PDA

View Full Version : This should be included in the default Ubuntu install.

undecim
May 3rd, 2010, 10:53 PM
http://mypaint.intilinux.com/

It's in the repos.

I wish my tablet was working now... stupid badly-built HP laptop.

speedwell68
May 3rd, 2010, 11:18 PM
That is awesome. Don't think it should be part of a default install though.

undecim
May 3rd, 2010, 11:25 PM
That is awesome. Don't think it should be part of a default install though.

I thought it would be a good alternative to MSPaint, since GIMP doesn't come with the default install anymore.

speedwell68
May 3rd, 2010, 11:38 PM
I thought it would be a good alternative to MSPaint, since GIMP doesn't come with the default install anymore.

Actually you have a point there. What is the default 'paint' alternative in Ubuntu?

cariboo
May 4th, 2010, 01:12 AM
I don't think it will become a default app until almost everyone has a wacom tablet.

kmsalex
May 4th, 2010, 02:34 AM
there's open office draw but its a little large and cumbersum for the kind of use most people us ms paint for. on a side not the table isn't a Pavilion tx1000 is it?

detroit/zero
May 4th, 2010, 02:45 AM
there's open office draw but its a little large and cumbersum for the kind of use most people us ms paint for. on a side not the table isn't a Pavilion tx1000 is it?
OODraw is horrible. GPaint is garbage. GIMP is overkill for things like that (and you have to read a tutorial to draw a straight line, FFS).

KolourPaint for KDE is the best program I've run across to date as far as paint programs go. It's in the repos (as kolourpaint4, I think) - but watch out, you're going to pull in kubuntu-desktop with it.

undecim
May 4th, 2010, 04:04 AM
I don't think it will become a default app until almost everyone has a wacom tablet.

It doesn't require a wacom tablet, it's just compatible with it. I'm having fun with it just using my touchpad.

the table isn't a Pavilion tx1000 is it?

TouchSmart tx2

Frogs Hair
May 4th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Just installed My Paint it's a fun toy.

jcwmoore
May 4th, 2010, 04:12 AM
ubuntu needs a simple "paint" type program included, the gimp is great but a little over whelming when all i need to do is crop a screen shot and paste it into an email.

Rasa1111
May 4th, 2010, 04:25 AM
ubuntu needs a simple "paint" type program included, the gimp is great but a little over whelming when all i need to do is crop a screen shot and paste it into an email.

"Take screenshot" under accessories works pretty well for just that.
It gives the option to
"grab the whole desktop"
"grab the current window"
or
"Select area to grab"

the last one works great,
no need to crop anything after.

chappajar
May 5th, 2010, 03:34 PM

Try KolourPaint (in the repos). It's basically an MSPaint clone with one or two extra features.

ingvildr
May 5th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I'm hoping Pinta http://pinta-project.com/ makes it into 10.10 as the mspaint equivalent.

whiskeylover
May 5th, 2010, 03:45 PM
"Take screenshot" under accessories works pretty well for just that.
It gives the option to
"grab the whole desktop"
"grab the current window"
or
"Select area to grab"

the last one works great,
no need to crop anything after.

What if someone wants to crop an existing image?

JohnnyC35
May 5th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I think it would be good if the Ubuntu install showed you what software would be installed beforehand and you can deselect it. Not that it would give you other choices maybe but if you Abiword and Gnumeric rather than OpenOffice, you could deselect OO and then after installation install A/G. I know there is the mini-iso and it works for most but apparently it doesn't like me :P :(

(hmm I should update my sig sometime)

hackb0y294
May 5th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Yeah, it would be nice if Ubuntu included some light, fast MS Paint replacement. This program looks pretty good.

Chilli Bob
May 5th, 2010, 03:50 PM
If you are after a basic paint program, try mtPaint. It's included with most Puppys and works quite well, if not the most attractive looking app.

http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/

Sealbhach
May 5th, 2010, 03:59 PM
http://mypaint.intilinux.com/

It's in the repos.

I wish my tablet was working now... stupid badly-built HP laptop.

That's really cool, I like the simple non-threatening interface. It would be a nice addition to the default distro.

Foster Grant
May 5th, 2010, 05:19 PM

GIMP isn't a vector graphics Paint-type program, though. You're thinking of something like Inkscape, which is an excellent open-source vector-graphics editor.

Merk42
May 5th, 2010, 05:22 PM
What if someone wants to crop an existing image?

F-Spot

Included in default install and has a big button called "Crop"

zekopeko
May 5th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I'm hoping Pinta http://pinta-project.com/ makes it into 10.10 as the mspaint equivalent.

Seconded. It's already near the feature parity of Paint.NET. I think it would be perfect for a simple paint app.

undecim
May 5th, 2010, 07:14 PM
GIMP isn't a vector graphics Paint-type program, though. You're thinking of something like Inkscape, which is an excellent open-source vector-graphics editor.

MSPaint isn't a vector graphics program either. MSPaint is dead simple and kinda fun for most new computer users. There are no layers, no paths, just pixels and tools to change their color.

Ubuntu has nothing like that. We don't need something complicated, it just needs a dead-simple interface. Something like GIMP, but with less features and a single window would be great.

MaxIBoy
May 5th, 2010, 07:24 PM
GIMP was removed from the default install because F-Spot gained the ability to do simple rotating/cropping/converting type editing, and it was thought that most people only used GIMP for that anyway. (I don't necessarily agree.) MyPaint is totally useless for such tasks, so while it's a great program and I love using it, it's clear that the Ubuntu developers don't want to include any image editor for creating new art. Just the kind of thing granny could use to fix up her digital photos.

Personally, I like using a net-install image. Problem solved, nothing is included by default. :) As a pure live-image operating system, Puppy Linux is a better choice than Ubuntu anyway.