View Full Version : First Report on the Internet from CBC

May 5th, 2010, 11:34 PM

CBC gives one of the first reports on the internet. There are some very interesting observations in this video. I love how alien and magical it once seemed.

Some of us use the internet for pretty mediocre purposes, but none of us would have Linux without it (or the modern OS X, for that matter), so I think it's something worth reflecting on.

May 5th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Cool story! :-)

May 5th, 2010, 11:51 PM
That was a good watch, thanks.

May 6th, 2010, 12:26 AM
wow, really cool! thanks! :)

what year was that?
or did i miss it.......... lol

May 6th, 2010, 01:23 AM
It was in the late 80s- I keep looking for info, but I can't find any specific date beyond that.

Lux Perpetua
May 6th, 2010, 01:27 AM
It's an interesting kind of restraint that you find. I meant there's not a lot of cursing or swearing; there's not a lot of personal cuts; there's not a lot of the put-downs that one would expect to find. There's not screenfulls of "go to hell," which is surprising. So the kind of liberation is mixed. It's interesting, because one would think, if you're anonymous, you'd do anything you want. But people have, in a group, their own sense of community and "what we can do." I guess that was before the internet came to the masses. :-D

May 6th, 2010, 01:29 AM
I remember seeing similar items on TV over here. I can't remember if it was the late 80s or early 90s. It brings back memories of being frustrated by having a '286 based machine with 5.25" disk drives when the only ISP available to me at the time sent out their setup disks for '386 machines on 3.5" floppies.

May 6th, 2010, 01:43 AM
I guess that was before the internet came to the masses. :-D

How innocent we once were...

May 6th, 2010, 02:53 AM
I guess that was before the internet came to the masses. :-D

:lol: I was thinking the same thing. :KS+1 lol

lisatis post reminded me of something i caught in the movie "Hackers" once that made me laugh.....
when they were checkin' out angelina jolies computer with the "siiik 28 kbps modem!" :guitar: