it just won't help the situation.

m_duck
May 10th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Also, for GUI apps, you can run xkill from the terminal or run dialog, your mouse pointer will turn into a skull and cross bones, and then you can simply click the app you wish to end. In case you needed another alternative...

spydeyrch
May 10th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Also, for GUI apps, you can run xkill from the terminal or run dialog, your mouse pointer will turn into a skull and cross bones, and then you can simply click the app you wish to end. In case you needed another alternative...

That actually sounds pretty sweet!!! I will have to try it. I would love to scare my friends that run linux with this and tell them that it is a virus!! What a laugh that would be. Obviously I would tell them that it wasn't really a virus but it sure would be funny for the first few moments.

They are really new to linux, as in 5 days new. :P

Thanks again.

HarrisonNapper
May 12th, 2010, 06:20 PM
@spydey: In that case you should boot to the root shell (recovery mode) and tell them that is what linux actually is and you were showing them Mac OSX before

renegade9x
February 1st, 2013, 03:55 PM

Best response...... Thanks

codemaniac
February 1st, 2013, 04:10 PM
The thread is closed now.

As per the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct, please do not post in threads more than one year old.

Thanks!