PDA

View Full Version : where should we go?

pmbty54
May 4th, 2010, 10:38 AM
hi,

i like ubuntu ALSO. but we are in this technological world. should we consider the better choices? ubuntu is easy to use and that's why we are mad for it. Though it always doesn't give you all that for a strong server administration as fedora does. I was looking for a difference between the Ubuntu and the fedora.

Serious developers and newbies should have a look at:

http://optics.csufresno.edu/~kriehn/fedora/ubuntu.html (http://optics.csufresno.edu/%7Ekriehn/fedora/ubuntu.html)

where the author practically depicts the usage of both - fedora and ubuntu and is a fact to be accepted by the community.

Also there is a short information (from the pc world) at:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/146400/desktop_linux_faceoff_ubuntu_804_vs_fedora_9.html

They clear the ideas of fedora myths at:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraMyths

Good tabular difference table at:

http://polishlinux.org/choose/comparison/?distro1=Ubuntu&distro2=Fedora

Here are other general links:

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3862556/Fedora-vs-Ubuntu-Is-Either-Better.htm

http://mahmudahsan.wordpress.com/2008/03/02/ubuntu-vs-fedora/

http://polishlinux.org/choose/comparison/?distro1=Ubuntu&distro2=Fedora

http://www.osnews.com/story/19818/Ubuntu-8.04-vs.-Fedora-9

I just want to know what should one use? Fedora or Ubuntu? I am confused, please help. Though I know that both are good and have owns pros and cons but still the things are different. For the novices like me, I anticipate to know all that.

Thx to the community.

pmbty54
May 4th, 2010, 10:47 AM
i was amazed to see this terrible facts at:

http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-612-1

http://linuxchic.net/geekery/ubuntu-fail/

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBugDay/20081028

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2005-November/013259.html

http://www.debuntu.org/2006/05/12/48-debian-ubuntu-weakness-to-filesystem-corruption-recovery

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Weakness-in-OpenSSL-on-Debian-and-Ubuntu-Discovered-85563.shtml

http://keznews.com/6404_Windows_7_vs__Ubuntu_9_10_-_Strengths_and_weaknesses

http://blog.opensourcenerd.com/why-ubuntu-fails

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-11249.html

i am new and am confused to opt between fedora and ubuntu.

baddog144
May 4th, 2010, 10:53 AM
No distro is perfect, it's pretty much up to you to weigh up the advantages and disadvantages of each. Personally, I'd go Ubuntu, but really it's up to you :)

inameiname
May 4th, 2010, 10:56 AM
For a newbie, Ubuntu is definitely the way to go. If you hadn't noticed from this messageboard, there is a whole lot more help when you need it. Not to say Fedora is bad.

To be honest with you, depending on what you want out of a system, and how much customization you plan to make with it, most of the main Linux OS currently out there work.

As for your links, most are at least 2 years old, and apply to problems with things in versions of Ubuntu that are quite outdated. I wouldn't hold too much merit in those anymore. While I can't say I've been with Ubuntu, or even Linux, for super long, I can say that it's gone through a fair amount of change and updating and tweaking over the last few years.

In the end, I would check out and base your decision as to which one works best by the newer articles and reviews out there, over, say, the past year or so.

3rdalbum
May 4th, 2010, 11:45 AM
This is not Windows XP - it's not like we're using the same system that we were using in 2005!

For your 2005 bug, which I assume was the password-in-cleartext bug, we don't even use the same installer anymore by default. And as soon as the bug was discovered, Canonical released a security advisory telling users what the problem was and how to fix it. When a patch was ready, it not only patched the installer's problem, but it also removed the password from an existing file AND made the file unreadable by anyone except root.

Hey, use whatever distribution takes your fancy. But Fedora is not immune to the occasional security flaw. What does matter is how the distribution vendor responds to security flaws, and Ubuntu has always responded very well.

pmbty54
May 4th, 2010, 11:50 AM
pretty correct baddog144 each distro has its own, pros and cons but for a new person it is a point worth noting and reviewing for making any selection.

pmbty54
May 4th, 2010, 11:57 AM
thx inameiname. your suggestions are worth noting. please see my other post also for other links also. though i confess that the links are at least 2 years old, and now the bugs have been fixed but still some say with emphasis that fedora is much more stong for the server side applications and especially compared with the sister ubuntu. though, it really depends on what you exactly want out of the system. but should one go to fedora for a much better enhanced security and more tools overall making it superior to ubuntu which is more user friendly than the former is. though, my intention and sole purpose to use linnux distro is to learn and apply linux in daily life to replace the windows which has no secuirity as compared with the linux OS. so overall, learning plua going into the depth, i guess and assume fedora to be more than unbuntu, thugh one factor of decision is on the user also. but i admire the pros and cons in case one can fully elaborate.

Elfy
May 4th, 2010, 12:06 PM
merged and moved to cafe

pmbty54
May 4th, 2010, 12:07 PM
3rdalbum, can you elaborate your sentence:

"But Fedora is not immune to the occasional security flaw."

and do you think this is a correct as far as its authenticity is considered. further i guess its really dependent on the user which flavor he likes? but the general pros and cons of all the possible distros should be a great decisive point. Though you may even be the master of Ubuntu but you cannot deny the advantages of Fedora, for Fedora masters also fix the same. Though, Ubuntu is more user friendly but still the core developers suggest Fedora than Ubuntu as far as server administration is considered.

Though each and every individual is right to select his own way of linux and using what he/she likes, but a general idea of all the distros would be worth appreciable.

pmbty54
May 4th, 2010, 12:09 PM
what is meant by:

"merged and moved to cafe"

please explain it forestpiskie (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=610428)

Elfy
May 4th, 2010, 12:11 PM
what is meant by:

"merged and moved to cafe"

please explain it forestpiskie (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=610428)

I joined your two threads together and moved them out of support forums.

pmbty54
May 4th, 2010, 12:13 PM
why?

inameiname
May 4th, 2010, 12:19 PM
After thinking about this for a little while now this morning, I've come to the conclusion that most who are serious customizers, the foundation is only a small part of it. Like for me, I use Ubuntu, but I tweak it to such a degree the majority is my own OS with an Ubuntu foundation. Perhaps to a degree as Ubuntu's foundation, or birthplace, came from Debian OS. As I said before, my main like of Ubuntu is the availability of packages and help when needed for those basic things I haven't customized. Granted, I haven't gotten all that familiar and cozy with others other than the basics to truly compare.

In all, the best thing about Linux as opposed to Windows, is the ability to customize the heck out of really whatever you want, regardless of the distro.

I guess what I'm getting at is to truly decide which one you want, you must first think about what are you going to use it for, personal use, server use, whatever, how much are you wanting to tweak it on your own, how user friendly would you like it, and close you want it to resemble and feel like Windows. (Personally, mine is meant to be super user friendly and I use both a Windows theme and Windows Icons so as to make it super easy to give out to non-Linux users (including older generations with very little understanding of computers) and show them that there is another option, I think better, than dishing out a couple hundred bucks or find a cracked version of Windows. Thus, a sign that it's possible with Ubuntu.)

Oh, and I'll definitely check out those other links you posted; I'm always up for learning about new pros and cons and whatnots. :)

Elfy
May 4th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Neither forum was the right place for a list of links regrading choices between different distros - they are for support - while your threads might have been meant as requests for support - they do not come across as such.

Nor is there any need to post duplicate threads on the subject - this forum is the best place for these threads - although it was a close call as to whether to put them here or in Recurring Discussions.

pmbty54
May 4th, 2010, 12:52 PM
yes, you are correct inameiname, linux is much much better than windows and that's why i am switching from windows to the open source. and i wd try to learn the new things in linux but finally decided to install the fedora 11 for which i am having a live cd as well as bood. though i cannot deny ubuntu as a user friendly but the fact is that linux is one though a little variation wd definitely arise becoz of the different vendors. thx to linus tornalds also. and thx to the developeers also. i am also keen like you , to know new things not only related with the linux but in fact in any aspect of life.

inameiname
May 4th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Hehe, indeed. Well good luck with Fedora. Hope you get it working and tweaked to your liking. :)

pmbty54
May 4th, 2010, 01:24 PM
yea, thx, i am just starting as a new person in the world of linux. further, if any probs come, i wd be asking you also.

Elfy
May 4th, 2010, 01:26 PM
yea, thx, i am just starting as a new person in the world of linux. further, if any probs come, i wd be asking you also.

Good luck with whatever you choose :)

snowpine
May 4th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Good luck with Fedora 11; it will reach its "end of life" next month and then you will not get any more security updates or bug fixes, ever. If you had chosen Ubuntu 10.04 instead, you'd be looking forward to 3 years of support. ;)

Portmanteaufu
May 4th, 2010, 01:36 PM
yes, you are correct inameiname, linux is much much better than windows and that's why i am switching from windows to the open source. and i wd try to learn the new things in linux but finally decided to install the fedora 11 for which i am having a live cd as well as bood. though i cannot deny ubuntu as a user friendly but the fact is that linux is one though a little variation wd definitely arise becoz of the different vendors. thx to linus tornalds also. and thx to the developeers also. i am also keen like you , to know new things not only related with the linux but in fact in any aspect of life.

When making your decision (or for next time, since you've said you're going with Fedora 11), a meaningful exercise might be to try and determine the differences of substance between the two distributions. I say this because often times, the big difference between two distros will be:

The package manager. (The software which automagically finds and installs software for you.)
The packages (programs/libraries) which are already installed for you by default.

The first one is a substantial difference. There are probably four or five popular package managers out there (Yum, Apt, Pacman, etc), and they all have their nice features and different repositories. Which one you choose may impact how easily you can acquire new programs.

#2 almost can't be used as a point of comparison, but it inevitably is. With any Linux system, the vast majority of the code is community-produced and freely available from project web pages. Consider Ubuntu -- it's built with the Linux kernel behind the scenes, a bash shell, and Gnome & Compiz for the front-end. You can get all of those and build a near-perfect Ubuntu knock-off from scratch without ever visiting Ubuntu.com. The bits that make Ubuntu authentically "Ubuntu" are the bits that Canonical (Ubuntu's company) writes that are not pushed out as contributions to those community projects. And while Canonical produces a lot of code, a huge chunk of it goes to the Gnome project and similar.

Imagine this scenario:

An Ubuntu dev finds a critical problem in Gnome. (S)he writes a fix for it and submits it to the Gnome project. A month later, Fedora updates its version of Gnome and now they have the fix. The same scenario could go the other way around.

For one distribution to be "more secure" than the other, there would have to be security issues with those few packages that are exclusively produced for that distribution.

Does that make sense?

(True, there are other aspects like repository security and update frequency / version stability, but for the sake of what I'm describing I'm assuming these are equal.)

Have fun with Fedora! :D

Linuxforall
May 4th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Fedora is not perfect, due to its cutting edge nature, it comes with some serious bugs, for a newbie that would mean he or she would be off Linux for good, the fact that Ubuntu manages to stay on top of the Totem pole speaks for itself, it does so by being easy to run and yet, can be tweaked to the max, the links you post are obviously written by big Fedora fan, I know quite a few busineses and big institutes running Ubuntu, has it been that insecure or bad, they would be been compromised by now, Fedora is very good in its own way but Ubuntu it ain't and let me ask you, why did you come to all that trouble to post this here, are you trying to tell us all Ubuntu users that we are fools for using Ubuntu and should migrate to Fedora en masse, try this, go to Fedora forum and ask them why they always lag behind in numbers to Ubuntu or why some of their cutting edge stuff that they incorporate also brings grief to users, see how fast you would be thrown out of that forum.

Just install Fedora and try updating it through the joke of a package manager that they give, you will run back to debian based distro in a second, of course if you use yum in terminal, you won't notice that.

pmbty54
May 4th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Good luck with whatever you choose :)

ty

pmbty54
May 4th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Fedora is not perfect, due to its cutting edge nature, it comes with some serious bugs, for a newbie that would mean he or she would be off Linux for good, the fact that Ubuntu manages to stay on top of the Totem pole speaks for itself, it does so by being easy to run and yet, can be tweaked to the max, the links you post are obviously written by big Fedora fan, I know quite a few busineses and big institutes running Ubuntu, has it been that insecure or bad, they would be been compromised by now, Fedora is very good in its own way but Ubuntu it ain't and let me ask you, why did you come to all that trouble to post this here, are you trying to tell us all Ubuntu users that we are fools for using Ubuntu and should migrate to Fedora en masse, try this, go to Fedora forum and ask them why they always lag behind in numbers to Ubuntu or why some of their cutting edge stuff that they incorporate also brings grief to users, see how fast you would be thrown out of that forum.

Just install Fedora and try updating it through the joke of a package manager that they give, you will run back to debian based distro in a second, of course if you use yum in terminal, you won't notice that.

liked you post linuxforall. good points to ponder over. i know that ubuntu is used by more people as compared to the usage of fedora. even if you are the owner of this forum, let me tell you, Mr.owner, here i can discuss all the things related with linux and discuss the pros and cons of any distros, so that everyone know what exactly and how exactly the technology is ahead or behind something. if you say that ubuntu means only ubuntu, it is not that right, after all, each and every version is finally linux. and moreover, in the market you cannot speak to anyone to not sell oranges if you like only the mangoes; both would be sold out and both have their own pros and cons. it depends on the person who want to eat oranges or mangoes. but to discuss the vitality of each flavor enhances not only knowledge but also promotes to explore with much more possibilities.

i am not from the users of fedora or ubuntu, but i am seeing each distros pros and cons and then to decide which to install. though no doubt ubuntu is also very good but fedora also has strongs server administration features.

i thank to you for your suggestions which help me explore some more things abt linux in all.

pmbty54
May 4th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Good luck with Fedora 11; it will reach its "end of life" next month and then you will not get any more security updates or bug fixes, ever. If you had chosen Ubuntu 10.04 instead, you'd be looking forward to 3 years of support. ;)

thx for this information, it makes me think ........... i have to decide again:)

pmbty54
May 4th, 2010, 06:43 PM
When making your decision (or for next time, since you've said you're going with Fedora 11), a meaningful exercise might be to try and determine the differences of substance between the two distributions. I say this because often times, the big difference between two distros will be:

The package manager. (The software which automagically finds and installs software for you.)
The packages (programs/libraries) which are already installed for you by default.

The first one is a substantial difference. There are probably four or five popular package managers out there (Yum, Apt, Pacman, etc), and they all have their nice features and different repositories. Which one you choose may impact how easily you can acquire new programs.

#2 almost can't be used as a point of comparison, but it inevitably is. With any Linux system, the vast majority of the code is community-produced and freely available from project web pages. Consider Ubuntu -- it's built with the Linux kernel behind the scenes, a bash shell, and Gnome & Compiz for the front-end. You can get all of those and build a near-perfect Ubuntu knock-off from scratch without ever visiting Ubuntu.com. The bits that make Ubuntu authentically "Ubuntu" are the bits that Canonical (Ubuntu's company) writes that are not pushed out as contributions to those community projects. And while Canonical produces a lot of code, a huge chunk of it goes to the Gnome project and similar.

Imagine this scenario:

An Ubuntu dev finds a critical problem in Gnome. (S)he writes a fix for it and submits it to the Gnome project. A month later, Fedora updates its version of Gnome and now they have the fix. The same scenario could go the other way around.

For one distribution to be "more secure" than the other, there would have to be security issues with those few packages that are exclusively produced for that distribution.

Does that make sense?

(True, there are other aspects like repository security and update frequency / version stability, but for the sake of what I'm describing I'm assuming these are equal.)

Have fun with Fedora! :D

Portmanteaufu, i considered your post to be the most matured one and real one for real time scenarios. when you say:

"An Ubuntu dev finds a critical problem in Gnome. (S)he writes a fix for it and submits it to the Gnome project. A month later, Fedora updates its version of Gnome and now they have the fix. The same scenario could go the other way around."

it makes a great sense. overall, both are linux but one thing is that ubuntu is more more user friendly as compared to fedora. the packages to be installed in fedora may be more a little more typical than ubuntu which has more inbuilt features, that is for sure. and each one is having some advantages and disadvantages, nothing is perfect.

thx for your suggestions. fedor and ubuntu both are good, none is bad but one i have to chose.:)

Pogeymanz
May 4th, 2010, 08:16 PM
If I had to choose between Ubuntu and Fedora, I'd go with Fedora these days.

Ubuntu is a little fatter than Fedora these days and my machines are not top of the line. Fedora also has SELinux configured by default and is usually more cutting edge.

Ubuntu is a little easier, but not really that much. It's mostly Gnome that is responsible for Ubuntu's simplicity, not Canonical.

Portmanteaufu
May 4th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Ubuntu is a little easier, but not really that much. It's mostly Gnome that is responsible for Ubuntu's simplicity, not Canonical.

True! ...although Canonical is responsible for a tremendous amount of Gnome's update activity. Ubuntu's popularity has been a driving force in its development. They've got a symbiotic relationship going on. :)

Since the OP listed "learning Linux" as his/her motivation, perhaps (s)he should consider trying out a distribution like Arch once (s)he "graduates" from Ubuntu/Fedora. That's how I got to know all the guts of the system.

ankit singh
May 4th, 2010, 08:46 PM
I thought fedora is a testing bed for red hat.......................:lolflag:

ankit singh
May 4th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Side-effects of toooo much linux distros..............:confused:

ankit singh
May 4th, 2010, 09:05 PM
You should not ask such questions neither should look for answers to such question on other websites.Every people have their own flavor, u will also discover ur flavor and when this will happen when u urself use want u want. Possibilities are that u might not use ubuntu and fedora both and might go for other linux distributions. If ur confuse between the two , dual boot both OS and see urself and decide.I used ubuntu for the 1st time in dec2009, and before that i used more than 17 linux distros to find ultimately that my taste is debian. (and its also natural for any human being to defend their flavor).

hey Sabayon 5.2 is rocking(have a look at it)

Good luck.

pmbty54
May 4th, 2010, 09:35 PM
You should not ask such questions neither should look for answers to such question on other websites.Every people have their own flavor, u will also discover ur flavor and when this will happen when u urself use want u want. Possibilities are that u might not use ubuntu and fedora both and might go for other linux distributions. If ur confuse between the two , dual boot both OS and see urself and decide.I used ubuntu for the 1st time in dec2009, and before that i used more than 17 linux distros to find ultimately that my taste is debian. (and its also natural for any human being to defend their flavor).

hey Sabayon 5.2 is rocking(have a look at it)

Good luck.

your post shows that you must be an indian guy. and to you, the post was not at all. i don't go for your suggestions, but liked the most matured post of portmanteauf. go and hav a look. if you take so long to recognize your taste, that is your level of skills and the time you take, i cannot help you there.

pmbty54
May 4th, 2010, 09:38 PM
True! ...although Canonical is responsible for a tremendous amount of Gnome's update activity. Ubuntu's popularity has been a driving force in its development. They've got a symbiotic relationship going on. :)

Since the OP listed "learning Linux" as his/her motivation, perhaps (s)he should consider trying out a distribution like Arch once (s)he "graduates" from Ubuntu/Fedora. That's how I got to know all the guts of the system.

both correct.

ankit singh
May 5th, 2010, 05:05 AM
your post shows that you must be an indian guy. and to you, the post was not at all. i don't go for your suggestions, but liked the most matured post of portmanteauf. go and hav a look. if you take so long to recognize your taste, that is your level of skills and the time you take, i cannot help you there.

Time will tell....

Best of luck ):P

ankit singh
May 5th, 2010, 05:39 AM

of course i have skills much lower than u. I just passed my 10th grade

pmbty54
May 5th, 2010, 09:36 AM
of course i have skills much lower than u. I just passed my 10th grade

don't take words otherwise. the only matter to generate a concern in your mind is that here could be discussed all the matter related with linux to have a variant taste as well as mroe info for wider exploration.