PDA

View Full Version : Switching 10.4 to Netbook Remix Version

Scorchgid
May 7th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Wanted to switch to netbook remix without reinstalltion

Hey, Iím using a partition drive (part 10.4, part XP SP3)

A while ago I was running 9.10 netbook remix, Seeing the new beta and being the eagar person I am and wanting firefox 3.6 I wanted to try it, I was told use terminal to access the beta, I followed and copied code to get this.

To my ignorant surprise, I found it was the non desktop version also that I couldnít get firefox

So the real version is out, and so is the netbook remix, but I after looking around there seems to be no direct way to change this laptop to run the netbook remix version apart from uninstalling and reparation.
I donít want to try that again as the last time, I ended up with several version as well as damaging windows so that it had to be reinstalled. Oh and as well as loosing data.

So I KNOW there must be a way through terminal to switch it to netbook remix and keep all my settings, the same way I was able to upgrade to the beta version.

Would like some help

Many thanks,

Scorchgid

Ps. I do remember reading something about switching your layout to remix, but is this just an appearance config or does remix work exactly the same and as fast as the desktop version.

nicolastroche
May 7th, 2010, 04:52 PM
try to use the netbook live cd, I install it and i think desktop is faster than netbook. If your computer is not very old, try what happens.

KdotJ
May 7th, 2010, 04:53 PM
To my knowledge, the normal ubuntu and the netbook remix are exactly the same except for the interface, underneath it's all the same stuff. You can get the netbook interface by goin to synaptic and searching for 'netbook-launcher' and mark it for installation. Click Apply and it should sort the rest out for you, reboot and you should get the netbook interface

Scorchgid
May 7th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I check like you said, and they were installed, i tried the reinstall option, to no effect. the only thing i haven't tried is uninstalling them then reinstalling

KdotJ
May 7th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Ok, try going to

System > Administration > Login Screen

Then click the "Unlock" button and enter your password.
Look at the drop-down box, is the netbook option in there?

Scorchgid
May 8th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Ok, try going to

... It is.... great now I feel all noobish.
But thank you ^_^. I wasn't expecting both versions to be installed.

KdotJ
May 9th, 2010, 04:48 PM
... It is.... great now I feel all noobish.
But thank you ^_^. I wasn't expecting both versions to be installed.

Lol no need to feel noobish, everyone learns from somewhere. As a side note, you will be able to choose between normal GNOME and the netbook interface at the login screen. When you boot up and the login screen comes up, select your user and at the bottom toward the right you will see a something called 'session', from here you can select your desktop choice from the list

albrt741
August 21st, 2010, 05:28 PM
Ok, try going to

Thanks from me too!

Alberto

KegHead
August 21st, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hi!

A real time saver!

KegHead