PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Starting my own server...

Chlorhydrikk
May 3rd, 2010, 03:27 PM
Hello ;)
I have an old a249.fr from HP that I would like to turn into a server.
Why? Well, I would be glad to download some essential files from anywhere I have Internet, and to host some rooms on games like Counter Strike...
I really don't know anything about servers. I just have an iso of Ubuntu Server Edition (the newest one) and my will :)
Hope you guys will help me ;)

CharlesA
May 3rd, 2010, 03:41 PM
Install the OS and go from there. It's not really that hard to set up a server.

I would suggest using SFTP/SSH to manage/transfer file to/from the machine.

As for hosting counter strike, I am not sure how that would work, but there are probably guides for doing that.

Halfbrazilian
May 3rd, 2010, 03:47 PM
If you need secure access to your files, you can use scp with a ssh server to transfer your files. It is as simple as typing

sudo apt-get install ssh

Once installed, use scp from the command line like this:

scp localFileToCopy user@hostname:remoteLocationToCopyTo

or

scp user@hostname:remoteFileToCopy localLocationToCopyTo

Also, you can use ssh user@hostname to connect in a remote command line if you simply want to manage your system.

If you like GUIs, you can use the "connect to server" option in Ubuntu, Filezilla on both Windows and Linux, or WinSCP in Windows.

Putty can be used for ssh sessions if you are using Windows.

As far as the Counter-Strike stuff goes, I never tried it. I would recommend Google.

Chlorhydrikk
May 3rd, 2010, 03:49 PM
Thank you ;)
I'm going to install it and then ask for any advanced help ;)

PS: Halfbrazilian, vocÍ fala portuguÍs?

qstraza
May 3rd, 2010, 04:17 PM
Hello ;)
I have an old a249.fr from HP that I would like to turn into a server.
Why? Well, I would be glad to download some essential files from anywhere I have Internet, and to host some rooms on games like Counter Strike...
I really don't know anything about servers. I just have an iso of Ubuntu Server Edition (the newest one) and my will :)
Hope you guys will help me ;)
Llywelyn

I can help you with CS if you like, its really simple, all you need to do is download hlds from steampowered and run it with proper arguments. You need to open ports also, not only TCP but UDP too

let us know your progress.

dudumomo
May 3rd, 2010, 06:49 PM
Very interesting to start a server ! I did it 1 or 2 months ago and I really enjoy that !
(I've done several tutorial by the way, check my signature)