PDA

View Full Version : Google chrome 2 thumbs up

Timmer1240
May 5th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Does anybody else use google chrome Im on Karmic with google chrome just thought Ide try it shes fast as Hell Karmics really fast and with this browser WOW!Ubuntus Awesome too!Windows sux!

smellyman
May 5th, 2010, 04:24 AM
I have bad eyes and until google chrome has a zoom text only option I will keep giving it a pass.

Mr. Picklesworth
May 5th, 2010, 04:34 AM
I have bad eyes and until google chrome has a zoom text only option I will keep giving it a pass.

Well, for what it's worth you can head to the Options, then the Under the Hood section and “Change font and language settings” near the bottom.

Not really an ideal solution, though. Have you considered filing a bug report with the Chromium project? They're usually pretty responsive.

lovinglinux
May 5th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Lots of people use Chromium instead of Chrome, since it's open source and doesn't have all the data-mining additions of Google Chrome. Anyway, it doesn't even load any pages here, but I don't care. I love Firefox. Someone already suggested changing my nickname to lovingfirefox :)

murderslastcrow
May 5th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Chromium also seems a bit faster, to me. After installing today I found the idea of going online to download a deb and double clicking it too painful, so I just installed Chromium from the Software Center (lazy, I know).

Isn't Google Chrome basically the stable version of Chromium? Also, I thought that Chromium Iron was the one without the "privacy-killing-settings" enabled. http://www.ghacks.net/2008/09/25/chromium-iron/

lovinglinux
May 5th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Chromium also seems a bit faster, to me. After installing today I found the idea of going online to download a deb and double clicking it too painful, so I just installed Chromium from the Software Center (lazy, I know).

Isn't Google Chrome basically the stable version of Chromium? Also, I thought that Chromium Iron was the one without the "privacy-killing-settings" enabled. http://www.ghacks.net/2008/09/25/chromium-iron/

As far as I remember, Chrome has more stuff than Chromium. I never tried Iron tho.

cariboo907
May 5th, 2010, 08:10 AM
To any one that needs to zoom a page, Ctrl++ works with most applications

Mr. Picklesworth
May 5th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Isn't Google Chrome basically the stable version of Chromium

Yep. Chromium is to Chrome what Minefield / Shiretoko / whatever is to Firefox. There's a more stable Chromium Beta PPA now, too.

Chrome also happens to install to /opt, whereas Chromium installs to /usr/share like a good package. Probably some deeper reasoning for all that :)

Oh, and don't worry about the "data mining" claim. There's this strange myth bouncing around that Google uses Chrome to perform a violent attack on peoples' privacy, even though doing so would be completely against their best interests (and pretty easily found out).

It is a good idea to read the privacy documentation (http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?answer=114836&hl=en), though, so you know what's going on (it's a bit more aggressive in querying different servers) and so you may configure things as you feel comfortable.

Mr. Picklesworth
May 5th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Oops, double post.

asddf
May 5th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Chromes very good even on Windows.

madnessjack
May 5th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Wouldn't mind a Mac-style button layout for Lucid (not on about just using system borders! :P)

flukeairwalker
May 5th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I'm using Chromium from the repos in UNR Lucid and it's working just as well as Chrome did on Karmic. Also to zoom just hit Ctrl +/-. Chromium seems to be doing everything Chrome does, except for it not shipping with Flash. I honestly can't tell the difference in terms of functionality. A+ in my (net)book.

98cwitr
May 5th, 2010, 02:04 PM
only browser I use on all my machines. It rocks.

JohnnyC35
May 5th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Chrome does seem a bit faster than Firefox but I'll be staying with Firefox for 1 reason. I get Airmiles on my searches :D

Johnsie
May 5th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I like IE8 and Firefox. I'll give chrome another try now that they seem to have plugins.

smellyman
May 5th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I'm using Chromium from the repos in UNR Lucid and it's working just as well as Chrome did on Karmic. Also to zoom just hit Ctrl +/-. Chromium seems to be doing everything Chrome does, except for it not shipping with Flash. I honestly can't tell the difference in terms of functionality. A+ in my (net)book.

I know you can zoom with ctrl +, but there isn't a text only option. If there isn't a txt only option it makes you have to scroll right and left way too much and makes many sites unusable.

FF and Safari do a great job of zooming txt only when you tick that option.

the.scarecrow
May 5th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I don't feel comfortable about using Chromium. I was trying it out on a new install of Lucid and logged into my Gmail account.

Later I connected to Youtube and just went to log in and was greeted with a message that my Youtube account had/could be linked to my Gmail account. In future I could use my Gmail account details to log into Youtube.

These two accounts have completely different user names and passwords and clearly Chromium was passing my identity details between the two services. I don't like that so I uninstalled Chromium.

However, the link between Gmail and Youtube now seems to be permanent.

ds77
May 5th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I don't feel comfortable about using Chromium. I was trying it out on a new install of Lucid and logged into my Gmail account.

Later I connected to Youtube and just went to log in and was greeted with a message that my Youtube account had/could be linked to my Gmail account. In future I could use my Gmail account details to log into Youtube.

These two accounts have completely different user names and passwords and clearly Chromium was passing my identity details between the two services. I don't like that so I uninstalled Chromium.

However, the link between Gmail and Youtube now seems to be permanent.

As far as I know, your GMail user name will be the default from now on. They are phasing out the youtube log in names now that gmail owns youtube.

Just read before you accept anything and it should be ok. It actually makes it pretty easy if you use gmail and youtube often.

shihkster1015
May 5th, 2010, 03:07 PM
are you guys using cxchromium?? or the repo version (the one where chrome's icon is completely blue)?

mörgæs
May 5th, 2010, 03:33 PM
This is fast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oarMXGq3gI

shihkster1015
May 5th, 2010, 03:37 PM
anyone manage to get chrome to work properly?
the two avaliable net downloads dont really work properly. The crossover edition's crap and the one developed for ubuntu's so buggy it can't load gmail

madnessjack
May 5th, 2010, 03:42 PM
anyone manage to get chrome to work properly?
the two avaliable net downloads dont really work properly. The crossover edition's crap and the one developed for ubuntu's so buggy it can't load gmail
http://www.google.com/chrome?platform=linux

Is the link I use

the.scarecrow
May 5th, 2010, 03:49 PM
As far as I know, your GMail user name will be the default from now on. They are phasing out the youtube log in names now that gmail owns youtube.

Just read before you accept anything and it should be ok. It actually makes it pretty easy if you use gmail and youtube often.

What bothers me is that Chromium seemed to forge the link between these accounts without asking me. I use Firefox and connect regularly between the two without any link being formed. The first time I used Chromium, the link was made so me thinks Chromium told Youtube who I was. In Gmail I use my real name, Youtube is just a pseudonym.

Lightstar
May 5th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I use chrome on netbooks, very light and fast.
On big PCs, Firefox, too many good add-ons I can't live without.

Mr. Picklesworth
May 5th, 2010, 05:12 PM
What bothers me is that Chromium seemed to forge the link between these accounts without asking me. I use Firefox and connect regularly between the two without any link being formed. The first time I used Chromium, the link was made so me thinks Chromium told Youtube who I was. In Gmail I use my real name, Youtube is just a pseudonym.

It isn't a Chromium thing; I for one am sure of that. This migration happened for me well before Chromium even existed. Chances are it uses cookies for this task, so did you happen to configure them differently in Firefox?

User3k
May 5th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I use Google Chrome on any OS I have about 97% of the time. It is a recent move that I am very happy with. Google Chrome is much faster then Firefox and is much more stable. Don't get me wrong, I still love Firefox, but as time goes by new ways replace old ones.

the.scarecrow
May 5th, 2010, 08:53 PM
It isn't a Chromium thing; I for one am sure of that. This migration happened for me well before Chromium even existed. Chances are it uses cookies for this task, so did you happen to configure them differently in Firefox?

Well that's possible, I normally set Firefox to delete most of my history on shutdown but do not delete cookies or logins. I used Chromium just as it came out the Synaptic box.

I still look upon Chromium as Big Brother and don't intend replacing Firefox with it anytime soon.

shihkster1015
May 6th, 2010, 02:49 AM
chromium's just a lot faster for a little machine running ubuntu.
It's kind of sad that firefox messed up. It used to be light weight and fast. But now there are so many plugins avaliable it's so easy to slow it down. and without the plugins, firefox's real slow :(

vaiocomputer
May 6th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Firefox used to be slow as hell for me too in 3.5. But now, 3.6 seems to be alooot faster. On my add-on infested install, it used to be as slow as IE, but now it's actually usable.

Getting Vacuum Places Improved to run on every firefox start, will also improve your browsing speed dramatically.

Chrome's javascript add-ons are no match for firefox's.

lovinglinux
May 6th, 2010, 05:27 AM
chromium's just a lot faster for a little machine running ubuntu.
It's kind of sad that firefox messed up. It used to be light weight and fast. But now there are so many plugins avaliable it's so easy to slow it down. and without the plugins, firefox's real slow :(

I have more than 50 extensions installed and it works just fine.

See Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567)

BTW, you are referring to extensions, not plugins.

shihkster1015
May 6th, 2010, 05:59 AM
switching tabs in firefox (no matter which version) on ubuntu takes forever if compared to micro$oft

TheNessus
May 6th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Does anybody else use google chrome Im on Karmic with google chrome just thought Ide try it shes fast as Hell Karmics really fast and with this browser WOW!Ubuntus Awesome too!Windows sux!

here, learn this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuation

PC_load_letter
May 6th, 2010, 06:12 AM

Just so that we would be on the same page, you know that Google owns youtube, no? I use Chromium and I have been asked this question before, and I sign on automatically on youtube w/ my Gmail account. I have no privacy problems w/ it at all.
Chromium does not pass my information to every site I visit, but in case of youtube (since it's owned by Google), I see the youtube auto login as a feature, not a bug :)

Timmer1240
May 13th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Hey I never liked english in highschool! So punctuate my A** !

pwnst*r
May 13th, 2010, 01:42 AM

Hell yeah, Windows sux because Chrome is not near as good on it!!! WOW!

lovinglinux
May 13th, 2010, 04:46 AM
switching tabs in firefox (no matter which version) on ubuntu takes forever if compared to micro$oft

Probably an extension causing this. The latest Ghostery is one of them. It makes switching tabs painfully slow. Disabling this extension solved the problem for me. Now switching tabs is really fast again.

You should try to disable all extensions to see if the problem persists. See this (http://firefox-tutorials.blogspot.com/2010/05/extensions-optimization.html).

vacc73
May 13th, 2010, 04:57 AM
I use chromium as well and am liking it more and more, especially since it plays nice with ebay and paypal,something Opera doesn't seem to do yet. Firefox doesn't seem to want to open, but with chromium improving I am not overly concerned.:guitar:

User3k
May 13th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I am a little sad. I still love Firefox, when they came out the saved me from Internet Explorer. I haven't used IE since, Firefox was always there. Then along comes Google Chrome. It took me some time but now that I am using it I really think this is the next major browser. I just hope Firefox stays around. I would hate to see such a great browser go the way of Netscape (If you don't know what Netscape was, please don't ask, just Google it ;-) lol )

McRat
May 13th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Chrome is very good. I think it's the perhaps the fastest and most stable of the browsers so far. Not a big Google fan, but it's really a very good application.

pwnst*r
May 13th, 2010, 02:25 PM
I use chromium as well and am liking it more and more, especially since it plays nice with ebay and paypal,something Opera doesn't seem to do yet. Firefox doesn't seem to want to open, but with chromium improving I am not overly concerned.:guitar:

^netbook user?

the.scarecrow
May 13th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Just so that we would be on the same page, you know that Google owns youtube, no? I use Chromium and I have been asked this question before, and I sign on automatically on youtube w/ my Gmail account. I have no privacy problems w/ it at all.
Chromium does not pass my information to every site I visit, but in case of youtube (since it's owned by Google), I see the youtube auto login as a feature, not a bug :)

I do know YouTube are Google owned. It took Chromium to forge the link between my two separate accounts. Firefox never made such a link. I don't wanna be Google owned. I want a browser to just brows and not tell tails behind my back.