PDA

View Full Version : Gnome commission!!!

nene7
May 4th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Hi i want to know if Red Hat, Suse enterprises, etc... that use as default desktop Gnome, KDE, etc... make commission to their proyect or just explode them!!!

samjh
May 4th, 2010, 03:12 AM
I'm not sure what you're asking. Gnome has its own project leaders and official developers, some of whom are employed by Red Hat and Novell. The same goes for KDE, which has developers from commercial companies.

Gnome and KDE do not need any other organisational bodies apart from what they already have.

MaxIBoy
May 4th, 2010, 03:25 AM
The Ubuntu developers aren't paid to include GNOME, if that's what you're asking.

nene7
May 4th, 2010, 03:42 AM
hi what i tried to say is that(example) Red Hat sell their service and their operative system with some open source integrate like Firefox. Does Red Hat use Firefox like their own or if they support with money or whatever?

MaxIBoy
May 4th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Sometimes they'll donate money. Other times they'll hire people to help out with the work on the software they use. But it varies from company to company.

RedHat usually hires people. For example, they hire people to work on the Nouveau graphics drivers as well as the kernel, and I think they also pay people to work for Gnome. RedHat usually doesn't donate a lot of actual money, as far as I know.
Canonical (Ubuntu) doesn't donate money either. I think it hires a few people, but Canonical is much smaller than RedHat.
IBM donates a lot of money (hundreds of millions of dollars a year to various projects,) but I don't think it hires very many people to work on upstream products.
Google does both.