PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins

cariboo907
May 10th, 2010, 05:57 AM
I just did an upgrade using Synaptic and was present with this. See screen shot.

Remember folks partial upgrades are bad, if you have to do an upgrade and are presented with something similar, use:

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude safe-upgrade.

autocrosser
May 10th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Yes--all the cries of "Meerkat ate my computer" :lolflag:

ranch hand
May 10th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Yes--all the cries of "Meerkat ate my computer" :lolflag:
I bet that is one part of the "natural" diet of the meercat.

MacUntu
May 10th, 2010, 04:10 PM
You just need to know if you need what's about to get removed - if not, there's no harm in doing partial upgrades. I let it remove those packages. ;)

taavikko
May 10th, 2010, 04:32 PM
You just need to know if you need what's about to get removed - if not, there's no harm in doing partial upgrades. I let it remove those packages. ;)

Yeah, and how many is experienced enough to check the changelogs and figure it out... ](*,)

shafin
May 10th, 2010, 04:42 PM
23meg's Partial upgrade thread from lucid testing forum should be ported and made sticky here. IMO that thread shoyuld be sticky in all testing & development forums for ubuntu.

MacUntu
May 10th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Yeah, and how many is experienced enough to check the changelogs and figure it out... ](*,)

If you remove something you don't know or care about, you'll possibly see breakage - rather common sense than rocket science. Partial upgrades aren't dangerous per se, lack of knowledge or interest is.

23meg's Partial upgrade thread from lucid testing forum should be ported and made sticky here. IMO that thread shoyuld be sticky in all testing & development forums for ubuntu.

I'm sure we'll soon see it here too. :)

taavikko
May 10th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Partial upgrades aren't dangerous per se, lack of knowledge or interest is.
I'm sure we'll soon see it here too. :)

Around alpha3.. Those who lack knowledge or interest...
Every cycle the same thing...

23meg, please copy the sticky from LL cycle and sticky it.

ranch hand
May 10th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Well, you learn or come to your senses and quit running testing OS'. At least I would think so.

Or at least learn to use something other than Update Mangler.

philinux
May 10th, 2010, 05:47 PM
23meg, please copy the sticky from LL cycle and sticky it.

Done until 23meg gets a chance to edit update it.

taavikko
May 10th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Done until 23meg gets a chance to edit update it.

Thanks.