PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] After upgrade to 10.04 flash not working

Kiwisaft
May 7th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Hey,

Since I upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04. I am not able to watch youtube videos anymore, it says " You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video". Then there is a link to adobe. But when I download and install it says "Package 'adobe-flashplugin' is already installed". So I tried to remove and reinstall - no change. Then I tried to remove and install flashplayer-nonfree - no change.
Tried it with firefox and seamonkey.

Hoping for ideas...

Kiwisaft
May 7th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Additional info:

- When I test it on http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/ it says "You have version 10,0,45,2 installed"

- I have a 32Bit System

- Tried both flashplugin-nonfree and adobe-flashplugin (APT for Ubuntu 9.04+)

driebel
May 7th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I had some painful flash issues too. I posted a thread on the absolute beginner's forum yesterday (just search for my user name over there) and a user named 'carlee' provided me with a flash installer she wrote that fixed everything.

Kiwisaft
May 8th, 2010, 09:18 AM
You mean this one: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1475441 ? Unfortunately I think we have different problems. It installs correctly but I still have problems with using it.

I read through so many posts but nobody seems to have the same problem :/ please help!

slice16
May 8th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Hi Kiwisaft,

Have you tried re-installing flash from the 'Ubuntu Software Centre'?

You can two options, the Adobe Flash Plugin (under search) or the offical flash plugin under Canonical Partners.

Regards,

Kiwisaft
May 8th, 2010, 09:32 AM
ah now sth did the trick: rm ~/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Before I tried all different kinds of removing and reinstalling packages from different sources.

thanks

andy16666
June 14th, 2010, 02:30 AM
Same problem. Stock 10.04 install. Youtube worked this morning, and this afternoon. But suddenly about an hour ago it started telling me that I need to upgrade my flash player.

rabble
June 14th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I also have this problem. Flashplugin-installer does work after I reinstall it; but, if I shut-down Firefox and reopen it, flash again does not work and I have to reinstall Flashpluging-installer. How to fix this?

dfarrell07
June 28th, 2010, 05:01 AM
My girlfriends laptop was having the exactly the same trouble as the OP. I quit Firefox, uninstalled flashplugin-installer via Synaptic and installed flashplugin-nonfree. Flash seems to be working normally now.

larry
August 8th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Dear All,
I do not know if this other problem is related: my girlfriend has just pointed me out that this page (online shop of a site)

http://www.freitag.ch/shop/FREITAG/shop.jsf

correctly shows an animation if visited from windows whereas you see nothing from firefox+ubuntu 10.04.
Does anyone else share her problems when he/she visits that site?
Cheers

larry

lads
August 16th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Hi everyone,

This thread is flagged as solved but there's no solution provided.

I upgraded to 10.04 last week, removed and re-installed the flash player several times in several ways, but Firefox simply ignores it. Meanwhile, everything working fine with Chrome. Is this a Firefox issue or an Ubuntu issue? Maybe time to leave Firefox behind?...

Thanks.

lads
August 17th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Hello everyone,

I tried the adobe-tools installer suggested in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1414595

I removed and re-installed Adobe but the result is the same, Firefox asks to install it every time a web page loads some flash content.

Is there any other flash player one can use with Firefox?

Thanks,

Lus

johnshore
August 22nd, 2010, 11:01 AM
Hi
I've had the same problem with Firefox ever since I upgraded to 10.04. Same with Seamonkey; and Epiphany just crashes.

I've just installed Chrome and it works perfectly. Must be time to (regretfully) leave Firefox behind.

John

mrgs
August 22nd, 2010, 12:18 PM
Hi
I've had the same problem with Firefox ever since I upgraded to 10.04. Same with Seamonkey; and Epiphany just crashes.

I've just installed Chrome and it works perfectly. Must be time to (regretfully) leave Firefox behind.

John

A lot of problems on this machine... Does it work with a 10.04 live CD?

mango42
August 22nd, 2010, 02:23 PM
Hi

John

Same problem here but is this a technical or political issue?

ISTM just about 'everyone' is being herded into the 'g00gle-sphere'. Look how the very word 'g00gle' has become a verb! Yet there are far better, more comprehensive search engines available that do not trample on the rights of humanity (eg: https://startpage.com/ ).

Is this situation healthy? Certain countries think not and are now pursuing g00gle through their courts. Why?

lads
August 24th, 2010, 09:50 AM
There's a new development now with Firefox, when it loads a page with some flash content it asks to install missing plug-ins, but unlike before, it actually downloads and installs some package. The result is the same though.

Has anyone here tried some Firefox forum? Can a link be provided there?

Thanks,

Lus

mrgs
August 24th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Here is everything that is worth knowing of Firefox:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567

lads
August 25th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks mrgs that did it.

The solution for me was at this page:

http://firefox-tutorials.blogspot.com/2010/06/flash-issues-solutions.html

Scrolling down to the section "Flash doesn't work or I get an error on some web pages asking to install flash, but I have already installed the latest version." it explains that I probably had more than one flash player installed creating a conflict.

This is the recipe:

sudo apt-get purge lightspark
sudo apt-get purge swfdec-mozilla
sudo apt-get purge mozilla-plugin-gnash
sudo apt-get purge adobe-flashplugin
sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree
sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-installer
rm -f /home/**/.mozilla/plugins/*flash*so
rm -rf /home/**/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32/Macromed/Flash
sudo rm -f /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/libflashplayer.so
sudo rm -f /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/libflashplayer.so

After that I restarted Firefox and all flash contents started working ok.

Thank you,

Lus

johnshore
September 11th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks mrgs that did it.

Scrolling down to the section "Flash doesn't work or I get an error on some web pages asking to install flash, but I have already installed the latest version." it explains that I probably had more than one flash player installed creating a conflict.

This is the recipe:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/libflashplayer.so

After that I restarted Firefox and all flash contents started working ok.

Thank you,

Lus
Thank you both. I went through the terminal commands you posted and it worked fine (repaired Epiphany too)

thebigdaddy0
October 20th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Suddenly my flash stopped working. After a few days pulling my hair out and cursing my computer I uninstalled GNASH SWF viewer and now all is well with the world. All working again. Curse you GNASH. :mad:

Irina Korova
November 18th, 2010, 09:54 PM
@lads: may God give you long life and good health!! :D I was trying for days to solve this issue and I nearly gave up - you save me ;)

CyborgSmurf
November 19th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Maybe flash is named for what it is. It only works in one flash in youtube and that's it. #14 helped me out, with the Flash-Aid add-on for firefox. Thanks alot! :)

lads
January 4th, 2011, 11:04 AM
To the admins:

This same issue is also occurring after the upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10. There might be something wrong with the upgrade procedures that embroils Firefox. Luckily the recipe I dug out solves it with this new version as well:

You may consider changing the thread's title to include a reference to Ubuntu 10.10.

Best,

Lus

mrgs
January 5th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Is it also a problem with a clean install of 10.10?

pollixx
January 31st, 2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks mrgs that did it.

This is the recipe:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/libflashplayer.soAfter that I restarted Firefox and all flash contents started working ok.

Thank you,

Lus

Thank-you! This worked perfectly for me!

boroborolama
February 23rd, 2011, 08:38 PM
Thanks Luis (a.k.a. lads). I must have had some other flashplayer '.so' file installed. The Ubuntu Software Center claimed otherwise, but the command line solution worked wonderfully.

Thank you.