PDA

View Full Version : Developing the Hollywood Operating System

mstlyevil
March 20th, 2006, 01:42 AM
I want the operating system I always see on TV and in the movies. I say it is time for us to start development of this system and dump Ubuntu. Here are the basic guidelines for a Hollywood Operating System. Lets see what we can add to improve this and get this bad boy into development.

/************************************/
/* Guidelines to development */
/* on the */
/* HOLLYWOOD OPERATING SYSTEM */
/************************************/

1. Any PERMISSION DENIED has an OVERRIDE function.

2. Complex calculations and loading of huge amounts of data will be
accomplished in under three seconds. In the movies, modems transmit
data at two gigabytes per second.

3. When the power plant/missile site/whatever overheats, all the
control panels will explode, as will the entire building.

4. If you display a file on the screen and someone deletes the file,
it also disappears from the screen. There are no ways to copy a
backup file -- and there are no undelete utilities.

5. If a disk has got encrypted files, you are automatically asked for
a password when you try to access it.

6. No matter what kind of computer disk it is, it'll be readable by
any system you put it into. All application software is usable by all
computer platforms.

7. The more high-tech the equipment, the more buttons it has. However,
everyone must have been highly trained, because the buttons aren't labeled.

8. Most computers, no matter how small, have reality-defying three-dimensional,
real-time, photo-realistic animated graphics capability.

9. Laptops, for some strange reason, always seem to have amazing real-time
video phone capabilities and the performance of a CRAY.

10. Whenever a character looks at a terminal, the image is so bright that it
projects itself onto his/her face.

11. Computers never crash during key, high-intensity activities. Humans
operating computers never make mistakes under stress.

12. (From Independence Day) No matter what kind of virus it is, any computer
can be infected with it -- even an alien spaceship's computer -- simply by
running a virus upload program on a laptop.

13. (From Jurassic Park) A custom system with millions of lines of code
controlling a multimillion dollar theme park can be operated by a 13 year
old who has seen a Unix system before. Seeing an operating system means you
know how to run any application on that system, even custom apps.
Note: What OS was it really running?
(1) "These are super computers". A CrayOS?
(2) "Quicktime movie, Apple logo, trash can." MacOS?
(3) "Reboot. System ready. C:\" DOS?
(4) "Hey, this is Unix. I know this" Unix?
The computers in Jurassic Park were Cray supercomputers running the MacOS
as a graphical shell of DOS all layered on top of a Unix base.

14. You cannot stop a destructive program or virus by unplugging the computer.
Presumably the virus has it's own built-in power supply.

15. You cannot stop a destructive program downloading onto your system by
unplugging the phone line. You must figure out the mandatory "back door"
all evil virus programmers put in.

16. Computers only crash if a virus or a hacker is involved.

17. All text must be at least 72 point.

18. Word processors do not have an insert point.

19. The only way to reboot is to shut off the main power to the building.

20. Passwords can be guessed in three and exactly three tries. If you cannot
guess the password in three tries, you must give up immediately.

21. Any task or program can be executed by simply pressing Enter, no matter
which program or window is in the foreground.

22. All scanners, video cameras and digital cameras have a resolution of
approximately 500 megapixels. Any image can be infinitely magnified with
no pixelization.

23. Security will not improve over time. Nonaffialiated personnel can take
over a space ship without needing an account or access control.
Corollary: Anyone can override access control lists in the future.

24. All hackers wear black T-shirts or Hawaiian shirts.

25. Incoming messages are displayed letter by letter. Email over the Internet
works like telegraphs.

26. Microsoft Windows doesn't exist. Macintosh has a 75% market share.

27. GUI operations, such as image selection and manipulation, can be handled
easily and quickly via the keyboard.

taurus
March 20th, 2006, 01:47 AM
I think this is a little too early for April's fool!!! :-k

TLE
March 20th, 2006, 01:51 AM
LOL. This is great stuff

s|k
March 20th, 2006, 01:57 AM
http://www.digg.com/movies/HOLLYWOOD_OPERATING_SYSTEM

:0

Still funny every time though. :)

MetalMusicAddict
March 20th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Awesome. :)

mstlyevil
March 20th, 2006, 02:00 AM
http://www.digg.com/movies/HOLLYWOOD_OPERATING_SYSTEM

:0

Still funny every time though. :)

I was hoping we could add to these. If anybody gets some ideas, give em to us. :mrgreen:

jason.b.c
March 20th, 2006, 02:14 AM
the operating system I always see on TV and in the movies.

That raises a very interesting question, I've always wondered that myself.!

Like on that show Stargate Sg-1 on the SCI-FI channel, i was watching that show the other night and then it hit me, what the heck is that stuff/system? on there computers on shows like that? :confused: I mean it's got to be some real existing system to even do what it does for the show/movie.:confused:
You see all these crazy and wild 3d effects on the computers screen, images that zoom in and out, window boxes floating in the middle of the screen with what appears to be something like lines of binary code running in it, context menu's that come out of nowhere with the same kinda stuff in them as well and when the actor/person closes some application he/she had running it flips backwards and upside down dissappearing into the background as it closes.

It makes me kinda curious to find out what exactly they use in these movies and tv shows like that?:) :confused:

s|k
March 20th, 2006, 02:18 AM
I was hoping we could add to these. If anybody gets some ideas, give em to us. :mrgreen:

28. Comes preinstalled with software commonly used by government agencies such as the graphical kind that accesses the power-grid for the entire US east coast (Sneakers) or the traffic light system of a major metropolitan city such as Los Angeles (The Italian Job).

psychicdragon
March 20th, 2006, 02:20 AM
From Jurassic Park:

"This is a Unix system. I know this." (http://www.sgi.com/fun/freeware/3d_navigator.html)

Anyone want to try getting it running on Ubuntu?

s|k
March 20th, 2006, 02:22 AM
29. The OS can automatically lock and unlock doors, switch lights on or off, and turn the power on or off in any building it is installed in.

YourSurrogateGod
March 20th, 2006, 02:35 AM
*lol* *lol* *lol* *lol* *lol*

Thanks, mstlyevil, I needed that.

s|k
March 20th, 2006, 02:43 AM
30. The OS's hardware comes with a special drive that accepts all forms of data disks, including those shaped like pens, ultra tiny disks, and anything else of any format, shape, and/or size imaginable.

mstlyevil
March 20th, 2006, 03:04 AM
31. There is a program installed that can hijack and control every item with a computer chip installed in it including items not even connected to the net.

BoyOfDestiny
March 20th, 2006, 03:57 AM
32. If there is a hacking sequence, there must be some stupid 3D thing to show the "hacking"

(Ok one exception, matrix sequel, (http://www.insecure.org/.) You have to scroll down a bit, I wouldn't mind making my OS look like that (that'd be a nice gtk theme... ;) )

dasunst3r
March 20th, 2006, 04:06 AM
Haha... that's funny!

Joshuwa
March 20th, 2006, 04:11 AM
33. Quickly typing 40+ keys, as if writing a message, will open a black and white picture of a person, zoom in on their face, crop the photo, scan it, and bring up a new window of all their information.

BWF89
March 20th, 2006, 04:12 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_OS

Jedeye
March 20th, 2006, 04:18 AM
34. special gloves to manipulate what is on the display

mstlyevil
March 20th, 2006, 04:25 AM
35. People will stand around a table with digits of code streaming from the ceiling as they interact with a 3D image in the middle of the streaming code.

Zeroangel
March 20th, 2006, 04:36 AM
I want the OS that they use on the CSI shows.

s|k
March 20th, 2006, 05:12 AM
36. The OS will have a completely different, random, set of graphics and appearance and functionality for each instance of an installation.

37. It will boot up as quickly as it takes to press the on switch, but will take forever to shut down and will always automatically delete every piece of data on the hard drive when powering off.

jason.b.c
March 20th, 2006, 05:48 AM
#38. System will have sofisticated speech recognition components built in and argue with you when you ask it to do something that it cannot do, and will also correct you when your commands are mispronounced.:)

s|k
March 20th, 2006, 05:57 AM
#39. The OS will lock you out of your spaceship if you happen to use it to travel to Jupiter.

jason.b.c
March 20th, 2006, 07:22 AM
#40.. You can use the ( optional ) wall mounted personal retinal scanner that you installed for security and data encryption purposes.

FLeiXiuS
March 20th, 2006, 07:31 AM
ROFL! Good read in-deed!

Zeroangel
March 20th, 2006, 07:44 AM
#41: Any operation involving accessing encrypted files will display several groups of hashes at the same time for one second each. This has the effect of enhancing the users hacking ability since everyone knows that if you can read these hashes at this speed you will be able to crack the file later.

#42 Due to the advances in cracking software, the program will only need to read about 20 keys when bruteforcing. Then its programmed 'ok i'm dont playing with you now' mode kicks in and it automatically cracks the password.

DaMasta
March 20th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Let's give credit where it's due though. IIRC, in Matrix Reloaded, Trinity used an actual ssh vulnerability to shutoff the power. That's got to count for something.

Zeroangel
March 20th, 2006, 08:37 AM
You mean they still haven't fixed that vulnerabillity? :rolleyes:

lordofkhemenu
March 20th, 2006, 08:41 AM
I want the OS that they use on the CSI shows. They've been known to use Mac OS X with the colors inverse.
I've seen something like this:
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/8212/osxwindowinvert2qw.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Which reverts to this:
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/2999/osxwindow3jv.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I think I saw a couple episodes ago something that was distinctly flwm or fvwm...definitely a windowmanager available on unix/linux and not some "made up" OS.

TLE
March 20th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Let's give credit where it's due though. IIRC, in Matrix Reloaded, Trinity used an actual ssh vulnerability to shutoff the power. That's got to count for something.
Nice piece of trivia man

#43. The computer will be able to solve unreasonable complicated tasks as long as you formulate it the correct way to the verbal command interface (Star Trek)

BoyOfDestiny
March 20th, 2006, 09:31 AM
I guess people ignored my post in this thread... :( I posted a link to the darn thing (matrix nmap hack) with screen caps... Anyway, that exploit was fixed already...

nocturn
March 20th, 2006, 10:00 AM
44. With Hollywood OS, we can start building keyboards without space bars. Nobody in the movies ever thouch them, even when typing E-mails.
So, HollywoodOS must have some built-in auto-space function :-)

TLE
March 20th, 2006, 10:42 AM
I guess people ignored my post in this thread... :( I posted a link to the darn thing (matrix nmap hack) with screen caps... Anyway, that exploit was fixed already...
Sorry man no disrespect intended. I think your link is broken though (it includes the last parentheses), so it leads to the correct page but with an error saying that the subpage can not be found, I found the pics. though by searching the site.

DaMasta
March 20th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Yeah, sorry. I skimmed. My apologies.

BoyOfDestiny
March 20th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the replies (just feeling a bit touchy... final exams and paper due soon ;) )

I went ahead and fixed the hyperlink.

Alpha_toxic
March 20th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Some time ago in a very stupid movie (I don't even remember the name) there was sth like this:
A virus that can travel along the electrical wiring (!!), get into practicaly anything, and kill people through the monitor or the TV screen. It would emit some special light waves and you'r cells would start produce calcium and you would dry out in a matter of secconds ("produce" calcium? like I'm a nucklear reactor or sth...). It even electrocuted a blind man through his braille-pad (I'm not sure if this is the correct word) cause he didn't have a monitor.

In another movie, a line regarding the greatest hacker in the world:
"He even created his own schema of file extentions!!!"
like I can't do that my self... Plus his extentions were like .HNG = <His Name> is God (put his name instead of "His Name"), not very practical...

twowheeler
March 20th, 2006, 01:14 PM
45. A person from the future would be able to type on a standard 1990s-type computer for 20 seconds, and make it display a rotating, 3D image of a complex molecule that no one in that time has ever seen before. (Star Trek)

LordBug
March 20th, 2006, 02:45 PM
46. It must contain the ability to shift-control-click a non-descript icon in the web browser. This action will randomly hack into some super-secret government database. (The Net)

Havoc
March 20th, 2006, 03:47 PM
This is a list from www.moviecliches.com

# Word processors never display a cursor.

# You never have to use the space-bar when typing long sentences.

# Movie character never make typing mistakes.

# All monitors display inch-high letters.

# High-tech computers, such as those used by NASA, the CIA, or some such governmental institution, will have easy to understand graphical interfaces.

# Those that don't, have incredibly powerful text-bases command shells that can correctly understand and execute commands typed in plain english.

# Corollary: you can gain access to any information you want by simply typing "ACCESS ALL OF THE SECRET FILES" on any keyboard

# Likewise, you can infect a computer with a destructive virus by simply typing "UPLOAD VIRUS" (see "Fortress")

# All computers are connected. You can access the information on the villain's desktop computer, even if it's turned off.

# Powerful computers beep whenever you press a key or whenever the screen changes. Some computers also slow down the output on the screen so that it doesn't go faster than you can read. The *really* advanced ones also emulate the sound of a dot-matrix printer.

# All computer panels have thousands of volts and flash pots just underneath the surface. Malfunctions are indicated by a bright flash, a puff of smoke, a shower of sparks, and an explosion that forces you backwards.

# People typing away on a computer will turn it off without saving the data.

# A hacker can get into the most sensitive computer in the world before intermission and guess the secret password in two tries.

# Any PERMISSION DENIED has an OVERRIDE function (see "Demolition Man" and countless others).

# Complex calculations and loading of huge amounts of data will be accomplished in under three seconds. Movie modems usually appear to transmit data at the speed of two gigabytes per second.

# When the power plant/missile site/whatever overheats, all the control panels will explode, as will the entire building.

# If you display a file on the screen and someone deletes the file, it also disappears from the screen (e.g Clear and Present Danger).

# If a disk has got encrypted files, you are automagically asked for a password when you try to access it.

# No matter what kind of computer disk it is, it'll be readable by any system you put it into. All application software is usable by all computer platforms.

# The more high-tech the equipment, the more buttons it has (Aliens). However, everyone must have been highly trained, because the buttons aren't labelled.

# Most computers, no matter how small, have reality-defying three-dimensional, active animation, photo-realistic graphics capability.

# Laptops, for some strange reason, always seem to have amazing real-time video phone capabilities and the performance of a CRAY Supercomputer.

# Whenever a character looks at a VDU, the image is so bright that it projects itself onto his/her face (see "Alien", "2001").

\\:D/

P.S.: Some of them are posted here previously.

exkalibur
March 20th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Computer should be a 3D holographic representation of a gorgeous "insert gender here" that you interact verbally with........:rolleyes:

rcmiv
March 20th, 2006, 04:17 PM
#38. System will have sofisticated speech recognition components built in and argue with you when you ask it to do something that it cannot do, and will also correct you when your commands are mispronounced.:)

Corollary - If you can convince the computer it's incorrect using emotional arguments that defy its meticulous inner logic, the computer will explode.

-rcmiv

jason.b.c
March 23rd, 2006, 08:47 AM
Just wanted to see this one go a little more.:)

#47..After pressing the power button the OS will always launch programs that you have already removed from it's startup a countless number of times..:rolleyes:

Jussi Kukkonen
March 23rd, 2006, 11:24 AM
#48: (from the Human Interface Guidelines for HollywoodOS: )
Any comparative analysis (like fingerprint/face recognition) MUST show the visual representations of the things that are compared flashing on the screen.

Sirin
March 23rd, 2006, 01:27 PM
#49 (Resident Evil: Apocolypse) It should have a snazzy interface, which makes a zooming sound when a window is resized.

#50 (Also from RE:Apoc) It should locate a person within a matter of seconds, using a 3D interface that not even Google can dream of.

YourSurrogateGod
March 25th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Dunno if it was mentioned before.

Has anyone found the OS that the aliens had in Independence Day pretty sad? I mean the guy wrote a virus in order to destabilize the mothership for it without ever knowing the API or any weaknesses. I mean what did the invaders do? Did they visit planet Earth beforehand and bought the first copy of Windows ME?

mstlyevil
March 26th, 2006, 03:51 AM
Dunno if it was mentioned before.

Has anyone found the OS that the aliens had in Independence Day pretty sad? I mean the guy wrote a virus in order to destabilize the mothership for it without ever knowing the API or any weaknesses. I mean what did the invaders do? Did they visit planet Earth beforehand and bought the first copy of Windows ME?

I think they failed to install an alien firewall. Those darn aliens should really practice safer computer security habbits and quit visiting alien prOn web sites. :mrgreen:

NeoGreen
March 26th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Ha ha ha, makes you think how many people in this world don't realize how things really work. I mean even the film makers don't realize the complexity of a simple virus program and what is needed to make it work. ;)

YourSurrogateGod
March 26th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Ha ha ha, makes you think how many people in this world don't realize how things really work. I mean even the film makers don't realize the complexity of a simple virus program and what is needed to make it work. ;)
I don't have much respect for the majority of people who participate in the making of American cinema (which is putrid garbage when it comes to portraying something realistic or historical.) They do a good job of making entertaining stories.

3rdalbum
March 26th, 2006, 07:14 AM
I think they failed to install an alien firewall. Those darn aliens should really practice safer computer security habbits and quit visiting alien prOn web sites. :mrgreen:

A friend of mine actually found a video online of ET with a human woman. That was some disturbing stuff, although I could never figure out why ET was wearing a Wu Tang jumper...

51. Turning the monitor off will shut down the whole computer.

52. Turning the computer off will erase all evidence that you were using it.

53. HollywoodOS has amazing compression software which allows you to store full-motion video footage onto a 1.4 meg floppy

54. HollywoodOS applications are written in Python, because it only takes two hours to write a program. It only takes one hour when HollywoodOS is running on a futuristic space-plane. (Stargate SG1)

55. No matter what a piece of computer code does, it never accepts any arguments or returns any values. Entire holographic characters can be developed on HollywoodOS using only sub-routines. (Star Trek Voyager)

infoseeker
March 26th, 2006, 10:57 AM
56. Blasting a security access keypad with a shotgun disables the entire buildings security system, giving free access to all entrances.

pdaoust
May 7th, 2006, 11:05 PM
I dunno if anyone is a fan of the TV series Alias, but KDE figured pretty largely in that show. Most of the workstations in the lobby of the CIA HQ ran KDE, as did Marshall Flinkman's workstations. (Marshall was the rockingest TV geek ever.)

Apparently, however, AIM for Windows is the preferred channel for clandestine communications between moles.

TheFourElements
May 7th, 2006, 11:27 PM
57. Whenever you are looking at a security video you can rotate the camera angle a full 360 degrees even though it doesn't move and doesn't have x-ray capabilities

RavenOfOdin
May 7th, 2006, 11:41 PM
I'm absolutely surprised no one included THIS:

58. Your computer hardware must be non-existent; the names for said hardware pulled out of a grab bag - the capabilities not met by current technology. (Hackers)

59. The OS must guarantee you the ability to infect offshore oil rigs with a super virus. (See above)