PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] ship-it says..

badman35
May 5th, 2010, 01:08 AM
shipit site says that i have gotten to many cd's from them what can I do?? When I get a cd from ship-it I make copy's of it so I can hand them out to others... it also says that I need to "contribute back" well is not making copy's from my own pocket giving back? Over the years I have shelled out around 400-600 dollars just for making copy's of ubuntu cd's. We have dial-up only here where I'm at with no other internet source. I would like for ship-it to start shipping out dvd's with the iso's on them. Pack them full every buntu release. That would help me alot and others to ubuntu makes it simple to burn a iso to cd. I have included the screen shot of ship-it.

Iowan
May 5th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Not a support request - relocated to Cafe.

nmccrina
May 5th, 2010, 03:56 AM
That does seem a little unfair. What if someone had no internet at all? None of the three options they give are really practical in that case, yet that person would surely want to continue getting the latest version.

Is there a way to pay for the ship-it cd and continue to receive them?

badman35
May 5th, 2010, 04:24 AM
That does seem a little unfair. What if someone had no internet at all? None of the three options they give are really practical in that case, yet that person would surely want to continue getting the latest version.

Is there a way to pay for the ship-it cd and continue to receive them?

Thanks for the reply "nmccrina" look at there shop you can not buy just cd it has got to be 100 or more that sucks. It would be very nice to have them all/or most (iso's) on a DVD that makes better sense. I do understand that it costs a lot for shipping but I have ordered less from other venders and got what i wanted and not what they wanted to sell me.

kaldor
May 5th, 2010, 04:35 AM
shipit site says that i have gotten to many cd's from them what can I do?? When I get a cd from ship-it I make copy's of it so I can hand them out to others... it also says that I need to "contribute back" well is not making copy's from my own pocket giving back? Over the years I have shelled out around 400-600 dollars just for making copy's of ubuntu cd's. We have dial-up only here where I'm at with no other internet source. I would like for ship-it to start shipping out dvd's with the iso's on them. Pack them full every buntu release. That would help me alot and others to ubuntu makes it simple to burn a iso to cd. I have included the screen shot of ship-it.

I agree. I used to order them in 5's and pass them out to people at schools/workplaces. I know a few of them use it now too.

badman35
May 5th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Not a support request - relocated to Cafe.

The last time i was done this way was back when 7.04 was released and I was told in an email to post in the general support forums for help if it happened again. And I still have the email too..

Rasa1111
May 5th, 2010, 04:46 AM
someone posted a thread with the same thing the other day...
but, unlike you, with a decent reason..
..... his only reason was because he "didnt have any cd's" lol

sorry you cant get one yet.
if worse comes to worst and you cant get a copy..
i or someone else im sure would be glad to make you one or two.
[i know, not as cool as from canonical, but still....]. lol
g'luck.

bsharp
May 5th, 2010, 04:52 AM
http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/products/linux/ubuntu

badman35
May 5th, 2010, 05:01 AM
I knew i was not the only one that was doing that giving away cd's that is. I like ubuntu a lot it has saved me from winblows more times then I care to count. and Yes i am using it right now to type this. Shipit was the one factor that got me using ubuntu in the first place. The fact that here is a company that will give away a OS so people could/would try it is wonderful. I have almost every pc in my home using ubuntu OS and I think it is a great OS but as in the first post I have DIAL-UP for my internet and I can not get DSL or any of the high speed internet if I could I would not be posting here about shipit. And further more I would like to know to whom I e-mail, IM or what-not to voice this to...

3rdalbum
May 5th, 2010, 06:14 AM
You can buy Ubuntu CDs in boxes of 5, from http://shop.canonical.com

User3k
May 5th, 2010, 06:18 AM
I always download my cd's/dvd's these days. But didn't Ubuntu say in the beginning that free the cd's would always be free for everyone? I always wondered about that. I knew once Ubuntu grew in popularity that it would be a hard promise to keep considering the cost of shipping alone.

I am glad and lucky to be able to either buy them myself, they are very cheap, or just download them since I have broadband. But not everyone is able to do either.

If you can't afford to buy them and are unable to download them. Is there anyway you could find someone that lives near you that might be able to download them for you? Or maybe they can make a copy of it?

ssj6akshat
May 5th, 2010, 08:20 AM
just increase your launchpad karma by contributing code,patches,bug reports,translations or just plain old answers to questions and the CDs would be back

NightwishFan
May 5th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I advise if you have any other method of obtaining Ubuntu, including paying for a pack of the media, that you do so. I plan on buying a few to give away.

ssj6akshat
May 5th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Ship-It is also accepting donations if anyone is interested.

badman35
May 7th, 2010, 02:28 AM
just increase your launchpad karma by contributing code,patches,bug reports,translations or just plain old answers to questions and the CDs would be back

Well just how much Karma? 8, 30 or 100????

badman35
June 10th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Well just how much Karma? 8, 30 or 100????

Well Everyone I'm still waiting???

NightwishFan
June 10th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I would not know.

badman35
January 9th, 2011, 08:08 AM
I marked this as solved. Their is no sense in thinking that ship-it will ever start letting me have anymore cd's so there.. I have right now 6 lucid machines and I still can not get any cd's..

Paqman
January 9th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Shipit announced a while back that they would be limiting the number of free CDs that were available. They're obviously trying to reign in costs, which is reasonable (especially since they do still let you have some for free)

If you want more you will have to pay, but as 3rdalbum points out you can get them in packs of 5, 20, 100 or 200. Or you could just download or buy one and then make your own using the packaging materials on Spreadubuntu (http://spreadubuntu.org/en/get-materials/packaging).

Endomancer
January 9th, 2011, 11:29 AM
In your original post you mentioned that you have handed out copies of Ubuntu.
Is it possible for any of those you have given a copy to, to make an order themselves and then return your favor by giving you a copy?

zer010
January 9th, 2011, 12:34 PM
In your original post you mentioned that you have handed out copies of Ubuntu.
Is it possible for any of those you have given a copy to, to make an order themselves and then return your favor by giving you a copy?
+1
Surely, one of those people can make an order or even download the .iso and pass a copy on to you....