PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04: missing files in var/log

thorbjornw
May 7th, 2010, 10:57 PM
I have upgraded both my desk- and laptop to 10.04 a week ago, and with practically no problems. However, today both have problems during boot. It takes longer than normal and when I open the log-file I get a message "Could not open the following files". There is a long list of files in /var/log that couldn't be opened as "No such file or directory": pm-suspend.log, wpa_supplicant.log, syslog.0, jockey.log.1,kern.log.0, auth.log.0, daemon.log.0,debug.0, messages.0, dkms_autoinstaller and finally "/var/log/btmp: The file is not a regular file or is not a text file".

Seems problem started after a kernel update today.

Any help?

thorbjornw
May 8th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I tried a re-install formatting the partition, and the problem is there immediately after install, without updating or installing any packages. I have now simply created the 10 missing files manually in var/log, and it seems to solve the problem - the error message goes away. But it can't be the right solution.

frantid
May 8th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I would run

sudo apt-get check

It may give you pointers on what packages are hung up. If it gives you errors about unconfigured packages, you can try

sudo dpkg --configure -a

thorbjornw
May 9th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Apparently everything is fine:

thor@thor-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get check
[sudo] password for thor:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
thor@thor-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
thor@thor-desktop:~$

The system works fine after I made the missing files in var/log. The same happened on my laptop, even if it was only two missing files there.

Strange. But thanks anyway.

frantid
May 9th, 2010, 01:41 AM
that's cool.

I'd run fsck on your drives, strange to drop files without warning.

alwaysanewbie
July 5th, 2010, 10:04 AM
After hours of googling, I finally found a workaround for this problem.

Here's how:

Open Gnome Configuration Editor (gconf-editor) and remove the names of missing files in
/apps/gnome-system-log/logfiles.

Thank Fillippo Mazza for his post!!!:

https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-utils/+question/89994

:p